Truth or Dare (2012)

Truth or Dare Fragrance Notes

Truth or Dare information

Truth or Dare is a women's fragrance by Madonna. The scent was launched in 2012

Reviews of Truth or Dare

Showing 1 to 6 of 12 reviews.
    positive 10 Positive Reviewsneutral2 Neutral Reviewsnegative No Negative Reviews

Practically Perfect's avatar

Ok. So hands up, I'm a Frag-head and a Snob (capital S). My collection includes some very expensive niche brands, I'm a slave to discontinued Annick Goutal and L'Artisan, Uncle Serge is my hero, but this, this cheap celeb juice gets people every single time. I don't want to admit that one of my most complimented fragrances is bought for £9.99 (incl postage) from eBay - but it is. I don't want to admit that I cringe when people ask me what I'm wearing, and when I wear this they always ask, and then I have to say a celebrity name - but it is. I decant it so I don't have to carry the, frankly vile, bottle around. My boyfriend's friends ask me what I'm wearing and want to buy it for their girlfriends. Yes, it's a loose, modern Fracas, but what the heck! She's done a good job on this one has our Madge. It's sexy, floral, deeper than you'd expect, no hint of 'clean' (which is so popular these days), no sugary vanilla, and just enough musk on the dry down - it is, I'm embarrassed to admit, my go-to frag most days. And I have three, yep three, back up bottles in my collection. I guess the good thing about getting older is that you stop worrying about what other people think and just please yourself: I please myself, and others, by wearing this often. And for 10 quid, blind buy, what can go wrong?

07 November, 2014

babsbendix's avatar

I caught the perfume bug very young, and White Shoulders and Fracas were two of my early favorites. Given all of that formative white floral precedent, Truth or Dare feels like an old friend to me, and I grabbed a big bottle when it first launched. I've grabbed yet more of them now that it can be found so inexpensively! I like its funny combination of excess and restraint - the florals are SO heady and opaque, and then the base is rather sheer, and stops short of being as thick and sweet and gooey as I'd thought it would get. Most people feel that Fracas is a better fragrance, though at this point, I don't. Maybe it's my memory, maybe it's the reformulation, but Fracas smells thin to me now. I prefer the happy, sweet voluptuousness of Truth or Dare.

28 February, 2014

jtd's avatar

Madonna's schtick has been to tie her name and brand to concepts that are just new enough to be recognizable and exciting, but unformed enough that she can take them without most people knowing that she didn’t invent them. She's not the spark of innovation, she's the gallon of gasoline poured on it.

Madonna flack would have you believe that Truth or Dare is a tribute to classical perfumery. All it took was one word: Fracas. Nest this word in the yarn about the perfume that Madonna's mother used to wear and the story just writes itself. It edifies Madonna's current reformulation as Contempo-Classic British Lady, and connotes a tasteful lineage.

Despite the attempt to link it to Fracas via the use of tuberose, Truth or Dare is an archetypal mall perfume, and its arc from Big Launch to Sephora’s Latest to Internet Bargain had to have been part of the strategy. Madonna aims high hoping that we won't notice the low quality. An appropriate frame of reference for what Truth or Dare might have been is Juicy Couture by Juicy Couture. Juicy Couture dazzles you with its spangle, makes you drop your expectations to the floor and then startles you with a gorgeous perfume. The horror here, and what should haunt perfume producers but apparently doesn't, is that quality come as a surprise.

Sadly, Truth or Dare doesn't surprise. At least not at first. A certain period of the heart notes has an eye-opening touch of Sécrétions Magnifiques. If this was intentional, bravo! But then again, the question: did Madge just 'appropriate' Sécrétions Magnifiques's polluted port-of-call note from Etat Libre d'Orange as she did voguing from the 1980s Harlem Ball culture?

Madonna: bandit or semantic genius?

15 December, 2013 (Last Edited: 19 June, 2014)

Arij's avatar

Tuberose by any other name...

If you're a dude who loves tuberose, but finds Fracas too stuffy and staid, thought Poision is too loud, or thinks that Tubereuse Criminelle is too medicinal, then this is your gem. I agree with most reviewers that this is a modern/lighter version of Fracas, which allows itself to drydown to a smooth creamy vanilla/amber tuberose. I hate gardenia, so thankfully I don't pick up on it too strongly on my skin from this - in fact, the tuberose and amber stand out most in my case. Definitely unisex, if you're already looking into this alley, such as the three others aforementioned. Sillage is extreme, with a strong 6 hours of outright projection and 10+ hours of longevity close to skin. If this sounds like your thing, get it now before Coty reformulate it to a candied floral. The ingredient quality (perfume listed as second on box) is too good to pass up.

Pros: Honest celebriscent, Quality ingredients, Great tuberose.
    Cons: Cloying, Extreme longevity."

28 October, 2013

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Decent White Floral / Tuberose

Truth or Dare smells like Fracas at first whiff - a rounded full petaled white floral - buttery ,sweet tuberose ....but has not got the complexity , heft nor the clean warm sexy floral skin that I get in the dry down of Fracas. Perhaps, Truth or Dare ..being a a modern scent - evolves differently ,built differently - but the idea / source behind Truth or Dare .... i.e *Fracas * is 100 % there - an inspiration. It is one of Madonna's favorite scents.
    If you like big white buttery florals and sweetness - this is a good one. if you like Kim Kardashian's perfume, Michael Kors etc - you should try Truth or Dare.
    I like Truth or Dare very very much . I think Madonna did a good job although she borrowed the idea 'lock stock and 2 smoking barrels " ( ref. Guy Ritchie ;D ) from Germaine Cellier !
    The bottle shape is horrible , grotesque- like a small portable coffin. Really - Madonna could have done bettter with that.

Pros: Creamy Tuberose/ gardenia impression
    Cons: Non original "

15 August, 2013

Bal a Versailles's avatar

Take a Bow

Truth or Dare is better than I expected, much better. It has grown on me. Today I wore Fracas solid perfume (very subtle) behind the ears and on the wrist. If I were to apply Truth or Dare I would spray the small of my back only. I like the sparkling orange blossom in Truth or Dare. I guess that's the gardenia vying with the tuberose, the jasmine vying with the musk. And I like the bottle, it reminds me of the strings of milk glass beads, (Trifari, I think) bracelets and necklaces in my drawers that need restringing. I have tried this fragrance several times and dismissed it as being a Fracas imposter, but today with a direct comparison to Fracas I noticed the nuances and the sparkle and have reviewed accordingly.

Pros: You deserve an award for the role that you played
    Cons: This masquerade is getting older

01st July, 2013

Truth or Dare by Madonna 4 Piece Gift Set for Women New In Box
    • Listing Type: Buy it Now
    • Time Left: 11 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    Truth or Dare perfume by Madonna NEW SEALED 1.0 Fl. Oz.
    • Time Left: 4 days