Truth or Dare (2012)

HouseMadonna
PerfumerStephen Nilsen
Parent CompanyBenckiser > Coty Inc > Coty Prestige

About Truth or Dare

Truth or Dare is a feminine perfume by Madonna. The scent was launched in 2012 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Stephen Nilsen

Truth or Dare fragrance notes

Reviews of Truth or Dare

I had expected a 'tuberose-bomb' after the reviews, but it turned out it is too sweet for my taste. The first moment is really the best of this perfume for me - a dash of white florals, smelling expensive, promising something exquisite. But the base of amber, vanilla and benzoin are just too powerful building a thick sugary sweetness against which the florals don't stand a chance. It stepped into the 'candy'-territory for me, too much so to convey elegance.
The fluid is tinted and left a dark-orange shade stain (the colour of ToD Naked) for several days on the tester strip - so it might be good to avoid contact with white clothes, even if it should be washed out easily. Excellent longevity.

This perfume requires a certain personaity to be worn, nothing for shy, sensitive or dreamy/romantic girls - I could imagine this on a younger lady who doesn't hesitate to come over as assertive and bold, nor wouldn't care about anyone's opinion: A strong-willed, practical woman with a self-confident attitude and manners who loves doing things in a grand scale. Pretty much something Madonna could wear herself if she wanted to!
28th March, 2017
Top Notes: Neroli, Gardenia, Tuberose.

Heart Notes: Jasmine, Benzoin, Lily.

Base Notes: Musk, Amber, Vanilla.

Truth or Dare is a pretty, feminine white floral that is a near dupe of Fracas. Unlike Fracas, however, ToD features a prominent benzoin note and finishes with a simpler base of musk, amber, and vanilla. I blindly purchased both ToD and Truth or Dare Naked. Of the two, I like Truth or Dare Naked better. This is not to say I do not like ToD because I do. However, the quality of ToD is not as high as Fracas, and I already own Fracas, so I am unlikely to repurchase ToD once it is used up.

ToD is not a bad fragrance for its price point, but I cannot say it is very special. However, as it is a reasonably good dupe of Fracas, if Fracas is out of your budget, you certainly would not go wrong in purchasing ToD. Both of Madonna's fragrances are now discontinued, however, so if you are interested in trying them, I suggest you purchase them now whilst there are still plenty of bottles left on the market.

Fragrance: 6/10

Projection: 5/10

Sillage: 5/10

Longevity: 5/10
14th June, 2016
Truth or Dare is the 21st century Fracas! Love both!
10th October, 2015
I'm a little wary of celebrity scents in general, however, I decided to try Madonna's fragrances for a couple reasons. Though I haven't felt inclined to listen to her music or keep up with her in over a decade, I have a huge soft spot for this living style & music legend who influenced my adolescence so much. When I saw that she had a couple of her own fragrances, I instantly thought of her appreciation for vintage and classic movie stars/style, and I crossed my fingers hoping for that old school, classy Madonna to shine through.

Boy, did she ever! Where do I even begin? I guess with a warning: You must love white florals to appreciate this gem. If you're the type who is sensitive to white florals, let the blindingly white bottle stand as a blatant indication of what's inside, and run far, far away!

However, if you can appreciate intense white floral notes, you simply MUST try this one. The tuberose is relentless and booming, it wafts around you for hours. It may take several minutes for the more subtle notes to start shining through and lending a little bit of spice and creaminess. Madonna certainly succeeded in creating something "classical and timeless yet modern". Truly gorgeous and dangerously intoxicating. There's just one thing: I wouldn't suggest this for casual wear - I'll personally be reserving this for the times I need to feel a little more elegant or confident, say for classy dinner parties or higher-end restaurants.

Lastly, this is one of the most powerful fragrances I've ever tried in terms of sillage and longevity. I didn't expect much for the price, but I was unbelievably stoked after my first spray.

Breathless Mahoney, ahoy!
06th April, 2015
When I wear this people come in closer to smell it. It is my new fave. I like the bottle. Its suppose to be Holy Water.
20th February, 2015 (last edited: 15th August, 2015)
Truth or Dare by Madonna is one of my favorite celebrity scents and I (love to) wear it. The opening is rather generic with billowy white floral and a dash of aldehydes, but the rapid transition to animalic white floral adds a brilliant and modern twist. The tuberose, so loud in the opening, fades to the background and exposes a hefty dose of orange blossom and lily. Several reviewers describe the dry down as caramel or amber, but to me, ToD is all about the buttered popcorn. Compared to Fracas, ToD is almost “gourmand” and is stripped of most of the shrill green jasmine. The peach and oakmoss accords have been removed and the white florals are creamy instead of soapy. To me, ToD is a substantial departure from its inspiration and I would not consider one a replacement for the other.

The way Stephen Nilsen handled the relatively inexpensive ingredients deserves some recognition—to me ToD smells like it was plucked out of an ELDO lineup. I wonder if an ELDO collaboration would have produced a truly ground-breaking perfume or if Madonna is simply doing what she does best—repackaging, rebranding, and repurposing.

27th December, 2014