Batucada (2011)

PerfumerKarine Vinchon-Spehner
Parent CompanyPuig Beauty & Fashion Group
Parent Company at launchFox Paine & Company > Cradle Holdings

About Batucada

Batucada is a shared / unisex perfume by L'Artisan Parfumeur. The scent was launched in 2011 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Karine Vinchon-Spehner

Batucada fragrance notes

Reviews of Batucada

This is pure calone on me, and it a total scrubber. I have 2mL, and hate it so much that I won't even be finishing the sample. Awful, awful, awful.
08th October, 2016
I feel like the crux of Batacuda's performance, much like a crappy mixed drink at a bar, is too much sugar. The fruity, playful, and alcoholic aspects of the fragrance are not bolsterd, but rather bogged down by an excess of syrupy sugar. This effect diminishes a bit with time, but the opening is too thick, the drydown a little too spare, and the perfect balancing point in mid-transition is over far too quickly. Overall this does remind me of fruity chewing gum from the early 90's. It is kind of immature in spirit, but I concede that it is fun. Certainly a once-in-a-while party scent.
04th January, 2016
From a sample....
Batucada in Brazilian culture is a form of the Samba dance charachterized by a fast and repetitive motion. What that has to do with the name of this fragrance is anybody's guess as is L'Artisan's intentions behind this fragrance. I believe Batucada is the product of a designer trying too hard to create an interesting and complex representation of another house's success. In this case it seems to be an attempt to replicate Creed EROLFA, MI and Virgin Island Water rolled into one. The end result is a fragrance that has sweet fruit mojito, tropical floral, mint, coconut, sea brine, soft woods and sharp woods that's brought altogether in a calone tonic mess. There's absolutely nothing interesting here and the mix of notes and transition is nauseating and headache inducing. L'Artisan has some interesting and compelling fragrances, however Batucada is not one of them and better left to the Carnivale.
17th April, 2015
OK, so Batucada is a fairly dumb tropical fruity floral, but I don't hate it nearly as much as my fellow reviewers. After a quick shot of sparkly fruit punch (mostly peach, strawberry, and pineapple, to my nose), it settles down to a cumin-inflected skin smell mixed with hints of salt air and rum, while the pineapple lasts into the drydown.

Honestly, I've had the best luck with Batucada in cold weather, which brings out a slightly indolic coconutty ylang that I could be called a neutered tribute to Black Orchid, but provides a good foil for the pineapple/rum combo.
21st November, 2014
Great Summer Scent That Goes Skin Too Quickly...

Batucada opens up very promising. The lime, mint, sugar, and floral combination are alluring and perfect for extremely hot weather conditions. Because I travel often to Miami and the Caribbean where I spend most of the time outdoors under extreme heat, I was looking exactly for what Batucada offers. Let's face it. There are many citrus compositions out there. But most of them aren't designed to be worn outside for long periods of time under an extremely hot sun and humid weather.

Batucada meets my expectations, but unfortunately only for a short period of time. Batucada shines and delivers on its promise during the first 60 minutes, but as it is the case with most LAP fragrances, it goes downhill from that point forward. The more aquatic notes begin to take over, the lime, mint, and sugar notes disappear, the floral notes become softer, and what I'm left with is some aquatic note that makes the initial caipirinha drink smell turn into what is left at the bottom of the glass once I'm finished drinking it. A combination of a watery residue of the drink mixed w/ ice and some added light floral note.

After 1 hour or so, Batucada has totally gone skin on me. There is no silage or projection at that point in time. I need to re-apply it again and again all day long to get that delicious first 60 minutes smell again. I've left with a skin smell that resembles what my skin smells like at the end of the day after coming in and out the beach or a swimming pool multiple times during the day: an aquatic, watery, fresh feel mixed with my own skin smell.

And this is the same story and experience I've had with other LAP fragrances. It seems to me that LAP strategy is to allure customers with beautiful and unique compositions and maximize their profit margins by delivering these in low oil concentrations. For most part, LAP's fragrances are very poor performers.

Batucada's score as a summer or hot weather fragrance, for the first 60 minutes: 9/10, after the first 30 minutes: 3/10.

One more note...

To those who say that this composition smells like sunscreen, I totally disagree. A a tropical lime drink with some flowers accords, yes...as a coconut sunscreen, definitely not. I wish I could detect coconut (I love that tropical scent)...but contrary to the published notes, there is no coconut smell here at all and not sunscreen smell.
16th June, 2014 (last edited: 02nd July, 2014)
Nothing too special with this one. Smells close to Tommy Bahama St. Sail St. Barts. Has a salty note in there somewhere that I don't care for. For the price, I would go with St. Sail St. Barts. 6/10
13th June, 2014

Add your review of Batucada

Shop for Batucada products online

Search Amazon for Batucada

Member images of Batucada

There are no member images of Batucada yet. Why not be the first?