Artek Standard (2009)

HouseComme des Garçons
Created ForArtek
PerfumerOlivier Pescheux

About Artek Standard

Artek Standard is a shared / unisex perfume by Comme des Garçons. The scent was launched in 2009 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Olivier Pescheux

Artek Standard fragrance notes

Reviews of Artek Standard

I so much wanted to like this. The the concept, the sizzle, the physical aesthetics, were perfect for me, and I am more that open to CdG's modernist shtick. I even own Artek furniture. I almost bought the fragrance upon first card spritz in the store. Thank goodness the lovely folks at Aedes de Venustas instructed me to take a sample instead and give it a proper trial. Alas, I ultimately had to admit after a couple of test drives that all that remains after Artek Standard's first hour is Eau de HampsterCage -- cedar shavings and not much else.
28th April, 2015
I happen to really like Standard. To me, it encapsulates a gorgeous, modern, Calatrava glass-and-steel skyscraper. I do get a whiff of cleaning fluid at the get go (it has a remarkable resemblance to Fantastik), but I also get the fennel, and the ginger (although I get more of a pickled sushi ginger than the fresh root) and the hint of metal. There's a certain sterility, like that skyscraper, that is somehow beautiful in this context.

It is eminently wearable, minimalist but unique, and smells great on.

My problem is that I can't shake the feeling that Standard is what you wear to the suit-and-tie soulless consulting job you hate to try to assert the last shred of individuality you are clinging to before you finally quit. I have a friend who is in exactly in that situation right now, and I can't imagine anything else that he would wear.

Thumbs up anyway for a lovely composition, and the Calatrava architectural image I keep getting.
07th August, 2014
Delightfully aromatic top notes. Airy and clean and I don’t recognize the cause: Previous reviewers said synthetic… cleaning fluid… Finnish Labrador tea… metallic… lemon, cedar, ginger, incense. All these descriptions are true, and yet they are not exactly true. But don’t look to me, either… I don’t have the vocabulary for what is exactly the true description of this fragrance. Lucky Scent calls it “highly diffusive” and that is a very good description of what impresses me most about this fragrance.

CdG’s Standard is anything but standard. It is a genius abstraction, a “natural” synthetic, a bizarre familiarity. As peculiar as it is, it is subtle and an easy wear. I love it.
04th May, 2014
ION-ONE Show all reviews
I've been wearing ARTEK for over a year. The fragrance that got me into fragrance. It never fails to put a smile on my face.

Rei Kawakubo is the queen of collaborations - From CDG collabos with H&M through to Hermes via Speedo and Moncler. Artek have fitted out the furnishings for some of the CDG concept stores, so a collaborative fragrance ... why not! This fragrance shows how novel directions can be achieved when perfumery breaks out of its 'fashion' shackles.

Initial application is bonkers, no waiting for the alcohol to evaporate - the notes (lemon, woods, metal, pepper, pine-needles) burst out of the understated bottle and jostle for position. the anarchic opening soon settles and order is restored. The early phase is a green, natural, cold coniferous breath of fresh-air that seems to cleanse the lungs.

Around the middle phase the lovely fresh-cut cedar comes to dominate. This is where nature meets industry. One can visualise freshly felled cedar still oozing with thick sap - its smell intensified by being forced through a rugged metal saw-mill, the hot sawdust scattering across the cold concrete floor.

The drydown continues to a smooth musk / laundry-detergent base. this is soft and subtle but ultimately smile inducing as the base-scent invokes the journey that preceded it. An overall satisfaction of rugged nature being rendered into something man-made.

Overall: cool and clinical. Finally a unique skin scent and amazing on clothes. invigorating dry-down of modern white woods. Definitely one for an architect working in modern design, wearing Alexander Wang and Balenciaga trainers. Understated cool. Recommended to all!

03rd April, 2014 (last edited: 09th April, 2014)
One of the most smile-inducing fragrances I've encountered.

I've held off reviewing Standard, because virtually all the adjectives that describe it easily sound like criticisms: synthetic, chemical, evocative of some sort of cleaning fluid. But from the moment I tentatively sprayed a tiny amount on my wrist to find out what the scent in the odd-looking, rectangular, matte-grey bottle might be like, I was hooked.

This contains notes of Finnish Labrador tea, twinflower, fennel, and ginger, among other things, but I only get something seamless, in which no note dominates as it evolves.

It opens with a note that reminds me of something burnt or overheated (plastic?), yet it makes me smile. A note that I can best describe as 'citrusy cleaning fluid' comes up behind it, and all I can think of is that it sums up what I can recall of my childhood perceptions of modernity as it applied to architecture and various objects (I grew up in Florence, so modern was slightly alien and mysterious). Next is the a note that I can best describe as coolly metallic, like cool metal in the mouth., while something fir-like, a note that would be harsh if it came to the front, lingers elusively behind this.

This is a scent that seems to stay very close the skin, which thrills me (I'm not a fan of sillage). This is an oddly intimate, intently synthetic, and somehow, elusively sexual fragrance.

Pros: Intriguing, seamless, intimately close to the skin.
Cons: I honestly cannot think of one.

02nd June, 2013
Very underrated scent

This was a blind buy when I was looking for a wood scent, primarily for winter wear. I was taken a little buy surprised by the powerful blast of lemon at the outset.  That transitions nicely to the cedar heart of the fragrance which I enjoyed for a couple of hours before it blended into the final phase of the dry down.

The final act is an animalic base from the herbs and musk but it still retains echoes of lemon and cedar.

It is one of those skin scents that keeps me sniffing at my wrist or arm or wherever all day long.  I would love to see what this scent would smell like on a woman.

Pros: Crisp and lively opening, slightly woody and very animalic dry down
Cons: I wish it had a little better projection

18th May, 2013

Add your review of Artek Standard

Shop for Artek Standard products online

Search Amazon for Artek Standard

Member images of Artek Standard

There are no member images of Artek Standard yet. Why not be the first?