Cologne du 68 (2006)

Year of Launch2006

PerfumerSophie Labbé
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

Reviews of Cologne du 68

Certainly a lot going on here. The many notes produce a rather rich and dense scent. Overall, I get a sweet and pretty floral, with spicy notes and some powdery vanilla in the dry-down. Certainly a good approximation of the heliotrope flower, among other things. Hints of musk and even perhaps leather. Not my style, but as I said it is a pretty scent and would be enjoyed by many.
29th June, 2014
Genre: Citrus

Cologne du 68 is far too dense and busy to be much of a “cologne” in the conventional sense. Yes, there’s plenty of citrus there, but there’s an awful lot else going on as well, and at no time does the scent present the brisk, refreshing, crystalline face of a proper eau de Cologne.

In its overall gestalt, its blend of citrus, anisic notes, resins, vanilla and woods, Cologne du 68 smells like a cousin Guerlain’s L’Instant pour Homme. Granted there are fewer green notes, and softer contours overall, but the parallels remain evident. I agree with odysseum that all this scent’s activity leaves it feeling more confused than stimulating. The component accords seem to be pulling in different directions rather than working in synergy, ultimately neutralizing one another. L’Instant pour Homme, at once sharper in profile and more coherent, leaves a better impression.

I can’t work up much love for the drydown, with its flat and cloying accord of vanilla and powdery amber. The sensation is as if all furious scurrying about during the first couple of hours left the whole cast to collapse, breathless and exhausted, just short of the finale. The scent is pleasant enough to wear, but I feel that Guerlain has done better in a similar style…

…and if you want an actual Guerlain eau de Cologne, you always have Eau de Fleurs de Cédrat, Eau de Cologne du Coq, Cologne Impériale, and Eau de Guerlain to choose from.
11th June, 2014
Allow me to recount my alarming experience on first encountering this compelling substance. The evening was passed pleasantly with a scented companion: dinner and sharing our latest fragrance finds and fancies. He had brought this, all three flavours of Rive Gauche PH, Givenchy III and lord knows what all else. Immoderate as I can be where olfactory pleasures are concerned, I was adorned with them all in short order.

I was aware of this as a moderate cologne with an essential oil blend twist, but it did not stand out particularly amongst or against the other samplings.

Returning home I slumbered the blissful sleep of innocence and perhaps a slight prandial over-indulgence... Until at one in the morning I woke suddenly, convinced a stranger had entered the bedroom. But it was an intensifying powdery note of the C68. Abbreviated thus, the name of this beast resembles that of the symbol for a radioactive isotope, which is not far wrong!

There are rumours of a new EdP strength release of this?

05th December, 2013
A musky Guerlinade cologne.

Take the Guerlinade that everyone loves and add a subtle anise musk to make it pop. I would suggest it as a light masculine S/S alternative for the Azzaro PH lovers out there. While some might find it heavy for a cologne, it's an uplifting fragrance which is versatile, office friendly and presents a unique little twist in various settings. Don't be overwhelmed by the amount of notes that are presented, it's quite a simple Guerlain composition. This simplicity may be its' slight flaw, as it seems to lack a defining character. Definitely one of the most overlooked offerings from the house of Guerlain.

Pros: Versatile
Cons: Undefined

22nd June, 2013
A typical Guerlain! Overly "perfumy", old fashioned or old school depending on how you feel about it. I felt the need to wash it off and I did alas after 3 hours I still smell it on me. Therefore, Cologne du 68 must posses some good quality ingredients, and it's a powerful edt with potency and longevity. If only one likes it. To me it quickly settles into a gourmand accord so its complexity, if any, is a small variation of the same tune. Sorry, but Guerlain has started to disappoint me with their unwillingness to experiment and surprise us a bit. Many of their creations are appealing as gifts for others but I never found any one to fell in love with. Even their Vetiver has no spell what so ever on me anymore.
21st February, 2013
When i see Guerlain this scent comes to my mind. This is a well constructed blend that's very unique. Unisex for sure. Smells much the "guerlinade" note already talked here. Sillage, lasting power and projection are medium. Definetely worth it and thumbs up!
20th December, 2012

Add your review of Cologne du 68

Shop for Cologne du 68 products online

Shop for Cologne du 68 at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Cologne du 68

Member images of Cologne du 68

There are no member images of Cologne du 68 yet. Why not be the first?