Spicebomb (2012)

50ml EdT
    90ml EdT
    50ml EdT

Reviews of Spicebomb

Showing 1 to 6 of 62 reviews.

gimpy's avatar
    gimpy

Wow, what a fragrance!

I don't know what's in this, and I don't think I wanna know. Is it an oriental? A spicy wood? I'll go with the paradoxical aromatic-oriental.

Spicebomb smells like a cacophony of spices dancing around. No, it's not the traditional spices you'd expect in a masculine. These are pleasing and never harsh. If Frederic Malle bottled this for $300, it'd be all the craze here.

While probably most similar to L'Occitane's Eau de Baux (I'd say 75%, but EdB is more oriental with less spice and more vanilla), the scent I get the best similarity to is the discontinued Gucci Envy. Not in smell, but in feel. Envy also had that jumble of spice (there, ginger which no one considers a spice) that was so well blended and pleasing as to defy its ingredients. Now Envy is discontinued and Spicebomb is born shortly thereafter. Coincidence or reincarnation?

05 March, 2014

foetidus

Spicebomb has a smooth, sophisticated opening. I’m not sure how to categorize the accord except that it is an exceptionally rippleless fruity-spicy texture… glossy to the point that I cannot pick out individual notes; I can only recognize the notes by identifying certain characteristics of the accord. The elemi plays a large part in both the glossiness and the lack of individually identifiable notes. There is an aromatic texture that comes from the pink pepper, and, while this aromatic texture lasts, I enjoy the accord. The total accord, if not actually sweet, gives an impression of being sweet – perhaps because of the spiciness. As the aromatic background wanes, I progressively lose my appreciation because what remains is the kind of accord that I know I will find annoying with prolonged exposure. I’ve had the exact same experience with Viktor & Rolf’s Antidote, which I purchased but no longer wear because I’ve grown annoyed with the continuation of the basic accord. So much for the opening… I’ve already determined that I will not be buying this one.

I was not looking to enjoy the middle accord of the chili and saffron because I am not fond of saffron, and I had little hope that I would enjoy its combination with chili. I should have known that I wouldn’t smell the chili – another aberration of mine. So the middle accord simply adds saffron to the remnants of the opening I already dislike. Contrary to my personal thoughts of saffron, I think that it actually improved the opening accord. Go figure…

The base is soft and sophisticated – a leather / tobacco / vetiver accord. Again, it comes across to me as a textured accord… I find it quite pleasant but nothing more. It retains a bit of the spice texture from the top; it contains and element of the afore-mentioned annoying accord; it doesn’t seem to project very much; and it has quite good longevity.

Basically, I see Spicebomb as similar to V & R’s Antidote in the sense that it is interesting, sophisticated (it seems to me to be quite nichy), and it had experienced a lot of attention when it came to the market. I hear very little about Antidote nowadays and I expect the same thing will happen with Spicebomb: It is well-made, sophisticated, successfully introduced, and creative, but I do not believe it has a presence or character that will make it more than a flash in the pan.

09 February, 2014

Bo Darville's avatar
    Bo Darville

Wow, this smells like a Prada Amber PH clone. I hate Prada Amber PH.

I did receive a couple of compliments while wearing this, but ultimately I find it overtly feminine, cloying, and utterly uninspired and derivative.

17 December, 2013

mlsweeney's avatar
    mlsweeney

Solid scent that doesn't live to its name

This scent has a fantastic spicy opening and settles down into a very light, yet powerful woody fragrance. The bottle design is very unique and works in a weird fashion. You have to "pull the pin" on the fragrance or else it doesn't spray. I thought the designers did a great job of combining the grenade shape with the pin-pulling gimmick. The projection and longevity is extremely good for me but it's the scent itself that doesn't feel like a "bomb." The spice comes very early but dissipates quickly. I also receive compliments very regularly compared to most of my collection.

Even though it's woody, it developed much more feminine than I anticipated. I sprayed a card in a designer store and got a completely different fragrance compared to how it develops on my skin. I don't mind it being a little feminine but I wasn't really looking for that type of development when I bought it. I bought it from a high-end clothes store so I'm not sure if it was their set price that made it so high or not but when it was rung up, I was surprised it was priced so high. I was also a little annoyed that it only came in 90 ml. It felt a little short-changed compared to 99% of other designers that come in 100 ml.

8.9/10

Pros: 1. Crazy design and concept that works well as a bottle collector 2. I get fantastic projection and longevity 3. Great compliment getter
    Cons: 1. More feminine than I expected 2. Expensive for a designer 3. Doesn't come in the full 100 ml"

02 October, 2013

martinijo's avatar
    martinijo
    England England

Cinammon bubblegum overkill.

Notes of mainly cinnamon, bubblegum and a hint of tobacco had me hurrying furtively through the streets after testing it hoping nobody would get too close to me. This feels jarring and invasive and I feel sorry for anyone trapped in a confined space with this scent (though it did seem to die away pretty quickly)

Pros: Will get you noticed
    Cons: Will get you noticed in a bad way"

03 August, 2013

Francolino's avatar
    Francolino

another view

another teen age party scent, you may like it or not, kid stuff indeed!

29 July, 2013