Royal Oud (2011)

About Royal Oud

Royal Oud is a shared / unisex perfume by Creed. The scent was launched in 2011

Royal Oud fragrance notes

Reviews of Royal Oud

My search for a more gentle masculine Frederick Malle French Lover relative took me to Creed's Spice and Wood and from that to this. Note there is a feminine version of this so this should be safely masculine. Never assume.
The Spice and Wood is indeed warmer and slightly spicier and more gentle than the superb FM FL which is dare I say it a bit too austere for cold days. However the Royal Oud goes down another path. Innate in the name really. Think Sheikhs and flowing multicoloured silk thobes and you've got it. Less subtle, more flowery or shall we say effeminate. Starts off fine and fresh but quickly becomes cloying, gets up your nose and stays that way.
Not for me but there will be plenty of people who swear by this thinking that they are making the elegant decision in lieu of all the dreadful cheaper blast to the senses designer fragrances . A masterpiece of product placement by Creed, but a bit too obvious in its intention and disappointingly lacking in adventure and innovation. No Arabian nights here.
That said there may be some more mature women which this suits down to the ground depending on skin chemistry.

Fragrance: 2.75/5
Projection: 3.5/5
Longevity: 4/5
22nd June, 2018 (last edited: 24th June, 2018)
Being an oud fanatic, of course I had to check out Creed's take on this amazing class of fragrance.

Starts out with a shiny blast of pepper with a tastefully subdued citrus cushion a la the lemon and bergamot, blending smoothly into the heart notes. At this point I start thinking of Hanae Mori's HiM and Gucci Pour Homme II, esp. with the presence of clean cedar.

Oud isn't clearly perceivable in this scent, oddly enough. Smooth sandalwood and a slight musk appears after a while throughout the remainder of the wear cycle. And as another reviewer pointed out, there is no presence of the signature Creed ambergris, which IMO would have been an odd note to have in this particular fragrance.

Overall, I like Royal Oud as I would the aforementioned cedar-heavy scents like HM HiM and GpH II; not as, say, clearly agarwood-centric like Commes des Garcons Wonderoud, Armani/Prive Oud Royal, Zegna Indonesian Oud, any of Tom Ford's EdP Oud formulations, YSL M7 Oud Absolu, etc.

24th April, 2018
Just a beautiful, classy, elegant fragrance from beginning to end.

The the major downside is its performance.

A fragrance this good should be enjoyed by everyone in its proximity, all day long. Sadly I get only an hour of projection and probably 3-4 hours overall.

I'm not the type carry around an atomizer and reapply throughout the day, but this is one of the few fragrances I'd make that expection for.
15th April, 2018
There's a lot going on here to my nose. I get citrus, spice, smokey woods, musk and something sweet all at the same time in the opening. Comes off as fresh and complex, almost like a smokey soap. Also feels very refined and rich, but not in a mature, old-school way. Young guys 25+ can pull this off just by dressing nicely.

I like the performance on Royal Oud because it projects but doesn't shout. What people do smell is something controlled and well-blended. I get about 6-7 hours of good projection and the a skin scent for the remainder of the day.
22nd March, 2018
Misnomer because there is no actual Oud in there. For this reason alone a thumbs down for me. I find Creed too cheap and synthetic to be classed as niche.

The only Creed I actually like, which is Aventus is very generic ...
04th March, 2018
Like this one a lot. Wish I had more poetry to my writing, but this is the best I can do.

Reminds me a fair bit of Terre, but Royal Oud's performance is much, much better. I admit to being a fan of Creed as this is my sixth example thereof (if I'm counting right). But to my nose, Creed has more than a little extra over the run of the mill designer frags.

Have to say that I have no idea what true Oud smells like, so I cannot comment thereon. But I do get major Cedar, which I love. Not really getting any of the signature Creed ambergris either, which is a nice change.

5 out of 5 stars from me in my extremely humble opinion.

By the way, the retail prices of Creed are truly astronomical. I purchased a 50ml decant from a reliable ebay seller at a very reasonable price. Not sure if any fragrance is worth the price they are charging. But clearly, there are some out there that would disagree.
15th December, 2017 (last edited: 27th December, 2017)

Add your review of Royal Oud

Shop for Royal Oud products online

Oops! Unable to talk to eBay. Let us know if this problem persists

Member images of Royal Oud