M/Mink (2010)

M/Mink information

Year of Launch2010

PerfumerJerome Epinette

About M/Mink

M/Mink is a shared / unisex perfume by Byredo. The scent was launched in 2010 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Jerome Epinette

M/Mink fragrance notes

Reviews of M/Mink

this one smells like a Tom Waits song, primal and passionate, twisted, a forgotten rusty junkyard in a ghost town along route 66, rusty metal, mould ink, the smell of distant rotten memories, you might like it but lots of people will say you smell strange, I love this scent for what it is..a bum trip!
05th August, 2015
I will have to do some research on Adoxal because it was one shockingly funky opening. But within 20 minutes or so, it mellowed considerably. The incense was not too "churchy". I found myself sniffing my wrist all rvening, which is always a good sign. I think this would be appropriate for a casual date or a nice autumn walk. Longevity is excellent on my skin. I will definitely consider purchasing a bottle.
01st August, 2015
Something with so much supposed stank shouldn't be this fleeting.
03rd April, 2015
M/mink gives you two choices.  Read the story and believe the myth, or smell the perfume.   I'd recommend smelling perfume.  It's wonderful.

The story goes that, in lieu of a traditional brief, the perfumer was asked to translate a block of solid ink into a perfume. I’m cynical enough to believe that this sort of premise is intended more for its ex post facto story value than for any actual artistic impetus. The block of ink might have been a motivating factor in the conceptualization of mink, but it is a fallacy to believe that the perfume continues to be 'about' ink. For the wearer, the ink bit is just a back-story.  After the fact, such stories actually make a perfume appear contrived or a producer pretentious, and to get hooked into this sort of narrative even before you’ve smelled the perfume is limiting for the wearer.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm a fan of Mink. I simply disagree with everything I've ever read about it starting with the PR from Byredo. I don't find it linear. I don't think it's an assault on the senses. I don't find it anything like Sécrétions Magnifiques. It does share a cool, object-like quality with Comme des Garçon 2 Woman. While it does have a matte sweetness to it that suggests an inky quality, this is just one of its many abstract attributes. Like Bvlgari Black by Annick Menardo, M/mink is a successful creation of a new, beautiful scent that neither imitates a botanical scent, nor attempts to to offer you a recognizeable fragrance.

18th June, 2014
Very 80's

Smells to me like a remake of Salvador Dali Pour Homme, widely considered one of the most evil fragrances existing. Don't know how seriously people take the 'evil' part, the thing is that there's hardly anything positive in this. Maybe some kind of warmth in the style of, say, Heritage or Zino, but the very concept of the smell rejects anything pleasing I guess. Now, I wouldn't call it neither animalic nor dirty, nor chemical. Urine smell would be at least something more familiar. Even Muscs Koublai Khan steps on more familiar territory than this. Same for CdG's most industrial creations. At least there is something you can remotely refer to. These are alien dark flowers in a cave with no entrance. I rarely ask myself why would someone wear a particular fragrance. In this case I imagine it would be solely for the challenge of doing so.

Pros: Shock factor
Cons: Nihilist smell"

26th October, 2013
I finally got a chance to smell this fragrance from a sampler and I didn't get offended by it, in fact, I almost "loved it at first sniff".

First of all, M/Mink should be titled "M/M Ink". M/M is a design firm in Paris (they designed the famous Bjork "Post" album cover) but I forget why Byredo includes it in the perfume title. Like Byredo's Pulp, a scent all about fruits, M/Mink is about the scent of ink.

I grew up in Hong Kong and practiced Chinese calligraphy in grade school. I am very familiar with the scent of Chinese ink, and when I smell M/Mink, all my memories come back. My friend, who is a Taiwanese Chinese woman, said the same thing about this scent and she liked it very much.

For those who have traveled in China or Hong Kong, you might have stumbled across some stores that sell sun-dried seafood such as squid, scallops, and abalones. The smell is salty, pungent, fishy, but sweet. That smell, is M/Mink.

I am considering buying it, but will wear it discreetly, in winter.
12th May, 2013

Add your review of M/Mink

Shop for M/Mink products online

Shop for M/Mink at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for M/Mink

Member images of M/Mink

There are no member images of M/Mink yet. Why not be the first?