Opus IV (2010)

Year of Launch2010

About Opus IV

Opus IV is a shared / unisex perfume by Amouage. The scent was launched in 2010

Reviews of Opus IV

Spicey and musky. Too much going on with Opus IV. For those of you who like animalistic frgrances, this is for you. Smells a lot like body sweat.
01st April, 2015
I used to think that VI was the best from this collection until I bought a bottle and then promptly started to hate it (go figure), but I always recall liking IV as well. Well, here I am several years later sampling IV again and it’s solid enough, but I’m just reminded that the Opus line, generally speaking, kind of blows.

This one’s an herbal, cumin-centered incense that’s loaded with my arch-enemy, cardamom. (When I rule the world, cardamom will be banned as, with a few exceptions, I consider it to be one of the main destroyers of otherwise fine perfumes.) But my preferences aside, IV is an herbal resin affair with a stinky cumin quality. It marries Epic Man and Fate Man, to a degree, but whereas neither of those are particularly Eastern, Opus IV drags its cultural baggage along behind it; it's authentically exotic in that it doesn’t feel like it’s faking it in any way. Underneath the truckload of spices, there’s a resin combo that’s cut with buttery flowers and a slight vegetal / sap effect. It’s a relatively dry fragrance, but there’s just a touch of sweetness peeking through from some undisclosed floral. It brings to mind a Georgia O’Keefe landscape — perhaps “Rust Red Hills” (Google it) — although the color impression I get is more blue and orange than burnt sienna. Once the spices die off, it feels more comfortable to me, and even though it’s not quite to my taste, I do still think it’s one of the better offerings from the Opus line (which, as previously mentioned, blows). If you’re into exotic, eastern scents and can handle a heavy dose of culinary herbs and sweaty cumin, then you should probably try and get this one up your nose.
19th March, 2015
Kaern Show all reviews
Unless you have a nose similar to a spectroscope, I would forget about most of the notes listed as this is all about cardamom and incense all held together by a rather dry musk. This accord combines to give off lovely wafts of ginger and pepper -- it's a bit of a spicebomb, but smells rich and distinctive. Definitely a cool weather scent imo. A bit of a nose-tickler, but very nice.

Apparently half of the profits from this fragrance are used to promote HIV/AIDS awareness in Oman.
07th October, 2014
A polarizing fragrance. Can´t say much more about it than what has already been said (accused) below... only to add my extreme favor of something so nose-tickling and aromatic.

For me this is more about VIBE than individual notes. This is THE holiday scent... and like the holiday sweater... some will want to stay far, far away from this and find it audacious in its color scheme. I find the incense here to be foody, herbal, and incessantly festive. The trick here is the citrus blend. COOL lemon with HOT cardamon and GREEN herbs. There is a bit of a metallic edge - something I always get in Ambre Sultan (it must be an herbal thing) - that annoys me somewhat... but it also keeps this very crisp without being too dry (like, for example, Noir Epices). Thick and loud, but certainly not sweet (fruit cake) or creamy/nutty (Jubilation incense). This dryer quality makes it especially wonderful in the cold, with a good projection and sillage in lower temperatures and a longevity that doesn't disappoint.

Admittedly, I don´t wear this much. It is too distinctive and immediately recognizable - if not as a human perfume - to be something that breaks out of its box (screaming) too often. Then again, I think that this is part of the charm of the whole Opus line... special moments and moods to keep shelved away for the perfect occasion.
09th May, 2014
A very spicy fragrance that you should really like spices to like it.
At the opening you you can smell incense with heavy spices and a little bit of fruits.
With those citruses at the top you may think you will get a fresh citrusy opening but actually it's a little sweet and almost juicy but surrounded with herbal incense and lot's of spices.
In the dry down things changed a little bit and into more heavy spicy way.
All thing that I can smell is heavy cooking spices and to be honest it's not something good!
The scent gets just a little sweet in the base but still that's cooking spices that dominate.
Projection is really good and longevity is 10+ hours.
Not my cup of tea.
23rd December, 2013
Cold spice. Dry spice. Old spice.

Like adjacent keys on a piano, OPUS IV tinkles along from hesperidic notes to a balmy slightly floral-incense phase and gradually warms up to a spicy-musky if ever so slightly animalic base. It's attractive but far from conventional. I do not even know if I enjoyed it but it certainly intrigued me enough to track its development. Opus IV reminds me somewhat of a tamer Musk to Musk, with spice as a central unifying theme. Not Amouage's best work, I'm afraid.

Pros: Nice spicy masculine scent
Cons: There are much better Amouages out there."

14th September, 2013

Add your review of Opus IV

Shop for Opus IV products online

Shop for Opus IV at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Opus IV

Member images of Opus IV

There are no member images of Opus IV yet. Why not be the first?