Opus IV (2010)

Opus IV is a unisex fragrance by Amouage. The scent was launched in 2010

Shop for Opus IV products online

$359.65*
    100ml EdP
    (*converted from GBP 215.00)

Reviews of Opus IV

Showing 1 to 6 of 12 reviews.

FumeHood's avatar

Brazil Brazil

A polarizing fragrance. Can´t say much more about it than what has already been said (accused) below... only to add my extreme favor of something so nose-tickling and aromatic.

For me this is more about VIBE than individual notes. This is THE holiday scent... and like the holiday sweater... some will want to stay far, far away from this and find it audacious in its color scheme. I find the incense here to be foody, herbal, and incessantly festive. The trick here is the citrus blend. COOL lemon with HOT cardamon and GREEN herbs. There is a bit of a metallic edge - something I always get in Ambre Sultan (it must be an herbal thing) - that annoys me somewhat... but it also keeps this very crisp without being too dry (like, for example, Noir Epices). Thick and loud, but certainly not sweet (fruit cake) or creamy/nutty (Jubilation incense). This dryer quality makes it especially wonderful in the cold, with a good projection and sillage in lower temperatures and a longevity that doesn't disappoint.

Admittedly, I don´t wear this much. It is too distinctive and immediately recognizable - if not as a human perfume - to be something that breaks out of its box (screaming) too often. Then again, I think that this is part of the charm of the whole Opus line... special moments and moods to keep shelved away for the perfect occasion.

09 May, 2014

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

A very spicy fragrance that you should really like spices to like it.
    At the opening you you can smell incense with heavy spices and a little bit of fruits.
    With those citruses at the top you may think you will get a fresh citrusy opening but actually it's a little sweet and almost juicy but surrounded with herbal incense and lot's of spices.
    In the dry down things changed a little bit and into more heavy spicy way.
    All thing that I can smell is heavy cooking spices and to be honest it's not something good!
    The scent gets just a little sweet in the base but still that's cooking spices that dominate.
    Projection is really good and longevity is 10+ hours.
    Not my cup of tea.

23 December, 2013

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Cold spice. Dry spice. Old spice.

Like adjacent keys on a piano, OPUS IV tinkles along from hesperidic notes to a balmy slightly floral-incense phase and gradually warms up to a spicy-musky if ever so slightly animalic base. It's attractive but far from conventional. I do not even know if I enjoyed it but it certainly intrigued me enough to track its development. Opus IV reminds me somewhat of a tamer Musk to Musk, with spice as a central unifying theme. Not Amouage's best work, I'm afraid.

Pros: Nice spicy masculine scent
    Cons: There are much better Amouages out there."

14 September, 2013

tymanski's avatar

yucky yuckyuck

this is easily the worst amouage i've tried & i've tried most. a cloying clove cluster that really sends a feeling of nausea through the system. i persevered through the interminable dyrdown (it IS an amouage & that means a half-life of days, for better or worse).  IV is utterly disagreeable for me, and i truly don't get the attraction unless you seriously dig clove & cumin, and the rest of the spice rack. in fact the only opus i like at all is VI, and i REALLY like that one.

23 May, 2013

The_Cologneist's avatar

Opens up nicely, as the citrus and coriander oil is quite noticeable. I also get a lavender note. As the middle notes emerge, it starts to smell like bubble gum flavored bubble bath.. which may or may not exist, but it's just what I perceive. Or perhaps some sort of champagne. It actually resembles Champaca Absolute, but with some spice. The cumin spice is very noticeable in the mid, and although it doesn't really match, it keeps things interesting, from a pretty boring floral mid. The base is very incense based, even the mid is quite a bit. I don't really pick up on the animalic notes or the musk, which is good for me, since I don't get along with those notes. Longevity is 10+ hours, projection is big in the opening, but tones down quickly. I really enjoy the opening, and their take on citrus, but after that.. I don't much care.

Overall, I am not that impressed, but I am intrigued. This is the first Amouage fragrance I have tried. The quality is definitley there, which intrigues me. After looking at some of their note breakdowns, on other fragrances; and now smelling an Amouage fragrance first hand, I am definitley interested. As an introduction to their house, with Opus IV, one of their less popular ones, I can see that the notes are there (some houses list notes that you just don't smell if ya know what I mean), which is something I like; and of course, the quality is here too.

31st March, 2013

mlsweeney's avatar

Opens with a blast of lemon and incense for me. This is definitely one of the more complex fragrances I've sampled. I get cardamom as the fragrance starts to develop. The lemon never really goes away but it does become faint as the scent progresses. The note that stays very prominent throughout the life of the scent would be the incense. Most of my family felt that it gave a very woody vibe. I wouldn't say it is a compliment getter but I can definitely tell it is liked by the overall crowd I've been around with this fragrance. Is it worth full retail price? Even with the complexity I would still say definitely not but if I get a good deal on this I will pick it up. Based on the quality of this fragrance, I will be looking to sample more Amouage.

9.0/10

(* converted from AUD 283.86) Ebay United States
    Amouage Library Opus IV Eau De Parfum Spray 100ml
    • Time Left: 1 day
    (* converted from AUD 271.95) Ebay United States
    (Shipping from Hong Kong)
    Amouage Opus IV Library Collection EDP Vial Sample 2ml 0.05oz New With Card