L'Humaniste (2009)

HouseFrapin
PerfumerSidonie Lancesseur
SupplierRobertet

About L'Humaniste

L'Humaniste is a shared / unisex perfume by Frapin. The scent was launched in 2009 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Sidonie Lancesseur

L'Humaniste fragrance notes

Reviews of L'Humaniste

Smells fine- certainly nothing unique in my opinion. The biggest issue is the lack of projection- I oversprayed and this still became a skin scent in less than 90 minutes. In 3 hours time, it was completely gone. I expected much more when I shelled out $200 for this.
01st May, 2017
Of the Frapin house, I've only tried Speakeasy previously so the very fresh, aromatic L'Humaniste is really a breath of fresh air. It's a mix of citrus and spice, mainly--a cocktail of bergamot, lemon, pepper, and cardamom. I don't get much evolution into a drydown. Sure, the gin/juniper aspect is there, but very slightly. Overall, L'Humaniste is very much dominated by the opening notes.

Even at its FragranceNet-discounted price of $115 for 100ml, L'Humaniste is unusually weak for an EDP-concentrated niche-priced fragrance. If the fragrance were, say, half that price, I'd probably buy it without question since it's a very pleasant warm-weather composition that seems to have a variety of uses in the warm weather, wherein performance should not be as much of an issue.

I like it a lot but the price is difficult to justify.

7 out of 10
09th November, 2016
Starts off with a familiar fresh gin accord that morphs in to a stale white pepper (I get white, not black, as listed in the notes.) The lemon and the peony are at odds with each other and the white pepper just adds a sort of back of the kitchen cupboard odour, old dusty spice rack aura. There’s nothing note worthy about L'Humaniste; It’s pale, placid and possibly, at most, pleasant.

Longevity was poor for an EDP, even tragic. After a little time, you just end up smelling like a used bathroom wipe (but far less scented) with a touch of Johnson’s baby powder.

I had been quite looking forward to trying this one but ultimately my enthusiasm was in vain. To me, this is dreck.
08th November, 2016
Being number 1 in a series of 16 reviews on critically acclaimed and noteworthy scents.

l'Humaniste opens with some very brief citrus and juniper. I get a whiff of pepper - perhaps pink rather than black. For me, this does not approach a gin or mojito accord, as the peony note takes over and turns the whole into a floral. It is good at that point, and for me more redolent of Insense or, in spirit, Richard James. I feel this could be a very good scent on a woman in summer; despite that, it did not feel out of place on my skin. The transitions were seamless. Such a shame, then, that it dies a death at the six- or seven-hour mark without any of the more robust ingredients (aka the base notes, I suppose) making an appearance worth the name. So many times reviewers complain about the longevity of scents, and I laugh to myself, knowing that my skin is of the type to give the frailest of fragrances a chance at a long and happy life. Not on this occasion.

I had high hopes for l'Humaniste. It sounded up my street. I cannot countenance, though, paying north of a hundred British pounds for 50ml of something with that performance. The review here is based on my experience, and I understand how many could get on with l'Humaniste, or even love it. What would be my fix (as someone with zero experience of constructing perfumes)? - for a more masculine version, drop the peony, ramp up the oakmoss, possibly add some patchouli. Make the base work harder, keep the wonderful transitions.

Comparisons with Dior Allure Edition Blanche, made frequently in video reviews, seem reasonable given my fleeting familiarity with that fragrance. The 'lemon pie' effect is brought about by the marriage of the vestigial citrus and florals (still excellent to the end) with vanilla, although by the time it gets round to this it's time to clock off.

I recommend a try to anyone, but I can't help feeling a little disappointed. I wanted to like l'Humaniste so much.

Update: just tried Jicky, and thought that had a similar effect to DAEB but higher in quality that either that or l'Humaniste.
29th August, 2016 (last edited: 01st September, 2016)
A sweeter, fresher version of Cartier Declaration, which I don't care for the Cartier, but this isn't bad. Not a must have for me but it's nice and enjoyable.
06th May, 2016
At a company meeting last summer where tension was high, opinions were divided and tempers flared, one of my colleagues came to me after the ordeal and said “you know, that meeting did not go well at all, but at least you smelled good!” I rarely received compliments on the fragrances I wore to work, and certainly did not expect one at such an awkward situation. Needless to say, it made my day. And there I was a few days after the disaster; instead of mapping out solutions to corporate problems I was deciphering the magic tricks of Frapin L’Humaniste.
To me, it wasn’t just a simple compliment. It conveyed a message to me that meant L’Humaniste had the potential powers to save a catastrophe of epic proportions. And it was this very notion that biased my profound affection towards this potion, wishing that it could save me from chaos once again.
It’s easy to dismiss L’Humaniste because it sounds like your typical fresh and citrus kind of fragrance which can often be interpreted as boring. But I urge you not to judge the book by its cover in this case as you may discover pleasant surprises. The opening of lemon and bergamot are intertwined with spicy notes of cardamom, pink pepper and black pepper. The combination is subtly vibrant and alarming like bird whistles outside your window on a beautiful Sunday morning, waking you up unexpectedly. Thankfully, the peppery nuances do not go away entirely, and start to mingle with a dominant presence of juniper. Juniper has a pine-like quality that is green and sharp, which could become a little harsh if not used sparingly, especially combining it with peppers. But, no such atrocity here as the juniper is masterfully balanced with something floral that is lurking underneath the vibrancy; the soft and delicate peony. It adds an undeniably tender and mellow character to a masculine concoction that could easily be appreciated by a woman. However, the biggest surprise of L’Humaniste (drum roll please….....) is gin. This explains why I’m getting hints of booziness in the air making the entire experience feel as if I’m enjoying a Mojito. In fact, I think this fragrance captures the very essence of a Mojito flawlessly. Maybe this shouldn’t be as much of a surprise because Frapin makes fine cognac after all, and a bottle of L’Humaniste has their fine craftsmanship and quality written all over it.
No matter where you are in your fragrance quest, let L’Humaniste stop you in your tracks and indulge yourself in this exquisite blend of a cocktail without losing your driver’s license along the way.

22nd April, 2016