Cologne Noir (2009)

HouseVan Cleef & Arpels
PerfumerMark Buxton
Parent CompanyInter Parfums

About Cologne Noir

One of Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire.

Cologne Noir fragrance notes

Reviews of Cologne Noir

Opens up fresh with added notes of pepper, citrus, cedar; the type of mass pleasing boring fragrances, the fresh clean synthetic stuff that I'm sick of smelling these days. The dry down is the well know faux woody scent.
16th July, 2018
Double Indemnity by Billy Wilder and Raymond Chandler
27th June, 2018
Spicy, Fresh & Peppery...

I like this one. I have smelt this kind of smell before though. The use of ginger and black pepper together is not new, and has been done before. I think it is a nice mix, although in my experience the house of Comme des Garçons does black pepper the best. I can't say the longevity is the greatest, although it lasts a few hours initially, but dries down fast. It seems like a fragrance that is light in some aspects, so I think it's limited in where it can be worn and when. I think this would be great in Spring in particular and during the change of the seasons. I get the cardamom and bergamot and orange, these all add a freshness when combined with the pepper and ginger. For me, I don't find this too different from what exists out there and I think that because of that I would only recommend it if you love it after trying it first. Still this house (and the Collection Extraordinaire line) are very good but it's just worth trying out on skin first.
04th May, 2018
rbaker Show all reviews
Whilst the ginger-pepper-bergamot-orange opening is quite pleasant, the drydown becomes a non-descript woodsy mélange on my skin that shows little interesting development. The performance is nothing special either, with moderate sillage, acceptable projection and four hours of longevity.

A nice start, the rest mediocre. 2.5/5
18th January, 2015
Cologne Noire opens with a classic fresh accord of pepper, Iso E, citrus/bergamot, sandalwood, perhaps vetiver, and mossy-balsamic notes. As minutes pass the cedar note emerges more clearly, together with a slight aldehydated soapy accord. Pretty much it, a classic, clean, sharp, refined, office-safe cologne, quite dull and frankly a bit cheap and uninspired. Dozen of less expensive (is this expensive?) scents come to mind. Another grain of dust in the eternal purgatory of decent crowdpleasers.

5,5-6/10
29th May, 2014
I've already written this in a different review, but I just can't believe that the people behind the VC&A "Collection Extraordinaire" approved not just two similar lily perfumes, but also two peppery incense scents.

Cologne Noir is one of the peppery incense perfumes, alongside Bois d'Iris (which was mostly pepper and frankincense with iris for depth and a horrid cheap cotton candy drydown). Cologne Noir is the better of the two, but that's not really saying much. It's mostly black pepper, with a pinch of bergamot and some herbs underneath (I mostly smell oregano, so it reminds me of cooking), supported by frankincense and some thin cedar. While I generally enjoys scents like this, they've become a dime a dozen in the niche landscape and Cologne Noir isn't one of the best. It's quite weak, or maybe "thin" - it lasts all day but wears close and requires a heavy hand to really come to life, but even then it's mostly just a blast of pepper. Watered down Bang? Maybe...
09th April, 2013

• Time Left: 17 days
  • Vendor: Ebay United States
  • Shipping from: United States

Member images of Cologne Noir

There are no member images of Cologne Noir yet. Why not be the first?