C for Men (2010)

Average Rating: 4

Based on 20 ratings

C for Men Fragrance Notes

C for Men information

C for Men is a men's fragrance by Clive Christian. The scent was launched in 2010

Shop for C for Men products online

$344.11*
    50ml Perfume
    (*converted from GBP 220.00)

Reviews of C for Men

Showing 1 to 6 of 10 reviews.

jchebert1979's avatar

This is the first non-department store scent that I have ever tried. After running out of all of my cologne, I decided to google "high-end cologne". Wow, I had no clue what I was in for. I have always loved colognes and the emotions they evoke but this went from a novelty to a hobby, to a lifestyle in 8 short months. That day I ordered about 10 different samples, many of which came from an article names "The most expensive perfumes in the world". Of course I did not order just from the pretentious title; I did read quite a few reviews first.

My nose is new to the world of complex scents. After 8 months, I am starting to be able to pick out a couple notes here and there. So basically, it comes down to either I like it, or I don't. While reading reviews for that first sample purchase, I did read quite a few regarding its similarity to Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather (henceforth TL). Some said it was similar while others said it was a carbon copy. This piqued my interest so I ordered both. I do think they are very similar; however, to me the dry down of Clive Christian C (henceforth CCC) is quite a bit different that TL, and it's a much better scent, in my opinion.

Neither sample had a spray top and for some reason I can never get an accurate judgement on longevity unless the scent is sprayed. I could not smell the TL after approx. 3 hours, although I did not have another person to ask if THEY could smell it. I could however, smell the CCC a full 27 hours after its application. This was after a full shower and 2 or 3 hand washes. I was blown away. Unfortunately I was also spoiled in that I assumed ALL perfumes in that price range would last the way CCC did. I was quite disappointed when I realized this was and is not the case.

I now ask myself 2 questions before a perfume purchase. 1) If this is the only scent that I could wear for the next 2 years, would I wear it. 2) Can OTHER PEOPLE smell it either if they gave me a hug, or at a minimum of 1" from my wrist after a reasonable amount of time (the higher the price, the longer I expect others to be able to smell it)? CCC fit the bill for both questions. I usually wear it twice a week and use 2 full sprays (half spray on each wrist and half spray behind each ear) and if I had to "guesstimate", I think this bottle will last at least 2 years for me. Compare that to my Aberc. and Fitch 8 for women which was $80 for the same size but only lasts 3 to 4 months, and I'd say the CCC is a better value for the money. On a side note, upon first sniff, I though CCC smelled awful. Kind of like a cigar ashtray. For some reason though, I could not stop smelling my wrist. I don't know if that means it grew on me, or perhaps I liked it from the beginning afterall.

My final thoughts. I found TL to be linear while CCC was much more complex. I have only tried three or four scents that have leather as a major note, but most of them have a scent that I can neither identify nor explain that just smells fake to me. All but CCC. I still don't know if I can smell the oud, but again, my nose is still new at this. Some have stated that both TL and CCC smell like cocaine. In my college years of experimentation, I tried it 3 times. In no way do either scents smell like cocaine to me. I found an excellent deal on eBay from a seller that had 100% positive feedback and whom I bought perfumes from in the past. I paid $225 for a bottle without the display box. When it is time for another, I do hope I can find it for the same price; however, I will pay full price for it if I have to.

Scent: 9/10 (I am still looking for a perfume that leaves me speechless, although this is close.)
    Longevity: 10/10 (I have neither sampled nor worn a perfume that lasts longer.)
    Sillage: 9/10 (I get compliments from people I have stood very close to even when the smell is faint for me.)
    Value: 9/10 (I may get quite a few disagreements with this one, but I think I could wear this perfume every day and the bottle still last at least a year, or perhaps more.)

30th September, 2014

Sly2scents's avatar

To date this has got to be the most confusing scent I've sniffed yet. On one hand, I get the complexity that the perfumer was trying create but on the on the other hand, I get this wet pavement smell mixed with burnt dirty paper bags. Someone told me it smelled like Bug Spray.

15th May, 2014

badarun's avatar

Dry down --- Couldn't make much of a difference between Tuscan Leather & C - except the price - everything else - longevity / notes etc to me are highly similar to Tuscan Leather, lucky me, I bought Tuscan before I tested C, if not, I might have bought C on first sniff...

11th March, 2013

1974mike's avatar

This is the most disgusting scent I have ever smelled ! Imo , smells like ashy burnt butter , with raspberry . To me this never got any better in the dry down either . "C" for women is very nice tho . This was the very first Clive I ever smelled & left a very bad impression , thankfully this is different from all the rest of thier scents ! I tried several times , & felt the same everytime ! Definitely recomend trying before you buy !!

06th March, 2013 (Last Edited: 21st March, 2013)

KL863's avatar

This was the 1st out of Clive's line that I smelled when I was waiting for a friend wandering through NM. This scent stands out from all others.* (*yes, I know now that Tom Ford had this before Clive did, at the time it was all rainbows and unicorns)

It is a classy fragrance and would be best suited for such activities. With the dark spice and smokiness I'd recommend this as a night time scent. Warm or cool weather would suit it just fine as it's got something for any climate. The leather and smoke notes go great with cooler weather. The raspberry, mandarin and clove go well when the heat is on.

A love at 1st spray type of experience for me. And later, as I found out Tom Ford has Tuscan Leather. It's very close initially. But the dry down and body mixing begin to take their own different roads when you compare the two. If I had to choose between them, I'd go for "C". It just seems to have a bit more going on with it.

I reccomend you try it. Spray it on a card, spray it on your arm. Let it mellow out. It's just fantastic.

04th September, 2012

drseid's avatar

C for Men opens on skin with a transient hint of rose and jasmine before a rubbery petrol-like oud and leather base note tandem rises up and dominates the scent from the early heart there-on-out with the jasmine as background support. The scent is extremely linear and keeps the rubbery leather accord through the end. Projection is average, while longevity is excellent.

C for Men is a very nice leathery oud scent to be sure, but despite what appears to be a laundry list of ingredients, I confess I pretty much get jasmine, leather and oud with just the faintest rose, nothing more, nothing less. The scent is much more polite than you would think given its co-stars and the oud is only ever so slightly sweet from possibly the inclusion of tonka bean and amber in the composition. That said, there really isn't a lot of complexity here and at the absolutely scandalous price C for Men is being hawked I expected more than what it delivered. C for Men gets a very good 3.5 stars out of 5 for the scent, but if you are looking for a relatively pleasant leather scent you can find any number of strong candidates available for a quarter of the price of C for Men. Skip this puppy unless money is burning a hole in your pocket.

09th August, 2012

• Time Left: 7 days
    Clive Christian C men 50 ML / 1.6 FL OZ perfume fragance authentic tester
    • Time Left: 25 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    Clive Christian ~ 'C' WOMEN ~ 1.7 Perfume Spray 1.6 oz 50 ml NEW in SEALED Box!!
    • Time Left: 5 days
    CLIVE CHRISTIAN C MEN EAU DE PARFUM 4ML PRIVATE COLLECTION TRULY AMAZING SMELL
    • Listing Type: eBay Store
    • Time Left: 22 days
    CLIVE CHRISTIAN C MEN EAU DE PARFUM 4ML SPRAY PRIVATE COLLECTION. AMAZING SMELL
    • Listing Type: eBay Store
    • Time Left: 22 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    Clive Christian C men *2ML* Spray Sample.
    • Time Left: 27 days