Traversée du Bosphore (2010)
by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Traversée du Bosphore information

Year of Launch2010

HouseL'Artisan Parfumeur
PerfumerBertrand Duchaufour
Parent CompanyPuig Beauty & Fashion Group
Parent Company at launchFox Paine & Company > Cradle Holdings

About Traversée du Bosphore

Traversée du Bosphore is a shared / unisex perfume by L'Artisan Parfumeur. The scent was launched in 2010 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Bertrand Duchaufour

Traversée du Bosphore fragrance notes

Reviews of Traversée du Bosphore

Duchafour has created a unique gourmand with a new and unusual combination of notes in Traversee du Bosphore. Its opening is familiar; a leathery lipstick infused iris reminiscent of Dior Homme with a red, tangy fruitiness gradually creeping toward the forefront. By the half hour mark the iris has taken a back seat, overcome by the tart fruitiness which has grown in both intensity and sweetness. Now a jammy red rose enters the picture as well, coated in a rich, sugary syrup, and we are presented with Bertrand's interpretation of Turkish delight, a dessert I'm all the more eager to try now that I've smelled this. This is the heart of the fragrance, a soft, pale suede note graces the background just noticeable, while on top of it a distinct candy-like sweetness, slightly tart like a red apple, but sugary and delectable, has taken hold blending in with and accenting a rich, honey-rose syrup drizzled over chunky nougat. It is sweet, it is tart, it is very much red, and it is unlike anything I've smelled before in the world of perfumery. The heart persists for some time, and just when you're beginning to feel stuffed, as if you can't take anymore of the rich, treacly, candied-rose, it all starts to settle down and warm elements of tobacco and a nutty pistachio bring a sobering, neutralizing reassurance to the base, grounding Traversee in a warm, savory finish. What an olfactory ride! Du Bosphore may not be loved by everyone, but if you connect with it you will indeed love it. It is completely unique, and the creative, deft hand of Bertrand Duchafour is on prime display in this complex gourmand extravaganza. I've been lucky this year to discover both this and Noir Exquis (another Duchafour creation). Both are among my best discoveries of the year, but more importantly, both are undoubtedly the best gourmand fragrances I've sniffed in at least three years (I haven't been this impressed with a gourmand since Pierre Guillaume released Aomassai). However, while I can wholeheartedly recommend blind buying Noir Exquis, I have to recommend sampling Traversee du Boshpore. It is so unlike anything around I have no reference point to orient potential buyers. In that case, it's probably best to sample this in the unfortunate case that you find Turkish Delight just doesn't sit right with you. Gladly, I don't have this issue, so I'll be wearing this quite a bit in the future with great pleasure. T

The feel of Traversee du Bosphore is casual, though it could probably be dressed up a little too. It leans more toward night than day in my opinion, but seems well-suited for almost any season. I imagine the sweetness could become too much in really hot, humid weather, but other than that I don't see many seasonal limits for this one. Projection on my skin is very good and longevity is impressive. Please note that there seem to be altering, inconsistent accounts of its performance, though I find for a L'Artisan this is extremely well-performing and I've have had no issues with it. Thumbs up all the way. It's not every day something like this comes along and for that reason Traversee du Bosphore is a truly special scent. 8 out of 10.
21st July, 2017
This starts with such a gorgeous, floral and "sweetish" vanilla. Beautiful. Then it goes green. Then it goes blue. And you get more vanilla. First sniff love. I want it.
01st July, 2017
Aquatic leather and fruity sugar.
Istanbul as a focal point where the two continents merge, where you find everything from a corner of this planet is a city you only discover thotougly if you live in. It's a very unique city which I haven't seen any sisterhood in spirit yet.

The fragrance opens with sweet balmy smell like spice, tobacco and sea water and sugary notes. Very identical and showy beginning. Leather which is the core of the perfume is implemented perfectly within embracing sugary notes and delightful smoky honey. A distinct gourmand, a smooth leather, a wearable sugary, a warm aquatic and as four seasonal spicy fragrance. It's a complex and arrangement of notes which are separately distinguishable.

Duchaufour tried to capture the spirit of Istanbul in Traversée du Bosphore, but as a foreigner, like himself, I feel lack of characteristics in the scent and it emerges from ephemeral and probably etudes of smells of Istanbul. This city is one of the most unique places which is collection of different cultural layers overlapped in an integrity. Traversée du Bosphore is like different smells from Istanbul not the smell of Istanbul. You have Turkish delight, Turkish coffee, elma şekeri (apple candy), honey to replicate hookah, saffroned leather to replicate the grand bazaar.
★★★
27th May, 2016
Meriem Show all reviews
Traversée du Bosphore is a clever perfume: a scent that's rather complex that smells deceptively simple. It begins with juicy fruit and warm suede, with a dash of iris and a delicate pale-greenish note that must be the promised tulip. Soon, however, it smells like candy. Sugary, syrupy, straightforward but not overwhelming...but still, candy. Those delicate, complex notes are still there if one holds one's wrist up and snuffles like a hound, but somehow the whole mix has become a bowlful of pomegranate-infused lokum. Not just something that evokes lokum, but something that smells virtually identical to the way a bite of lokum tastes, all fruit, flowers, jelly-gum texture, and powdered sugar. I'm particularly fond of lokum, and I've tried a number of scents that are meant to have a note or interpretation of Turkish Delight -- and they do, and they've all been lovely so far -- but this is the sole "Turkish Delight note" perfume I've tried that actually smells like lokum, not an interpretation of its elements. I find myself craving this scent when I'm not wearing it. It's undoubtedly not everyone's cup of tea, but it's quietly strange, pretty, and comforting to me, which are apt descriptors of every l'Artisan scent I've tried.
22nd April, 2016
The first time I tried Traversee du Bosphore, I almost laughed out loud at how bad it was. There is a lurid, cherry-flavored Jolly Rancher note up top pitched halfway between children's cough syrup and the clear pink goo you find at the bottom of a supermarket pie. I felt cheated. I had been promised a mystical Duchaufour-ian trawl through the back streets of Istanbul and what I got was cheap sweeties that even sugar-crazed five year olds might reject if they came spewing out of a piñata.

The notes say apple and pomegranate, two ingredients heavily used in Turkish and Balkan cuisine. But I am used to my mother-in-law’s wild pomegranate syrup, which is tart and sweet and tannic all at once, and I couldn’t see the connection to the more single-cell syrup I was smelling.

The dry down, on the other hand, was more interesting to me – a fat, pink suede cushion thickly dusted with icing sugar and trembling under the weight of rose petals. But every time I tried it, I had to clench my teeth through the artificial syrup opening. The main problem was that the opening notes felt cheap to me, and jarred against the uber expensive pink suede cube waiting for me in the dry down.

Then it struck me – what am I talking about? Lokum is cheap. It’s cheap to make, cheap to consume, and it tastes a bit cheap too. That’s practically the whole point of lokum. I used to live in the Balkans, and at meetings in Bosnia, Serbia, or Montenegro, someone would invariably pull out a tin of hilariously cheap lokum and you’d find yourself mindlessly chomping through two or three cubes of vaguely rose-flavored gelatin with the coffee – always more of a texture than a taste – careless of the post-lokum sugar headache that loomed over your medulla lungata like a nuclear cloud. Good stuff! Good times.

Knowing that lokum costs pennies is part of its hokey charm, I guess. It’s like coffee, good bread, and chocolate - small things that cost very little and yet provide so much pleasure to our daily lives. And this (essential) cheapness is key to appreciating Traversee du Bosphore. Enough with the mythologizing of Eastern sweetmeats, this perfume seems to be saying – lokum is made from boiled up horses’ hooves, and let’s not all pretend that it’s something fancier than it is.

I no longer live in the Balkans, so when I feel a bit nostalgic for the cheap rosewater taste of the local lokum, Traversee du Bosphore will have to stand in. Now that I have this scent pegged – a cheap and cheerful lokum suede – I can enjoy it without worrying about the cheap notes, which are, after all, exactly as they should be.
04th December, 2015
A fruity / floral accord opens Traversée du Bosphore, with apple and pomegranate for fruit, and tulip, iris, and rose for florals… the tulip and pomegranate take prominence which makes for an interesting and inventive accord. The accord IS synthetic, but I rather enjoy its synthetic but untypical nature. The next accord moves in with a dominant leather / saffron – I agree that the leather is more suede than leather. Even with my dislike of leather and saffron notes, I don’t dislike this middle accord – but I’d guess that I am not capturing the complete drama of the accord. The base goes sweet primarily with vanilla and it still retains the “leather” aura in a very pleasant and long-lasting manner.

Some other reviewers experience Traversée du Bosphore as a gourmand – to me it usually comes across as a sweet fruity suede. In my first testing of it, the iris came across rather strongly but with further tests the iris strength diminished and the leather / fruit took precedence.

This is a well made fragrance that attempts some fairly complex and dramatic things while still retaining a L’Artisan identity - which is an almost self-contradictory goal. I think it does a good job of reaching that goal… It’s an interesting fragrance – more edgy than most L’Artisans. I like the direction this one takes.
03rd May, 2015

Add your review of Traversée du Bosphore

Shop for Traversée du Bosphore products online

Search Amazon for Traversée du Bosphore

Member images of Traversée du Bosphore

There are no member images of Traversée du Bosphore yet. Why not be the first?