No. 19 Poudré (2011)

HouseChanel
PerfumerJacques Polge
Parent CompanyWertheimer

About No. 19 Poudré

No. 19 Poudré is a feminine perfume by Chanel. The scent was launched in 2011 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Jacques Polge

No. 19 Poudré fragrance notes

Reviews of No. 19 Poudré

Poudré, to me, is a paradox. It's at once very like and unlike the original Chanel No. 19. I wanted to despise this trust-fund baby, but I can't. It's beautiful.

Like the original No. 19, the iris is strong but refined. No cloying candy-cookie-fruity-vanilla "please don't give me a speeding ticket, officer" nonsense here. Poudré smells smart.

When I wear Poudré instead of Chanel No 19, I don't get any of the "old lady perfume" complaints from my family. So maybe from a certain point of view, Poudré is Chanel No 19 with the "old lady perfume" factor taken out.
29th October, 2019 (last edited: 09th November, 2019)
Honestly, I didn't expect to love this, let alone like it.

Massive blast of powdery iris, straight away. Pretty! Suede-like note hiding beneath. Not what I expected, as I stated. Only ghostly citrus hints, to my nose. They are smothered by iris & galbanum, to start, then annihilated by the other heart notes.
Dreamy, Stevie Nicks styled invasion of mystery and romantic lyrics. Not overly flowery. Nearly face-powder nuances. Just plain lovely.
Iris, Tonka bean, and hyacinth create a lovely cloud. Anyone who doesn't appreciate its charms or at least its creativity, should have their head examined, IMO. Notes hang in the air like distant flute music.
10th September, 2019
Very excited to find Chanel No. 19 Poudre". I haven't been shopping since I retired and have not kept up with the newer formulations. I quit shopping when every bottle I tested smelled like Issey Miyaki and produced a headache from Hell.

No. 19 (although beautiful) did not develop well on my skin but
Poudre" is the exception. Not being familiar with all the notes used in perfumery I am unable to single out what I like about this fragrance.

It's clean, it's green, it' powdery, it's soft, it's light. The floral notes do not overpower the formula. In fact, the balance between the light citrus, the floral and the base flow together like a walk through a butterfly garden on a Spring day.

I wish it were a bit weightier but then it wouldn't be what it is, a waft of nature floating on a light breeze through your bedroom window.
03rd August, 2018
My problem is with the name. There isn't sufficient connection to No. 19 but Chanel must have decided that an austere bitch must have a softer side. In my horticulture training a group of us tackled a massive pile of Iris rhizomes, discarding the spent and trimming up the new offshoots for replanting. When Chris Sheldrake narrates the Iris Poudre you tube clip it's as if I'm there again; I can't deny the manual labour required to produce my favourite base, iris butter. I simply don't understand the austere, heartless bitch reputation of Chanel No 19, the embryo, in some influential minds, being Gabrielle herself. Instead, think Piaf and La Vie en Rose.

Actually I'm not objective enough to pull Iris Poudre to its marshmallow bits, so I just have to agree with the others, and put myself on a lover's cross, wear it most days, saving the original No.19 for higher heels and repartee with a male chauvinist.
16th July, 2017 (last edited: 30th August, 2017)
It takes only a single spray of No. 19 Poudre on one's wrist and studying it over the next ten hours to understand why Chanel has been the darling of so many women over so many decades. No. 19 Poudre is a brilliantly crafted floral centred around iris. There is intially a hint of citrus, followed by an accord of iris and galbanum. The long dry down is a gorgeous musk. Not dirty musk, not laundry musk - just a fresh, slightly sweet musk that smells like clean human skin.

It's hard to believe how the same company pumps out inane masculine 'colognes' (Allure, Bleu, Platinum Egoiste) year after year.

No. 19 Poudre is elegant, sophisticated but also very modern and approachable, and not too elaborate. It's unmistakably Chanel. Unlike some other Chanels, it also has adequate sillage and excellent longevity.

01st July, 2017
I recently bought my Mum a bottle of No19 Poudre, as she fancied a green fragrance for summer. As soon as I smelled it on her I knew it reminded me of something, but I couldn't think what. Today, one of my friends was wearing Mugler Cologne - the first time I've smelled it for at least ten years, and it smells identical to No19 Poudre on my Mum. I don't know if the two fragrances would be quite so similar on everyone, but I really can't tell the two apart. My Mum likes her No19 Poudre very much; her only complaint is that it doesn't last more than a few hours on her skin, and she has to reapply it. The sillage, however is good; when I visit my Mum, I know immediately when she's wearing it as soon as I go into the house.

I haven't tried my Mum's No19 Poudre on my skin, but when I sniff the bottle, it makes me think of a more modern take on No19; ie. original No19 with the addition of tonka and white musk - thankfully, and perhaps rather surprisingly, no vanilla. However, when my Mum wears it, it is exactly like Cologne on my friend!

A very pleasant, modernised version of No19; however, for myself, I prefer the original - particularly the Parfum strength. As I have stated in some of my other reviews of Chanel fragrances, I am really not a fan of Jacques Polge's perfumes; No19 Poudre, and No18 are, in my opinion, definitely his best to date.
17th June, 2017

Add your review of No. 19 Poudré

Shop for No. 19 Poudré products online

Bond No. 9 High Line by Bond No. 9 Eau De Parfum Spray 3.3 oz / 100 ml (Women)

End Date: Tuesday Jan-21-2020 1:57:34 PST
Buy It Now for only: $204.07

CK Be by Calvin Klein 6.7 oz / 200 ml eau de toilette spray unboxed no cap

End Date: Tuesday Jan-21-2020 1:57:40 PST
Buy It Now for only: $30.00
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

English Laundry No. 7 English Laundry EDP Spray 3.4 oz / 100 ml (F)

End Date: Tuesday Jan-21-2020 2:03:52 PST

LIGHT BLUE BY DOLCE&GABBANA WOMEN EDT SPRAY 3.3 OZ 100ML TESTER No Box

End Date: Tuesday Jan-21-2020 2:40:51 PST
Buy It Now for only: $50.00
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Amber Sultan Surge Lootens 8ml Perfume Oil Attar Musk Oud (contains no alcohol)

End Date: Tuesday Jan-21-2020 2:40:54 PST

Christian Dior Sauvage Eau De Toilette 3.4 oz / 100 ml For Men New - No Box

End Date: Tuesday Jan-21-2020 3:20:02 PST
Buy It Now for only: $72.50
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Body Oil Tycoon- Men's - 400 count Designer Cologne Fragrances (No Display)

End Date: Tuesday Jan-21-2020 3:26:03 PST

Perfume Mujer Clive Christian No. 1 Pure Perfume Spray 1oz Women

End Date: Tuesday Jan-21-2020 3:44:01 PST
Buy It Now for only: $344.25

Member images of No. 19 Poudré

There are no member images of No. 19 Poudré yet. Why not be the first?