Avant Garde (2011)

PerfumerShyamala Maisondieu
SupplierGivaudan
Parent CompanyInter Parfums

About Avant Garde

Avant Garde is a masculine fragrance by Lanvin. The scent was launched in 2011 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Shyamala Maisondieu

Avant Garde fragrance notes

Reviews of Avant Garde

What a fantastic fragrance! Certainly up there with my favourites right now.

Lanvin Avant Garde does beeswax like no other in my humble opinion. A beautiful sweet and masculine offering that you are not likely to be smelling on any of your friends/family/colleagues. I agree with the YSL La Nuit dry down comparison mentioned previously and any comparison to that touch of class is a winner in my book. I also get the L'Occitane des baux comparison but I don't consider this to be an inferior scent, I like both and as I said the beeswax note is the fixer. I don't get much tobacco and would not refer this to a tobacco lover. If you like honey there is a high chance you will like this.

The bottle is simple and classy. I like wearing this for work as it is subtle and suitably formal.

I really can't recommend this under the radar beauty enough, especially if you have a sweet tooth and favour gourmands like me. Lanvin Avante Garde will proudly remain in my collection for years to come.
21st February, 2016
The opening, somehow, reminds me a lot of 1 Million but then it starts to smell very pleasant, like La Nuit de L'Homme with a dark note of tobacco and then the famous beeswax note that smells amazing on my dry skin.
It is a blind buy if you're interested in sweet fragrances, very masculine though.
It DOES NOT smell cheap, even if its price is below average
15th December, 2015
A quiet gourmand and masculine too. This recalls many scents I have tried and liked...Baldessarini by Hugo Boss comes to mind, though this is more of a Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille Eau Leger Cologne.

I find many gourmands to be too sweet or too feminine. This is not the case here. It is smooth tobacco and syrup (honey to me is more of that dirty big note). This is not for the world to smell but rather a close comforting scent. I find it fits well in the cooler fall weather, specially since I tend to overpsray, the lack of high temps makes it work out great. The price is incredible. Snag one before it starts going back up. Roughly $20 to $25 at the time if this review.
18th August, 2015
dreese Show all reviews
This is a honey-tobacco symphony, elegant and refined. The shape is bold, but low-to-middle projection makes it a close-up secret. The notes are well-balanced and it feels that each ingredient appears in equal measure. Some here say that they don't detect the wax/honey, but I can detect it underneath the tobacco; for me they are intertwined.
20th June, 2015
Not very impressive at all, IMO. I had high expectations from all the positive reviews, but this is just a weak and watered down version of L'Occitane's Eau des Baux or Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille. EdB and TV have much cleaner notes, better formulation, better composition and last 8 times as long as AG. AG offered weak sillage for about 2 hours. I assume AG is sold based on price and if that's the case, EdB is the clear winner here.
08th May, 2015
Blind bought this based on the reviews and what I have read on the Basenotes forums.

The reviews already posted say pretty much everything that needs to be said about this one.

What I get is tobacco and vanilla, with a weak vetiver note underneath. Smooth, creamy, but not overly sweet. I really enjoy this fragrance, and the price is just a bonus.
23rd March, 2015