CB Musk (2004)

Year of Launch2004

HouseCB I Hate Perfume
PerfumerChristopher Brosius

About CB Musk

CB Musk is a shared / unisex perfume by CB I Hate Perfume. The scent was launched in 2004 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Christopher Brosius

CB Musk fragrance notes

Reviews of CB Musk

I had high hopes for this...I'm always on the lookout for good animalics to add to my wardrobe...well , this turned out to be rather dissapointing...there is a pretty awesome civety musk thing going on , but it's ruined by that funky semirotting fungal smell that others have mentioned...to my nose, I sometimes also get that odor and nosefeel you get from a fresh coat of latex paint...one of the few accents I pick up on seems to be cinnamon , and even that smells moldlike and past it's prime...not a bilgy fragrance, but gives me that same yuccky kind of effect I get from bilge...applaud the effort , but no cigar...
19th March, 2018
rbaker Show all reviews
The opening is surprisingly fresh for what is a darker type of musk. There is a whiff of castoreum draped over what is quite a sweetish mixture of top notes. The musk has definite civety-animalistic characeteristics, but compared to Khoublaï Khan and to Musc Ravageur it is a tad less savage and less wild.

The drydown looses the fresher components, and the musk now reigns supreme. Darker, sweetish and rich, it gradually loses the animalistic characteristics, although this is never a particularly egregiously skanky blend on my skin at the best of times. In the base the musk is quite gentle, fading out gradually.

I get moderate sillage, very good projection and eleven hours of longevity on my skin.

This is a well-balanced and delightfully blended winter musk. The ingredients are of excellent quality, and whilst the dark and wild side has been smoothened out somewhat and it is a bit linear at times, it is a definite must to try out for the musk-lover. 3.5/5.
06th January, 2017
A warm civet-y musk that isolates the sweaty crotch facet of MKK and sweetens it a tad. Somewhat dank and gooey, it smells like skin, but also like a musty room or an old store. There’s a murmur of mushroom, hints of something rubbery, and a whisper of ambrette, but it’s predominantly a civet blend over a dry synth woody-amber. As far as musks go, it does the job really well, but it’s very specific, and carnality is clearly its main agenda. I could see this being worn by itself to good, pervy effect, but it could also function as a way to sex up something more chaste. Fun, surprisingly cozy stuff for those who aren’t offended by perfumes that are a bit raunchy.
28th July, 2014
I give this one a thumbs up in complete confusion. Huge kudos to Christopher Brosius in making this scent, very ingenious, very different.

The first thing I noticed when I smelled it on my skin was that it actually put a taste in my mouth! It was shocking and interesting at the same time. It was intended to be a sexy scent in the truest sense of the word. It smells like intertwined bodies, like sex, ambery, the mushroom scent is definitely there, sweaty, a little fecal... I think I will like using this mixed with other fragrances. It is a little too raw by itself!
10th February, 2013
There is a fungi overtone to this musk, the odor of decaying mushrooms in wet woods. Which set me to thinking.
Some mushrooms emit a chameleon-type gassy muskiness, offensive to some, not to others. It reminds me of the variability of musk. I'm a mushroom gatherer, but never thought of this characteristic as 'musk'. But that gaseous quality is what this fragrance possesses.
It is indeed the repulsive/compelling smell of Clitocybe nebularis, Cloudy Clitocybe, with the gassy emissions likened to skunk cabbage, rotting vegetation, etc. But, tmn, I can now add another comparison - "CB I Hate Perfume Musk" with its mushroom musk. What a stinker!
03rd October, 2012 (last edited: 02nd October, 2014)
Like the human beings responsible for them perfumes are, at base, beasts. There are four glandular secretions from animals common in perfumery, used either singularly or in combination: ambergris (coughed up by sperm whales), castoreum (taken from the abdominal sacs of beavers), civet (a speciality of the Ethiopian cat of the same name), and musk (harvested from East Asian deer). With CB MUSK, Christopher Brosius has attempted to 'reinvent' the last of these as the natural product becomes increasingly scarce following the introduction in 1979 of a protected status for the musk deer.

Musks are funny things, apparently existing at the extreme edge of what is detectable by the human nose (musk molecules are very large). A little research suggests the reactions to CB MUSK are diverse, many, and not easily reconciled. My own response will possibly add to the confusion, for what I smell is a peculiarly glowing, chlorine-like odour, with a milder strain of something feral lurking underneath. Imagine sniffing a little bleach and Serge Lutens' Muscs Koublaï Khän simultaneously (those who consider the Lutens a scrubber may have tested this hypothesis already). Scrambling for natural comparisons, the closest I can manage is damp mushrooms from a fertile patch of forest shade – which doesn’t sit very convincingly with the bleach-plus-MKK approximation, but this scent is really that tricky to describe.

CB MUSK has formidable sticking power and negligible sillage. Even if you don't like it, it's an excellent educational tool for sensitizing one’s nose to the quirky variability of musks. It allowed me, for instance, to identify what was musky about Frederic Malle’s Musc Ravageur, a way of cutting through its copious vanilla.

Demands investigation.
11th July, 2012 (last edited: 22nd July, 2012)

Add your review of CB Musk

Shop for CB Musk products online

Member images of CB Musk

There are no member images of CB Musk yet. Why not be the first?