Lavender Palm (2011)

HouseTom Ford
PerfumerYann Vasnier
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Lavender Palm

Lavender Palm is a shared / unisex perfume by Tom Ford. The scent was launched in 2011 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Yann Vasnier

Lavender Palm fragrance notes

Reviews of Lavender Palm

An unexpected scent...

I really had no idea what to think about this scent from the mixed reviews. I've been offered bottles in swaps, but never really felt brave enough to just "go for it". However, a friend I have done many trades with had it, and I figured it was time to test those particular waters.

I have been testing this today, and whereas I previously had assumed this would be either going into my swap or sales pile, I am convinced I will be keeping this particular brew! I am not a fan of "barbershop" scents for myself. I admire other women who can pull it off, but I just can't. But I do love lavender, and have not had any luck with lavender in a scent that doesn't lean dramatically masculine as well as screams "I just had a shave and a haircut!" - but then this strange and unusual combination of elements comes together and all of a sudden, here is a lavender perfectly suited for women!

It can be described as a salty (I know, weird, right?), and yet creamy lavender - yea, I know...doesn't make sense. Here is something to add to the nonsensical description - I am reminded of the beach on a cool day. I know, you think I'm losing my mind. And whereas everyone talks about this being "California" I think about the mid-Atlantic beaches I have loved all of my life. This is (dare I say it?) the aquatic I have been searching for! How can this be??? I do not comprehend how these notes that I can truly pick out, combine to bring me a clear vision of a mid-Atlantic beach on a cool day! How seriously bizarre and wonderful!
16th October, 2016
Tom Ford's Lavender Palm, one of the many discontinued Private Blends, actually smells very much like its name---a mixture of lavender and the palm leaf (though I'm not in a part of the US where palm trees grow, their smell is nonetheless familiar from Palm Sunday). In that respect, it's fresh, unisex, and oddly creamy. It's versatile enough to work in cold weather, but I imagine it shines mostly in warm weather, where its potency is best expressed. I don't get much citrus at the opening but I do get some other flowers in the middle, in addition to lavender. Longevity and projection are decent, even with the Private Blend cost and status in mind.

A pleasant warm weather-friendly member of the Private Blend family, Lavender Palm is not one I'll be reaching for much, nor would I spring for a rare bottle, but it's an interesting facet of the collection.

6 out of 10
19th February, 2016
California Lavender...

So with this creation Tom Ford meant to evoke California (and specifically L.A.) in bottle. As someone who hasn't been to California, I'll have to take his word for it here.

The smell... To me this is a wonderfully authentic Lavender which is surrounded by herbs and fresh citrus. There are actually two types of Lavender being used here by the perfumer, Yann Vasnier, which are supported by clary sage, bergamot, oakmoss, and both lemon and lemon blossom. At the bottom of this herbal base is vetiver and olibanum... and the overall feel is that of a dry, salty, yet fresh, herbal lavender.

Personally I am someone who loves the smell of lavender, and although lavender is sometimes seen as a masculine note, I think this could work on male or female. The composition is fresh in the beginning, turning to dry and herbal in the base. It's almost like a "salty" lavender... as if the lavender bushes are growing by the sea coast, with the salt in the air and the dry herbal aroma coming from the bush being baked in the sun.

It's a wonderful feeling, but the problem is (as with most Tom Ford Private Blends), is that the price can be a little high. Lavender Palm is a wonderful, authentic lavender fragrance, but it's just as good as any other really good lavenders I have smelled, if you have the money for this (and want to smell like California luxury), go for it. But you can also check out a classic like Caron's Pour Un Homme which will also give an authentic lavender. But for a herbal, dry, citrus lavender, this is probably one of the best out there (if you have the money for it).
03rd November, 2014
I hear a lot of people going crazy for the opening, me not so much. Okay, the lavender smells pretty real and pure. Thats all fine, but for me, it's the drydown and the base that I love. When the lavender dries down a bit with the sweet citrus notes coming in thats when (at least on my skin) it becomes a pretty damn nice and fresh fragrance.
12th February, 2014
Quixotic yet Lavendar

Yann Vasnier proves that he is truly in a league of his own with this extraordinary creation.

Lavender Palm is composed so astonishingly well, and with such a masterful hand, that it creates a lush and intoxicating mirage which bears no resemblance to it's elements. To smell it is to forget it's notes of lime, bergamot, clary sage and the ubiquitous lavender, and to discover a new fantasy. It is a pure, bright, fresh, and cool green floral apparition that is almost alien in its newness, and almost singular in its presentation.

Pros: Wholly modern, inventive, unfamiliar
Cons:

27th September, 2013
All short of bad

From Tom Ford's exclusive Private Blend line, Lavender Palm bases itself on a note (lavender) which has been used so many times and sets out to innovate from the crowd. And it certainly does do that. Lavender Palm has one of THE best lavender notes out there (and lavender is one of my favorite notes) , but one great note doesn't necessarily make for a great fragrance as a whole.

And as soon as it's sprayed, the lavender note comes out storming and trumpeting itself to the front of the pack. And what a great lavender note it is. To a much less synthetic grade than your lavender note in a fragrance, this smells exactly like a natural lavender oil. Not to say that they're aren't other notes accompanying it in the opening, but it is certainly the most noticeable one. But it is not just your typical lavender, but it has a herbal minty feel to it, making it feel less like a typical floral note, but rather something refreshing and cooling.

However, that is short lived. Within minutes, the lavender note dies down and hides behind the others, which are not nearly as masterfully done. Beyond that short (though heavenly) opening) is an empty husk of what it was minutes ago. The sweet-floral vetiver background is quite generic and perhaps similar to L'Homme Libre, but if you compare it aside many other typical designer scents, it's hard to tell that it will stand out. This is not a bad or unpleasant fragrance. It more-so borders neutral and mediocre and doesn't compete to all of the other lavendar fragrances out there.

Many people buy a fragrance based on their first impression, and it's clear that this is a front-loaded fragrance meant to impress. This is a fragrance that it meant to be smelled by the atomizer, but doesn't exactly pan out when worn (and I've worn it on several parts of my body, as well as tried it on different materials including paper). It's all the same unfortunate end. In addition, the projection and longevity (in which it projects) are incredibly weak and among the worst I've ever encountered. It doesn't matter how indescribably good the first few minutes are if the rest of the fragrance just isn't up to par.

The price range: $200 for 50ml and $300 for 100ml. Sorry, not happening. In no way would I recommend this to anyone. The casual consumer and the collector both have better options available. Even lavender enthusiasts looking for lavendar-based fragrance surely must have dozens of better options.

16th July, 2013

Add your review of Lavender Palm

Shop for Lavender Palm products online

Search Amazon for Lavender Palm

Member images of Lavender Palm

There are no member images of Lavender Palm yet. Why not be the first?