Le Vetiver Itasca (2010)

HouseLubin
PerfumerThomas Fontaine
Parent CompanyLubin

About Le Vetiver Itasca

Le Vetiver Itasca is a masculine fragrance by Lubin. The scent was launched in 2010 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Thomas Fontaine

Reviews of Le Vetiver Itasca

Le Vetiver Itasca is a high-quality fragrance with one jarring accord that sticks out to my nose just enough to keep me from giving it a thumbs up.

The top is great, and refreshing. I mainly get a floral grapefruit with a backbone of something slightly nutty, smooth and satisfying. I wish this phase lasted longer. It's unique and really works for me.

Scent Detective mentioned astringent note in the middle, and that sums up the problem for me. It might be the mixture of clove and nutmeg, very sharp spices that complete with the lingering grapefruit in a kind of sour tug of war that I don't find pleasant. This phase lasts too long.

The base is a perfectly nice woody, somewhat spicy, fougere-ish barbershop-ish vetiver that's very versatile. No fireworks, but a really high quality accord. Longevity and sillage are both average.

I'm on the edge of a thumbs up, but can't fully recommend Itasca to the extended astringent/sour phase in the heart.
13th April, 2017
Itasca is a gem of a fragrance. It's not a vetiver fragrance as such. Neither do I find it particularly piney, herbal or astringent.

Consider all the fresh, sporty aftershaves and fragrances for men that flooded the market before things started to become calorie laden. Think of all the Gillette aftershaves and the Cool Water inspired fragrances. Some of them were green, some aquatic, some a little woody. All were fresh.

Now take all the good renditions of that style. And then take all the best elements of those good renditions, create a proper blend, and bottle it as an eau de parfum.

That is Itasca. It is invigorating, fresh, green, foresty and smells wonderful. It is neither juvenile nor mature. Perfect for all seasons, and almost all occasions. It successfully evokes an aftershave vibe due to its associations with fresh modern aftershaves, but is much classier.

Great in slightly warm weather, even better when it's slightly cool.

Good projection and longevity. Excellent stuff.

15th May, 2016
I've been waiting to review Itasca until I'd worn it for a while. I didn't love it the first two times I wore it. So, I thought to be fair, I'd give it some additional wearings and let it "soak" in, so to speak. Well...I don't hate it. I get the juniper berry in round 1, and I enjoy that. The rest of the notes duke it out from there. In round 2 the notes also fight it out for dominance I'd prefer a little more straight juniper in the opening and less competition from the other notes in the opening and middle notes. There's an almost astringent quality that is slightly off putting to me. The bottom line is this juice feels like the notes are competing with each other a little too much. It sort of fights it's way through the day duking it out with itself and just wore me down by the end. Unfortunately I can't smell the Red Pine or the Canadian Fir Balsam in the melange of other notes in the bottom notes either. With all that said, I still don't hate this juice. I'm somewhat intrigued by the sheer busyness of it. The longevity and sillage are impressive. About 9 hours for me.
19th April, 2016
Very nice variation of vetiver. It's "modern classic". As someone said - it has notes of barber shop but it also have fresh part. Good stuff to wear all year long. Nowadays it's my No 1 fragrance
03rd December, 2015
Itasca is one of the most refined masculine fragrances I have ever had the pleasure of wearing. It's a combination of boozy citrus, geranium flower, vetiver and woods. Not a green scent, but a evenly balanced "forest" like fragrance.

Itasca opens with rich pine, citrus and juniper berry note, that develops a slightly boozy accord, as geranium flower and nutty spices replace the opening citrus. Pine is still the main theme and carries the fragrance forward, however Itasca never becomes a spicy wood scent, as the perfumer deftly balances the coniferous pine, fir, balsam and cedar with a warm vetiver, incense and myrrh. The fragrance evolves very subtle and warm, and evokes a hike in the Cascade Mountains conifer forest. Not a heavy scent and would be safe for the office or anything casual, especially fall and winter. Somewhat reminiscent of a better quality Azzaro in the later stages, but slightly sweeter with much lower amplification. Excellent longevity, with 3 sprays lasting 10+ hours.

Thumbs Up, but maybe not bottle worthy.
28th February, 2015 (last edited: 21st November, 2015)
Barbershop in a bottle. Reminds me of my teenage years when all I could afford were ‘after shaves’ – they smelled of a mixture of conifers, citruses, spices and were inevitably sweet and salubrious. Well, Itasca is at the apex of that genre, perfectly pitched and balanced, with the added benefit of not being gone in a flash, bringing that sense of freshly shaven well-being. A perfect gift for trad man.
It’s a perfume style I’ve outgrown, but I can admire this iteration nonetheless – the smooth vetiver base, the sweet and juicy tonka-geranium combo peeking through the fir trees, the restrained but discernible spicing. Itasca is a lithe young thing in a white towelling bathrobe.
14th November, 2014

Add your review of Le Vetiver Itasca

Shop for Le Vetiver Itasca products online

Search Amazon for Le Vetiver Itasca

Member images of Le Vetiver Itasca

There are no member images of Le Vetiver Itasca yet. Why not be the first?