Armani Privé Oud Royal (2011)
    by Giorgio Armani

Average Rating: 4.5

Based on 19 ratings

Armani Privé Oud Royal Fragrance notes

Licorice, Myrrh, Guaiac wood, Labdanum, Incense, Oud, Amber, Musk, Vanilla

Armani Privé Oud Royal information

Part of the "Mille et une Nuits collection"

Reviews of Armani Privé Oud Royal

Showing 1 to 6 of 7 reviews.
    positive 5 Positive Reviewsneutral2 Neutral Reviewsnegative No Negative Reviews

odysseusm's avatar

An excellent scent. Oud-centric, to be sure. But everything is well blended, the oud is distinctive but not problematic. Sure, there is the rubbery band-aid and medicinal aspect, but that is the charm of oud. It is quite addictive when you get used to it.
    The opening is charming and aromatic. The hint of licorice is a brilliant combination with the soapy-sweet myrrh. Here, it reminds me of Fou D'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumer.
    The scent is dry -- a welcome feature. Good hints of wood appear from time to time.
    The dry-down has amber, musk and vanilla but these are softening background agents rather than prominent features.
    Oud fans should check this out, and those curious or new to oud could find this an acceptable introduction to the genre.

13 May, 2014

rbaker's avatar

This is not a creation where the oud is added as an extra - the opening is oud-centred on my skin, and quite convincingly so. The myrrh that is added is also convincing as is the labdanum in the drydown with at times a smoky touch on my skin. The base is based on a dark musk note that is tempered by a not-too-sweet vanilla note, buy I never perceived this as a vanilla scent. Decent projection and good silage, but the three hours of longevity are a bit less than expected. A class better, though, to many of the usual fragrance products that Armani has released over the last few years. A winter-warmer for colder nights.

03 January, 2014

CaliDude's avatar

Wasn't for me.

Oud Royal is a very oud-centric scent. Has a strong Middle Eastern vibe, reminds me of Dubai. I'm glad I sampled this and didn't blind buy. Upon first sniff, it reminded me of burnt rubber and wasn't versatile for me. I'll pass on this one, not my cup of tea. I would highly suggest sampling first, this is a very risky blind buy.

Pros: High quality oud scent.
    Cons: Reminds me of burnt rubber. Not versatile for me."

16 September, 2013

dvdlpznyc's avatar

Handsome, distinct, reserved, calculated, brief, but incredibly intriguing. I have received a lot of compliments with each wearing, mostly at work, surprisingly mostly from people who generally don't go out of their way to speak when it's not particularly necessary. Which says something to me. For an Oud, it's remarkably safe for a relatively conservative work-place, which is refreshing, especially considering the fact that I also really enjoyed wearing this at home, and also "out on the town." Not having to stop and reconfigure in between places is most welcome. However, since it is, after all, an Oud, I wish there were just more "oomph."

21st February, 2013 (Last Edited: 07 March, 2013)

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Armani Prive Oud Royal.
    This oud is clearly cut from the same timbre as Killian Pure Oud and also Harrod's Ltd. Edition Oud but it is a bit more complex than either of these two by having a gourmand tilt. I would call this a Royal Confection Oud Bar. The oud is incense and mossy while the complimenting notes spices, sweets and nuts. After the warm oudish opening, instead of becoming a leather scent, or an deep dark woods oud, Royal Oud notes take a tasty and slightly gourmand twist with vanilla, amber, licorice, saffron and davana to create a warm sweet edible sensation. This chewy hazelnut confection aspect of Royal Oud results in a much gentler and very house broken oud, ready to wear oud. Notes are: davana, saffron, licorice, myrrh, guaiacwood, labdanum, incense, oud, amber, musk, vanilla. A very pleasant scent that is regretttably a bit short lived. rating 4/5

05 December, 2012

Dernier_Cri's avatar

Wow, talk about dark and brooding. Was this Oud Royal an only child brought up by regal, loving but austere parents, his only comforts his books, his few toys and his flights of fantasy from his great loneliness? Something so sad about this one. Normally I would be drawn to all this melancholy in a perfume but this is offputtingly austere and difficult for me to warm to. Extremely dry despite the use of vanilla and amber. Has a leathery quality especially early on. Some pencil eraser. Very linear. Seamless. I wonder whether Oud Royal wasn't made with more caution than confidence.
    I do feel Oud Royal has a place, perhaps as just the kind of unique take on oud that it is: a very dry, low-key, quietly smoldering, slightly leathery one. I would not call it a resounding success.
    I have read in the forum some tentative preliminary comparison of Armani Prive Oud Royal with By Kilian Pure Oud. Let me state here as emphatically as I can: There is no comparison between the two. They are not similar in any fashion and as a satisfying fragrance Oud Royal is not in the same league with Pure Oud.
    I have described Oud Royal as having a leathery quality. At the risk of anyone interpreting this as there being a possible positive similarity between Oud Royal and Dior Leather Oud let me just say that Dior Leather Oud and Armani Prive Oud Royal do not share much in common. Leather Oud is the much better fragrance in this case also.

24 May, 2012 (Last Edited: 30th May, 2012)

Add your review of Armani Privé Oud Royal