M7 Oud Absolu (2011)

PerfumerJacques Cavallier
SupplierFirmenich
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group > YSL Beaute

About M7 Oud Absolu

M7 Oud Absolu is a masculine fragrance by Yves Saint Laurent. The scent was launched in 2011 and the fragrance was created by perfumers Jacques Cavallier and Alberto Morillas

M7 Oud Absolu fragrance notes

Reviews of M7 Oud Absolu

M7 Oud Absolu is more formal and less pungent version of the old M7. The original M7 is all about showing strength and willpower, determination, moving around the town in the evening. M7 Oud Absolu on the other hand is a bit more toned down, calmer, for closed quarters. However it doesn't mean that it's weaker. The medicinal note here is less pronounced.

All in all, this version is a bit more calm, pleasant and chic without being less potent. I lasts and projects rather well.

If I had to choose, of course the original is original and that's that. However I'm very happy and pleased with this version. It's not that significantly far from the original in character and spirit. There are a few differences from up close. From the distance however, even avid fans will simply recognise it as M7 and not this or that version.

Conclusion: may he stay here even in this bottle. Spirit, character and signature are here. Longevity and projection are adequate. That's good enough for me.

Originality 7/10 high because old M7 is gone
Scent 9/10
Longevity 9/10
Projection 7/10
_________________
80%
16th September, 2017
I'd heard a lot of good things about M7, and wanted to try the current equivalent. It was cheap enough to warrant a blind buy, and I fell in love with it at first wear!

There are notes that remind me of Pure Malt, which I also love on me. A gourmand opening that settles into lots of spice and wood. Strong, but not overpowering. I put it on in the evening, and still caught whiffs on my arm the next morning, so I'm impressed with the performance. I'll definitely be wearing this one a lot.
01st September, 2017
Only ever tried this iteration of M7 so i have no refernce re original.
This is one of the best smelling oud-dominant designers on the market. I especially love how the citrus-sweetish, chinotto opening develops into a patchouli/oud cooling middle. The trick is that it opens warm and develops to almost a cool minty patch within the first hour.
This i think makes it not just a cold weather scent, but wearable in most spring weather.
Eventually it transitions to a lovely syrupy, myrhh and oud combination.
It is a beautifully composed scent given the minimal accords used.
The one let down on my skin, is that i am luck to get 6 hours maximum longevity. Thus sits close to skin from the outset, and i find myself craving to get wafts of it as the day progresses.
At this point, i'll keep it in my colection because it lasts long enough for evening wear, and reasonably priced enough that i am not going to be stingy with sprays.

Scent: 8.5/10
Performance: 5/10
03rd July, 2017
Still undecided about this one!

Initial blast is lovely then it sort of changes. Not liking the oud. This is from an oud lover. It smells a little sweaty. Then you have this sweet and spice thing going on. Maybe just a little too much in the mixer??

UPDATE

Changed my mind on this one. Think it was the Patchouli coming through which is a scent I was not familiar with and takes a bit of time. Wore it to the office a few days last week and everyone seemed to like it. Very nice.
02nd May, 2017 (last edited: 06th May, 2017)
M7 oud absolu was a nice take on original M7: a distinct less medicinal and less sweet version. Myrrh was the composition's main star. The new reformulated version (with no black plastic cover) is like a junior version of both preview fragrances. Myrrh was muted. It's even less medicinal. Still nice, but seems shallow. There's something too trivial about its sweetness.
It should have been named as 'M7 oud absolu to the masses'.
10th March, 2017
Having been a detractor of the original M7, I must say that M7 Oud Absolu for me is a more satisfying, pleasant version of the loud original.

From the very start, M7 Oud Absolu broadcasts its M7 dna, which is unmistakably present. It seems like a tamed down version, like an "M7 light" vs. a dark, oud-heavy scent that the name would suggest. I did detect the cola quality that some reviewers had mentioned, a factor that I don't mind really (i.e., check out Calvin Klein's Dark Obsession, which I would call wearable cola. ;^>).

A safe, oud-ish rethink of the original that I wouldn't mind owning, along like the lines of some of Atelier Cologne's oud formulations; though I am so in love with my bottle of Versace pour Homme Oud Noir, which gives me my dose of oud in a more exotic and memorable way...I will hold off for now on such a purchase.
05th March, 2017 (last edited: 06th March, 2017)

Add your review of M7 Oud Absolu

Shop for M7 Oud Absolu products online

Search Amazon for M7 Oud Absolu

Member images of M7 Oud Absolu

There are no member images of M7 Oud Absolu yet. Why not be the first?