M7 Oud Absolu (2011)

Average Rating: 4

Based on 59 ratings

M7 Oud Absolu Fragrance Notes

M7 Oud Absolu information

M7 Oud Absolu is a men's fragrance by Yves Saint Laurent. The scent was launched in 2011

Shop for M7 Oud Absolu products online

Reviews of M7 Oud Absolu

Showing 1 to 6 of 20 reviews.
    positive 20 Positive Reviewsneutral2 Neutral Reviewsnegative No Negative Reviews

Bosh's avatar

Such a fabulous fragrance! I could literally lock myself in a small room so that I am surrounded by it. At my local John Lewis it's almost been hidden to prevent everyone from discovering it. The previous reviews hinting at a cherry aroma from the start are spot on IMO, the Oud is warm and deep. I love this stuff, a connoisseurs fragrance!

11th February, 2015

RUDOLFO512's avatar

M7 Oud Absolu is a great fragrance. Perfect for night time wear, it is elegant and sophisticated. Patchouli and Oud give it a sweet, woody feel. I wore it for the first time to a family dinner around Christmas time (2014). My Mom was the first one to compliment me. After that, the compliments just came pouring in. Needless to say I was very happy.

My rating: 10/10

06th January, 2015

Gedlive's avatar

My favorite fragrance. The manderine patchuli oud are in the opening and the manderine stays throughout the mid as more of a bitter orange vib. Makes it the most fresh of the three M7 formulations. So the softer elements make the oud and pachuli less sharp, but there is a nice tangyness to the exotic eastern oud woodsy scent. The fragrance beutifully transforms into a softer ending as the base notes come through of labdanum and myrhh. Labdanum can be found in the book of Exodus ch. 30 as God gave Moses the ingredients for the incense used for worship. M7 oud absolu is right between the original M7 and M7 fresh in a way. Labdanum is also called the rose of Sharon in the Bible, in the basenotes pyramid it's called rock rose. I dont get amber in the base notes or dry down, the dry down is beutifull as many have said, a moving sensual experience, as in (senses). The M7 fresh, is what got me into fragrances a year ago. I was the winning bidder on a large bottle recently. It has an amber and musk drydown, I noticed today, similar to what I like in Kouros fragrance.

22nd November, 2014

jumpfrog's avatar

I have been wearing one version or another everyday, no matter what occasion, since 2008. It has never let me down. It is charming, refined, calm, and collected. There has been much debate between this and the previous version. To me, Oud Absolu is a little more "ambery" and little less "woody" than its predecessor. Which is a bit of a shame. However, it is still a legendary performer.

It opens with mandarin but this soon gives way to amber. The woodenness we all know and love joins the party after an hour or so. It lasts on me for 3-4 hours max. I wish it would last more.

It is a fantastic fragrance, however it's not for boys. Not for your Hollister/waxed type. It's for the confident professional - young or old - who appreciates the finer things in life and is comfortable to stand out from the crowd. It's for those comfortable in their own skin.

People say these oud fragrances are for winter or autumn only - I disagree. Indeed, it is perhaps in warmer climes where oud notes truly come into their own. Which is why they are so popular in the Middle East.

03rd August, 2014 (Last Edited: 04th August, 2014)

Andyjreid's avatar

Scotland Scotland

A lot can change in 5 years.

This is the first review I have been compelled to leave here for a very long time. Through my years I have tried the original M7, owned a bottle of the reproduction, and, most recently have purchased a bottle of the Oud Absolu reissue.

My review of the original M7 was based on a sample I had which was great. I then went and bought myself a bottle to find it was a newer, reformulated (colourless glass with brown sticker), version. It was nice but too sweet and cloying.

I had the opportunity recently to try the Oud Absolu version which supposedly stayed truer to the original formulation. I can't remember the original sample I had but what I will say is that I feel that all the cloying sweetness if the reissue is gone in the Oud Absolu version but it holds the value of the original fragrance. Once again upon trying a sample this turned heads and this time I genuinely love everything about it too.

Warm and sensual without any overbearing synthetic notes. This lead to a full purchase.

Tastes can change over 5 years but YSL did a great job on this and have allowed me to say that I finally "get it".

25th July, 2014

OneTimeOnePlace's avatar

France France

First of all, this review is for both M7 Oud Absolu and original M7, as I think the two are very close. Oud Absolu is maybe a little bit more complex, and original M7 a bit darker, but they are so close to each other that i dont think necessary to write one review for each.

This, i think, is absolutely magnificent, i loved it at first whiff. This perfume is what drew me into fragrances. i remembered testing it for the first time at Sephora, and right from the start, i was struck by this medicinal, intoxicating, top note. This first note was a highlight for me, it said 'i'm not your usual fragrance, i'm something different, i'm something really special".

It IS something special, right from the begining you know it's gonna blow your mind. I'm not saying everone is going to like it, it has this medicinal top note that is strange in a way, that some people may find harsh (i personnaly love it), but wait for the dry down!!!

The drydown of this fragrance is something i would call heavenly, no other perfume can come close to what this does, it's woody, but deliciously woody, with a narcotic feel to it, it's probably the oud, mixed with labdanum, that makes this blend so addictive. Like someone said below, it has the strange ability to put me in a contemplative mood, and it's absolutely addictive in a deep, oriental, intoxicating way.

The longevity is 7-8 hours with this jewel, at the end of the drydown, the scent becomes more leathery and amberish. At this stage it doesn't project much but it will give you pleasant whiffs of leather and amber. The evolution of this perfume is like a dream, a wonderful one, and i've never smelled anything quite like it, it's a living thing, from the first intoxicating blast to the last whiff of amber.

It's my signature scent for the cold days, i noticed that the colder it is, the better, winter is when this fragrance shines in all its glory. You could wear it in the summer, but then the oud is a bit stronger, making it a little harsh, i personnaly love it anytime of the year.

20/20 Perfect/Masterpiece, thanks Alberto Morillas/Jacques Cavallier