M7 Oud Absolu (2011)

PerfumerJacques Cavallier
SupplierFirmenich
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group > YSL Beaute

About M7 Oud Absolu

M7 Oud Absolu is a masculine fragrance by Yves Saint Laurent. The scent was launched in 2011 and the fragrance was created by perfumers Jacques Cavallier and Alberto Morillas

M7 Oud Absolu fragrance notes

Reviews of M7 Oud Absolu

M7 oud absolu was a nice take on original M7: a distinct less medicinal and less sweet version. Myrrh was the composition's main star. The new reformulated version (with no black plastic cover) is like a junior version of both preview fragrances. Myrrh was muted. It's even less medicinal. Still nice, but seems shallow. There's something too trivial about its sweetness.
It should have been named as 'M7 oud absolu to the masses'.
10th March, 2017
Having been a detractor of the original M7, I must say that M7 Oud Absolu for me is a more satisfying, pleasant version of the loud original.

From the very start, M7 Oud Absolu broadcasts its M7 dna, which is unmistakably present. It seems like a tamed down version, like an "M7 light" vs. a dark, oud-heavy scent that the name would suggest. I did detect the cola quality that some reviewers had mentioned, a factor that I don't mind really (i.e., check out Calvin Klein's Dark Obsession, which I would call wearable cola. ;^>).

A safe, oud-ish rethink of the original that I wouldn't mind owning, along like the lines of some of Atelier Cologne's oud formulations; though I am so in love with my bottle of Versace pour Homme Oud Noir, which gives me my dose of oud in a more exotic and memorable way...I will hold off for now on such a purchase.
05th March, 2017 (last edited: 06th March, 2017)
Truth in advertising – this is not an “Absolu” version of M7. I have the original (vintage!) M7 and have done a side-by-side comparison. Absolu is much tamer and weaker than the original. Both have the fleeting Bergamot/Mandarin topnotes immediately followed by the prickly Oud note. Where they deviate is in the drydown. The original had a gorgeous musk/amber drydown that lasted for days. Absolu’s drydown has no musk and the amber is weaker, lasting only 3-4 hours. That said, Absolu is a highly satisfying excursion and is recommended.

20th October, 2016
Terrible performance!! Buyer beware!!

Initial smell is excellent. Unfortunately, that only lasts for about 15-20 minutes. After 30 minutes it becomes a very faint skin scent and after an hour it's not perceptible at all. What's the point of smelling great if you only smell great for 15 minutes?
12th August, 2016
I love this fragrance!

I should point out I am female and I bought as a scent for myself. I've never worn a "male" scent before but to be honest, I don't see this as strictly a masculine scent. I think it is more unisex.

I also don't know the original so I can't compare it. But again I love.

Normally it takes me ages to find a fragrance I like, with me going backwards and forwards for ages. Not with this scent. It was recommended to me and I bought it straight away. And I've worn it every day since.

It's middle of winter here and to me this is the perfect sophisticated, winter scent. I love the way it makes me feel. I must be honest I do love the fact that it doesn't smell like a typical female fragrance. But then I'm not a big fan of girly, sweet fragrances.

This is probably my all time favourite fragrance!

17th June, 2016
This is great! I have a little dabber that I've been trying a few times now and today it hit me in a completely different manner than it usually does. It smells very similar to Creed's Aberdeen Lavender or Tom Ford's Noir (men). There's a somewhat sweet cocoa-leathery vibe in addition to the carbonated beverage note that other reviews have mentioned.

I don't smell one bit of oud in this one and that's honestly fine. With the sweeter than normal notes I'm picking up I'm not certain if a dry-woody note would be a good thing. It has yet to become powdery in the few times I've sampled it.
10th March, 2016

Add your review of M7 Oud Absolu

Shop for M7 Oud Absolu products online

Search Amazon for M7 Oud Absolu

Member images of M7 Oud Absolu

There are no member images of M7 Oud Absolu yet. Why not be the first?