M7 Oud Absolu (2011)

Average Rating: 4

Based on 59 ratings

M7 Oud Absolu Fragrance Notes

M7 Oud Absolu information

M7 Oud Absolu is a men's fragrance by Yves Saint Laurent. The scent was launched in 2011

Shop for M7 Oud Absolu products online

$82.47*
    80ml EdT
    (*converted from GBP 49.30)
    $86.95*
    80ml EdT
    (*converted from GBP 51.98)

Reviews of M7 Oud Absolu

Showing 1 to 6 of 17 reviews.
    positive 17 Positive Reviewsneutral2 Neutral Reviewsnegative No Negative Reviews

jumpfrog's avatar

I have been wearing one version or another everyday, no matter what occasion, since 2008. It has never let me down. It is charming, refined, calm, and collected. There has been much debate between this and the previous version. To me, Oud Absolu is a little more "ambery" and little less "woody" than its predecessor. Which is a bit of a shame. However, it is still a legendary performer.

It opens with mandarin but this soon gives way to amber. The woodenness we all know and love joins the party after an hour or so. It lasts on me for 3-4 hours max. I wish it would last more.

It is a fantastic fragrance, however it's not for boys. Not for your Hollister/waxed type. It's for the confident professional - young or old - who appreciates the finer things in life and is comfortable to stand out from the crowd. It's for those comfortable in their own skin.

People say these oud fragrances are for winter or autumn only - I disagree. Indeed, it is perhaps in warmer climes where oud notes truly come into their own. Which is why they are so popular in the Middle East.

03 August, 2014 (Last Edited: 04 August, 2014)

Andyjreid's avatar

Scotland Scotland

A lot can change in 5 years.

This is the first review I have been compelled to leave here for a very long time. Through my years I have tried the original M7, owned a bottle of the reproduction, and, most recently have purchased a bottle of the Oud Absolu reissue.

My review of the original M7 was based on a sample I had which was great. I then went and bought myself a bottle to find it was a newer, reformulated (colourless glass with brown sticker), version. It was nice but too sweet and cloying.

I had the opportunity recently to try the Oud Absolu version which supposedly stayed truer to the original formulation. I can't remember the original sample I had but what I will say is that I feel that all the cloying sweetness if the reissue is gone in the Oud Absolu version but it holds the value of the original fragrance. Once again upon trying a sample this turned heads and this time I genuinely love everything about it too.

Warm and sensual without any overbearing synthetic notes. This lead to a full purchase.

Tastes can change over 5 years but YSL did a great job on this and have allowed me to say that I finally "get it".

25 July, 2014

OneTimeOnePlace's avatar

France France

First of all, this review is for both M7 Oud Absolu and original M7, as I think the two are very close. Oud Absolu is maybe a little bit more complex, and original M7 a bit darker, but they are so close to each other that i dont think necessary to write one review for each.

This, i think, is absolutely magnificent, i loved it at first whiff. This perfume is what drew me into fragrances. i remembered testing it for the first time at Sephora, and right from the start, i was struck by this medicinal, intoxicating, top note. This first note was a highlight for me, it said 'i'm not your usual fragrance, i'm something different, i'm something really special".

It IS something special, right from the begining you know it's gonna blow your mind. I'm not saying everone is going to like it, it has this medicinal top note that is strange in a way, that some people may find harsh (i personnaly love it), but wait for the dry down!!!

The drydown of this fragrance is something i would call heavenly, no other perfume can come close to what this does, it's woody, but deliciously woody, with a narcotic feel to it, it's probably the oud, mixed with labdanum, that makes this blend so addictive. Like someone said below, it has the strange ability to put me in a contemplative mood, and it's absolutely addictive in a deep, oriental, intoxicating way.

The longevity is 7-8 hours with this jewel, at the end of the drydown, the scent becomes more leathery and amberish. At this stage it doesn't project much but it will give you pleasant whiffs of leather and amber. The evolution of this perfume is like a dream, a wonderful one, and i've never smelled anything quite like it, it's a living thing, from the first intoxicating blast to the last whiff of amber.

It's my signature scent for the cold days, i noticed that the colder it is, the better, winter is when this fragrance shines in all its glory. You could wear it in the summer, but then the oud is a bit stronger, making it a little harsh, i personnaly love it anytime of the year.

20/20 Perfect/Masterpiece, thanks Alberto Morillas/Jacques Cavallier

21st April, 2014

I love M7 – the original version. I own two bottles. I wasn’t expecting much from M7 Oud Absolu, but I do appreciate it. I enjoy the fact that the opening cherry cough syrup note is toned down. The opening of M7 Oud Absolu is better balanced, smoother, more sophisticated, and, because of the mineral note / rockrose, more complex than the opening of its ancestor… The cherry cough syrup shock has become a cherry / short-lasting mineral / oud-rockrose accord that is wearable, oddly rich, and oddly captivating.

I’m not sure that the fragrance actually has a middle or heart accord. The opening seems to last into the drydown due to the presence of oud and the oud-supporting rockrose. In one sense, M7 Oud Absolu is quite linear – the cherry / oud continues for into the drydown, which is very prompt. Some hour after the beginning the aromatics of the oud and rockrose has settled enough that the patchouli becomes noticeable, which results in a smoother-but-less-edgy accord. These accords do not have the projection of the vintage – that I do not mind: The truly unfortunate characteristic of M7 Oud Absolu is that it does not have adequate longevity. I have a difficult time detecting more than a soft skin scent after two hours but the skin scent lasts adequately.

M7 Oud Absolu is a somewhat-edgy, somewhat-oud fragrance that is nicely, but not inspiredly, put together. It is likely not to offend and it’s an easy wear. It has somewhat poor longevity. I think it has its place in the vast scheme of things and I have purchased a bottle and wear it when I’m looking for an interesting but “non-threatening” fragrance. I appreciate it and I'm very comfortable with it… I find I wear it much more often than I wear my vintage M7.

01st March, 2014

sjg3839's avatar

Really like this one. This is oud for beginners. Not too harsh like a lot of other oud fragrances. Patchouli with a touch of amber balances this out just right. Just the right amount of incense. Kind of reminds me of GPH I. 8/10

23 February, 2014

blackheart2925's avatar

India India

Love M7 OA...never tried the original one but this one is superb!

Spray it one and immediately the smell of mandarins tickles the nose...a few mins later the patchouli and oud starts wafting and continues for a time...and finally the myrhh and incense...

One of the longest lasting frags ever...can smell it lightly on the skin after 20+ hrs!

love the middle patchouli, oud notes and absolutely love the base notes of myrh

Very warm fragrance for me...makes me feel nice and meditative...a special one this M7 OA

13 January, 2014

Add your review of M7 Oud Absolu

Search for on eBay United States

M7 OUD ABSOLU by Yves saint Laurent 2.7 oz ( 80 ml ) Eau De Toilette Men SEALED
    • Time Left: 21 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    Yves Saint Laurent M7 OUD ABSOLU 2.7fl. oz. ~ 80 ml.
    • Listing Type: Auction
    • Time Left: 14 days
    Yves Saint Laurent La Collection M7 Oud Absolu EDT Spray 80ml/2.7oz
    • Time Left: 20 days
    (Shipping from Australia)
    YVES SAINT LAURENT M7 OUD ABSOLU Eau De Toilette Spray 2.7 Oz / 80 ml NEW IN BOX
    • Time Left: 16 days