Kalimantan (2010)

Year of Launch2010

HouseChantecaille
PerfumerPierre Negrin

About Kalimantan

Kalimantan is a feminine perfume by Chantecaille. The scent was launched in 2010 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Pierre Negrin

Kalimantan fragrance notes

Reviews of Kalimantan

This is a gorgeous full throated stunner for anyone who enjoys benzoin, patchouli, incense, and resins. It brings to mind several of my favorites in elements. Other folks mention the amber/benzoin note, which is definitely there. But on me the patchouli really sings and brings to mind April Aromatic's Bohemian Spice. And oh the labdanum!

I am surprised this brand doesn't get more talk on basenotes - this and Vetyver are lovely, and I imagine if you do florals the others in the line would be appealing too.
02nd January, 2018
A really nice amber. It's heavy on the benzoin, so there's an old fashioned baby powder quality to it that keeps it from feeling too syrupy or smokey. Instead, it's "perfumey" in a classic way, like one of those amber balls in grandma's closet. There's also a nice dusty sandalwood supporting the benzoin, and a pinch of vanilla and a cozy frankincense drydown for warmth.

I ended up buying a travel size of this and I'm quite enjoying it in the cold weather. My tastes usually run towards dark smoky resinous ambers, but Kalimantan is such a perfect expression of benzoin in all its powdery matronly glory that I'm really happy with it even if it isn't what I usually enjoy.
01st December, 2016
Just tried this and it seems to share a lot of dna with Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan but slightly less balsamic which makes the vanilla come out a little more. Longevity is very good as is projection. I give this thumbs-up as it smells great, but I don't think I will ever purchase it since I already own Ambre Sultan and Copper Skies (which leans more towards the balsamic end of the spectrum) and the price point is not much different from those. However, it would be a good purchase for someone looking for a great sweet, resinous fragrance with a nice dose of vanilla.
27th July, 2014

Add your review of Kalimantan

Shop for Kalimantan products online

Search Amazon for Kalimantan

Member images of Kalimantan

There are no member images of Kalimantan yet. Why not be the first?