Arso (2011)

About Arso

Arso is a masculine fragrance by Profumum. The scent was launched in 2011

Arso fragrance notes

Reviews of Arso

Profumum Roma’s Arso accomplishes the great feat of mixing some great cold weather notes of resin, pine, cedar, incense, and leather, and somehow coming off a bit sweet in the process. I love the mix of notes on paper and they end up being harmonious on skin, as well. The leather is comparatively subdued, as I get mostly pine, incense, and resins, but this certainly still feels like a partly leather fragrance somewhere in the mix.

I regard it as almost halfway between the sweeter Imaginary Authors Cape Heartache and the sharper D.S. & Durga Bowmakers, though it leans closer to the former, just without its noteworthy strawberry sweetness. Still, there’s something about Arso that’s sweet, and I assume it to be the resins. One notable YouTube reviewer said it wasn’t sweet at all, but on my skin, it’s very sweet---perhaps not all-out gourmand sweet, but certainly sweet enough to be called a sweet fragrance, though of course experiences vary.

I believe Arso is depicted as unisex but I regard it as masculine-leaning , though I could imagine some women liking it. Performance is very strong, high projection and well above average longevity. I’m not sure I’d necessarily buy this one given that I own the two similar fragrances I cited above, and Arso is the highest priced of them of them all, at $250 for 100ml, but it’s certainly something to consider in the future. A great fragrance, especially for cold weather.

8 out of 10
01st August, 2016
The note pyramid looked promising. I like the pine and incense opening, but there seems too much cumin. It's not listed, but there is a warm spice that I believe is cumin. There is NO leather that I can detect. Dry down gives a very dry sawdust note, very linear with a pine note. I don't dislike it, but After wearing it for a full day, there is something irritating about it.
27th June, 2016 (last edited: 28th June, 2016)
Well...with a name like Arso, this fragrance could be the butt of a lot of jokes.

Seriously though, this fragrance is...INCREDIBLE!!! I absolutely love, love, love the opening notes!!! This is the best resinous pine I've found so far!!! I love pine so much, and I really pick it up with this scent. I'm not into the whole burning scent craze that seems to happen when someone uses coniferous notes these days, but it doesn't get in the way with this fragrance. I don't pick up any leather at all. This is a beautifully crafted product and I must have a bottle! I've just discovered Profumum Roma and both of the products I've experienced so far are exceptional in quality and in enjoyment. As Arso dries down the cedar comes into play. It's a very dry cedar and sits nicely on the skin. This was just such an enjoyable day because of this beautiful fragrance. Highest recommendation!
15th April, 2016
Notes:

Leather, incense, pine resin and cedar leaves.

Opinion: I couldn´t ask a better way to end Profumum Roma´s fragrances. My friends, I found my #2 smoky fragrance of all time! Arso is simply OUTSANDING! Once again, I have lack of words to describe this. What an incredibly balsamic, smoky, woody, leatherish (and sweet) scent! Right from the opening, Arso is memorable. Somehow, and in spite of not being listed, this fragrance has clearly a sweet vibe that (gladly) sticks for most of its development.

This is SO beautiful! The quality is...Profumum Roma, as this is exquisite, refined, powerful, warm, dry, dark (but quite wearable at the same time) and the added sweetness is heavenly here. The pine give a bit of Christmas tree vibe, I think. Gladly this is not overly dark or smoky, nor sweet, although this sometimes feel a bit like an edible pine. Nevertheless, it´s perfectly balanced (same as Sorriso). I can´t find anything bad to say about Arso.

Now, time for comparisons. Interlude Man, Cape Heartache and Fille en Aiguilles are the ones this fragrance is more compared to. I do believe that all of them have similar vibes (due to incense/smoky - Interlude Man, and Pine - Cape Heartache, and Pine and sweetness combined - Fille en Aiguilles), but I do believe that Arso is in a league of its own. I do know that many of you love Interlude Man to death and won´t agree with me, but this all resumes to a matter of tastes and opinions, and this is mine. I do believe that performance wise, Arso is close to Interlude, as really a beast!

Very glad to have sample Sorriso and Arso, as Profumum Roma is now clearly one of my favorite houses (like Xerjoff).

In conclusion: Arso is simply IMPRESSIVE!

Type/Gender: Masculine.

It´s clearly a masculine scent.

Season and Purpose: This is a Winter/Fall fragrance (mostly Winter). I´d avoid work or formal occasions, but I´d wear it in many occasions like night out, clubbing, special events, and maybe on dates (to to the sweet nature and highly masculine vibe). It´s clearly more wearable and versatile then Interlude Man.

Achilles heel:

Sillage: 8.65
Projection: 8.50
Uniqueness: 8.30
Versatility: 7.80
--- Overall: 8.77

Would I buy it? Yes!!!

This fragrance costs ~$230/250 for 100 ml. On the pricey side, but this is a must!!!
14th October, 2015
This reminds me of Guerlain Songe d'un Bois d'Ete, just a little. It's gamy in the same way. This is sweeter and smokier, so this one feels like a powerhouse.

I've change from thumbs up to neutral while I'm typing.

This is too sweet, covering something off, or sharp, the turpentine, I gather.

This one is interesting for sure. It has a bit of a camp fire feel at times.
06th June, 2015
The opening of Arso is, in fact, quite “burning” (“arso” means “burnt” in Italian); even more than the usual smoky/smoked note which seems quite in fashion lately, here is rather the dark, warm, dry and “living” smell of a flaming campfire, halfway Sonoma Scent Studio’s Fireside Intense and Goodsir’s Bois d’ascèse. Here in Arso, this prominent accord is wrapped into a warm resinous-amber cradle, much spicy too (cloves) on a round, sweet base on vanilla and perhaps tobacco too, a set of brownish notes creating a sense of “hot gold”, visually evocating flames indeed. Soon arises also a balsamic feel which joins the pungent note of cloves, together blending with the smoked-campfire accord (actually this balsamic note may just be a side nuance of Iso E, which this “campfire” accord is surely stuffed of). Initially this balsamic note is tamed down, while then while the scent evolves it becomes more and more prominent while other notes become weaker or drier. Thus the scent becomes colder as minutes pass, slowly becoming more green-piney and grayish, still smoky and resinous but just less “golden” than the opening phase – something like many CdG’s, just warmer and spicier. I agree with the reference to Filles en Aiguilles, as Arso basically smells like if you threw a bottle of that Lutens’ right into a chimney. Now, overall I quite like Arso; the smoky accord is well elaborated, with a thick, layered and dusty texture, ashy and dry, really woody and with a nice set of nuances from black to golden-warm. Powerful and vibrant without smelling excessively cloying. The rest is nice too, and I consider Arso a well-made and pleasant scent, much sophisticated too as you can expect from such dark-smoky type of fragrances, with just a bit too much spices in my opinion, but they soon become more quiet so not a problem (and well, who cares if that would be a problem for me eventually). Classy and more unusual than other of this “genre”. So far, the only Profumum scent worth any attention to me, although the price is completely megalomaniac.

7,5-8/10