• Launched: 2010

M information

M is a unisex fragrance by Puredistance. The scent was launched in 2010

Shop for M products online

Reviews of M

Showing 1 to 6 of 22 reviews.

ClaireV's avatar

Ireland Ireland

This stuff is strong. Every time I put a bit on from my sample, I think I haven’t applied enough so I add just a bit more, and this is always a mistake. Puredistance M seems to only gather in strength and radiance as it goes on, and just a little dab is enough to fill a room with its butch, all-guns-firing presence. It is basically a cocksure piston of a fragrance built around a central accord of rich black leather and a heavy hand of spices – woody cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, clove – all brutal, all dry as hell, all hot and heavy. Then, you begin to notice the sneaky, sweaty cumin note in the mix, jostling its way to the front, and casting a skanky feel over the whole thing. It huffs away in that spicy, hot leather lane for a long time before folding into a dry but creamy vanilla that feels like the thousand-count Egyptian cotton sheets that Donald Trump must collapse onto every night.

Having mentioned Mr. Trump, I must bring up the fact that there is a faint sleaziness to M that kind of feels like your boss breathing hotly down your neck while you are typing out his expense reports. In fact, the slight businessman-sweating-through-a-thousand-dollar-suit feel to this would make it a perfect choice for anyone who needs to project an image of male awfulness in a corporate setting. Personally, I find the slight sleaziness to be oddly sexy. I’m weird like that.

M is super-refined, luxurious and rich beyond belief. If you can believe this, it gets more beautiful and even richer as time goes on, as if layers of notes are being pasted on thickly, like oil paints onto a canvas. The phenomenal richness is undercut by a bitterness that I believe comes from the moss. It gets faintly more dry and bitter towards the end, but the sumptuous density never fades. It is here, towards the end, that you realize the sheer quality of the materials that must have been used.

And yet, and yet…..there is something rather soulless about Puredistance M. It is impressive and beautiful, yes, but when something is priced for the wallets of oligarchs only, it begins to lose some of its (imagined or real) soul. I really enjoy the hell out of wearing Puredistance M, but once my tiny (but ludicrously expensive) sample is finished, I won’t be rushing out to purchase a bigger size. There is a price threshold beyond which I simply refuse to go, and Puredistance anything, along with Roja Dove anything, are firmly on the other side of that threshold. And since Roja Dove is the ‘perfumer’ behind Puredistance M, then that is a double whammy of “My wallet and my brain say no thanks” right there. (Now, if only my nose was as resolute, we’d be ok about leaving this behind without a second glance. But my nose is kind of refusing to tow the party line.)

People often cite vintage Bel Ami and Moschino Pour Homme as substitutes – they’re kidding themselves. While M might be Roja Dove’s tribute to these great masculine classics, I have tried both the vintage and the current Bel Ami, and neither begin to approach the phenomenal richness of M. The vintage Bel Ami is great, though – bitter, spicy, ultra-masculine leather, and unfortunately a little bit too 70’s in feel (the current is more delicious and less leathery, but of course, less ‘authentic’, if that matters to you). A friend of mine calls Bel Ami a “chest toupee in a bottle”, and I think that about sums it up. The opening of Puredistance M and Bel Ami are very different, but then converge on a vaguely similar accord later on, in their heart (albeit with more transparency and simplicity in the Bel Ami). Apparently, Roja Dove’s own Fetish Pour Homme is his attempt to take M and spin it off into his own line – I wouldn't know, because, you know, it’s Roja Dove, and I refuse to go there.

22nd November, 2014

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

I believe I hit the jackpot! if you want something serious and manly this one worth at least trying!
    The opening of this fragrance is a bitter spicy scent mixed with leather note.
    The spices are heavy and they do have a very dry and wild feeling. lots of cumin, lots of nutmeg, lots of clove that they all together creating brutal spicy and kind of peppery scent.
    The leather note does not smell smoky. it's like the smell of a piece of leather in the middle of the desert in a hot summery day! very dry and slightly animalic.

In the mid I'm getting again heavy dry spices and a little stronger leather (still not smoky but it's animalic) notes but now there is some sweetness and some carnation flower beside it that gives the scent an elegant and slightly powdery feeling.

In the base those heavy spices and the leather note all settle down and the scent gets slightly sweeter. the base is a creamy sweet vanilla and musk plus soft spices specially cinnamon and some leather mostly in the background.
    Performance of this fragrance is awesome. projection is strong and longevity is around 10-12 hours on my skin. there is nothing girly here. masculine all the way through.

31st July, 2014

Taskphorce01's avatar

Extremely potent, high quality, masculine, a little goes a long way. When I apply this, I'm careful not to overspray it. One to two sprays max unless I need to go the distance (16 hour day) and then I spray it 3 times. To my nose the scent is reminiscent of smoldering cedarwood laced with a dab of cinnamon and the finest leather man can make. I own Fetish Pour Homme by Roja Dove and I will say the two are alike in the opening yet significantly different in the dry down. The price is soaring high but 17.5ml (is all you really need) and that amount should last you a long, long time.

27th May, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar

The opening is marvelous, clear, sharp, amazingly elegant and cozy. I detect patchouli, aromatic woods, cedar, vetiver, a floral accord, sweet resinous spices, cinnamon, a gorgeous leather note (soft like suede, initially) with a bold talcum-soft feel. All is aerial and dimensional, almost geometrical, at the same time plushy, silky and mellow. A lot of suggestions and images come to mind, there's an oriental vein blended with a totally contemporary Western personality. Quite complex and textured, really compact, just smelling beautiful and great like Fetish pour Homme, and also quite on the same "concept" too: basically, a renovated, modern "masculine classic", with some nostalgic fougère/chypre accords blended with a new and more modern sensibility. A tight and harmonic scent full of nuances you feel better in the sillage than on skin. What I like the most is an irresistible accord of leather, flowers (jasmine?), delicate woods (cashmeran, cedar?) and spices blended with a talcum-balsamic accord, something that just captivates me I don't know why precisely... like those scents you link to people you love, or loved. So distinguished and majestic, without being "opulent". As minutes pass a talcum cloud emerges and "explodes" in all its dreamy and narcotic dustiness, and again, a symphony of nuances, mellow woods, flowers, leather. Then it all starts to dry and the bone-structure emerges more clearly, which I said, it's quite a classic fougère/chypre texture, incredibly sophisticated, soft, mossy and velvety. As many other reviewers already noticed, a couple of scents come to mind at this point, two legendary scents to which this one almost sounds like a "tribute": Moschino pour Homme and Bel Ami. The leather accord with a talcum/floral "gentleness" is one of the best I've ever smelled, it smells really perfectly. The drydown is great as well, more bitter and dry, but well balanced, and doesn't reveal the sadly-too-usual safraleine cheapness (burnt rubber). Utter elegance. The quality is uncompromising and really high, of both materials and composition. Still, the price is completely insane and megalomaniac, and not in a way that I'd say "... but it's worth it". It's not, it's great and stuff, but it's not worth that cost. Just grab a sample and try it, then enjoy the hundreds of equally good (or better) fragrances around.

18th May, 2014

sjg3839's avatar

Tried this one yesterday at MIN NYC. Starts off with a cumin or slight civet note. Then morphs into a beautiful incense with vanilla. Beautiful fragrance. The downfall is the price. 8/10

22nd January, 2014

Scentologist's avatar

Old world elegance with modern charm

I pulled the dipstick out of the vial to take a first sniff, as I do traditionally. Smelling real close and hard, I barely was able to detect a cumin. When I put it on my skin, I must say that it was nonexistent to my nose. For those of you that don't like Yatagan or cumin, don't fret. Very well blended here. However, I had high hopes for this. It was rather linear to be so complex. If I can be frank, it reminds me of the dry down of Chypre Palatin (just remover the chypre part). It has the old world elegance with modern charm. Very smooth and warm. I really like this but must confess, I don't find it anywhere near it's high price tag, in spite of it high quality. I do like it significantly better than the MDCI scents. Projection and longevity where average on my skin.

Pros: Smooth and classy
    Cons: Overpriced, Smells similar to dry down of chypre palatin"

27th October, 2013

Add your review of M

Search for on eBay United States

Puredistance M Parfum Extrait 1 ML Glass Sample Vial
    • Listing Type: Buy it Now
    • Time Left: 27 days
    Ebay United States
    (Shipping from United States)
    Puredistance Puredistance M