La Fumée / La Fumée Classic (2011)
by Miller Harris

La Fumée / La Fumée Classic information

Year of Launch2011

HouseMiller Harris
PerfumerLyn Harris

About La Fumée / La Fumée Classic

La Fumée / La Fumée Classic is a shared / unisex perfume by Miller Harris. The scent was launched in 2011 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Lyn Harris

La Fumée / La Fumée Classic fragrance notes

Reviews of La Fumée / La Fumée Classic

Sad story alert!
Application recommendation: direct apply on skin, as it needs warmth to do the justice!

La fumee(original one as in the profile imagery, with white textbox delineating words 'la Fumee' on the box and bottle ) is always proudly on my top 5, and also the one that got me to the house 'Miller Harris' back in 2012. Still recall the evening when I was walking through the hallway to my flat following the trail my first 50 ml La fumee left in the air from the mail delivery.
I don't have that haunting 50 ml bottle with me now, but the standing out notes are scorching birch, cardamom and woodsy ashy dry incense/cedar. Rarely but it did have a dense oud feel sometimes. So intense and potent as it was that I had to use sparingly and eventually chucked under the bed!! My snap-cap Jubilation XXV did not even come head to head with La Fumee in terms of performance and complexity.
I missed it one autumn and bought the bottle in the middle which turned out to be a new packaging/reformulated bottle, I though appreciate the improved wearability and the backbone still being intact and recognizable, its enhanced cumin note is really stealing the thunder and reforming the original ethereal incensy temple vibe into a rosy human-like with BO. The rose/geranium+resin is quite uplifting and crisp, bringing the brightness and light-duty quality which the 2012 bottle lacks, however cumin and coriander seed are also there, pretty much always there like annoying neighbor kids, keep reminding of sweaty skin. The projection is good and persistent, for better or for worse, just however thinner and duller, becoming less distinctive and shying away into a crowd with Ambre Sutan or Dzongkha or Casbah or any amber/incense offering from a designer high end line.
Blind bought the Intense at TJMaxx hoping the whole series could forget about cumin all together, it did! But I can hardly say it's even more interesting than the BO infused airy ambery La fumee, it's surely weightier with the density more on incense/woods, but character is missing, just distorted La Fumee DNA with 5% decrease here and 10% increase there. A cumbersome reattempt of 2012 La Fumee, and the longevity is painful among them all!
I think my exploration with 'La Fumee series' or perhaps Miller Harris ends here with my new addition of a 100ml 2012 bottle, I don't know what has happened with the company and its past repackaging/reformulation, this 2012 bottle is not as strong or as multi-faceted as I remembered, but close, rose is muted, cumin is only discernible after hours of development, and yes it develops, I can get cold and fleeting lavender in the beginning, then cedar is smoother along with the sandalwood. Labdanum is dense like oud but balanced. Lasting power is jolly good as well, best I must say.
Anyways, all in all, I like the 50ml 2012 La Fumee the most, followed by the 100ml (left) then the reformulated La Fumee(middle). I don't care much for Intense nor do I wish to risk anymore for ''la Fumee Classic" or last-year- repackaged 'La fumee'. (again?!)
Also I have La Fumee Arabie (100ml edition) too, forgettable with miserable projection, only not as bad as gutted new Memoir Man.
Lesson learnt for me: never get too emotional and attached to one scent, as the maker clearly doesn't even have the intention to let you. Everything's got to be changed eventually!
(Good use of current cumin infused La Fumee, quite a handful sprays ON SKIN then some good rubbing of onion to where you just applied, then inhale deeply, ~ha! Any South Asian fling you used to have just floats up to your cheeky memory,uh?)
05th October, 2018
When I placed my order for this fragrance I instantly thought "Oh no what have I done". I have had the "smokey fire like" scents before and absolutely hated them. I fell for the reviews online and reveiws on youtube and I do not regret this purchase at all. I will say the first 10 minutes isn't the best for myself. It is a fire (of logs and melting plastic) and this weird "perfumey" essence... then I get the hints of cardamom, incense and frankincense mingling as the fire falls into the background. It turns into a pleasant smokey scent with some cedar, woody notes and finally the amber to add some sweetness. Overall this is a solid thumbs up but I would TRY BEFORE YOU BUY with this one. I find this to be a true unisex early on but as it dries I feel it leans masculine. Also, it is a winter fragrance IMO and a casual scent or something for the weekends. Enjoy!
16th June, 2017
It’s funny how sometimes it’s the fragrances you love and wear the most are the ones you never bother to write about. I’m on my second bottle of this elegant woods and resins concoction, and yet now when I sit down to put pen to paper, I realize I’ve never really analyzed the notes. La Fumée performs quietly in the background of your day, like smoke from incense or oud embedded in the fabric of your clothes. It starts off on a greenish frankincense note, like crushed pine needles, pepper, and lemons, and that fresh, masculine vibe continues for much of the scent.

Wafting in and out of the composition is a light smoke note from a combination of the cade and birch tar, but there is also a dry labdanum in the mix, performing its teetering act between tinder-dry paper that’s about to catch fire and liquid tar. Creamy sandalwood takes over from the piney, terpenic facets of the frankincense, nudging the scent into a faintly sweet-and-sour sweat direction. But none of that describes how easy this scent is to wear, or how pleasurable in its humming-in-the-background way. Whereas other resin scents hit you over the head, this one wears like an elegant, transparent veil that exists only at the corner of your field of vision. It’s small but perfectly formed.
08th December, 2016
The amber / incense / smoke notes are right up my alley, the scent is discrete, which is convenient for the office, yet longevity is quite good. I wear it everyday at the office these days.
11th October, 2016
Incense with a touch of dry herbs, smoke, & the subtle sweetness of amber way in the background. After a couple of hours I get something softly leathery & animalic, but otherwise this is a linear fragrance on me, fading out after around ten hours.
This puts me in mind of a softer, quieter, more smooth-edged version of Goutal's Encens Flamboyant. Very nice, but since I own a bottle of the Goutal, I won't be needing to buy.
31st May, 2016
Emoe Show all reviews
Meh
i got a sample of this as the note pyramid shouts to me. I LOVE smoky incense frags, (RBR Embers is my favourite) and really had high expectations for this.
the fragrance itself isnt bad, not at all. it is pleasant, and hits at the notes, but from a distance. Id have liked the smoky notes to really zing, and that basenote of smoky accords to beat away, but alas, its mediocre to me.
sillage is appaling on me, becomes a skin scent way way to quickly, which is a great shame.
shame, but then i cant like everything!
03rd June, 2015

NEW Miller Harris La Fumee Arabie EDP Spray 3.4oz Womens Women's Perfume

End Date: Wednesday Jan-23-2019 11:06:22 PST
Buy It Now for only: $98.80

Member images of La Fumée / La Fumée Classic

There are no member images of La Fumée / La Fumée Classic yet. Why not be the first?