Black Musk (2010)

Year of Launch2010

HouseMontale
PerfumerPierre Montale

About Black Musk

Black Musk is a shared / unisex perfume by Montale. The scent was launched in 2010 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Pierre Montale

Black Musk fragrance notes

Reviews of Black Musk

A moderately and modestly austere, dark and dusty opening, with oud, a subtle musky-skanky feel on the very base, some vanillin (a sort of really light, almost unperceivable, diffused, soft cloud of sweet talc), and a leather note surrounded by warm amber (ambroxan) and nutty-almondy notes. Shortly a sort of dry, dusty amber-dark scent à la Montale, where the dark means a synthetic and plain blend of oud-like notes, leather and musks. Not a disaster, especially for being a Montale, but surely nothing special: despite it may appear interesting and "threatening" it's actually fairly light, dull, plain, artificial - not "scary" at all and quite uninspired. Needless to say it smells like a dozen of other Montale's.

5,5/10
21st August, 2014
Black Musk Review, RichNTacoma

Too me, this is very similar to Black Aoud during the first half an hour; which for me is not a great thing. Smells very industrial, intense, and frankly not something wonderful on me. After some development, I get leather and some pepper. I am struggling with Montale so far; this one did not help hugely.

05th September, 2013
cerjr Show all reviews
Favorite Montale.

This is hand's down my favorite Montale so far. I've tried Cuir d'Arabie, Black Aoud, Dark Aoud, and probably a few others, but this one stands out. The musk is not completely dirty, and it has the traditional Montale base, but if the rose is too heavy for you in Black Aoud, this is probably the one you need to try. Love it, and it has great lasting power.

03rd August, 2013
Great variation on Black Aoud, not as brash

I am a fan of Montales, having Black Aoud, Dark Aoud, Cuir d'Arabie, Louban, and Red Aoud.  This is a variation on the Black Aoud fragrance, minus the blast of oud, being replaced by a blast of refined Musk.  There is leather also, and I like the analogy that this is a Mafia fragrance.  Not overly "masculine" but more "dangerous"  The only problem I see is that it does not quite last all day like Black/Dark Aoud does..2 or 3 spritzes will give you maybe 6 hrs.

Pros: Incredible complex scent
Cons: Longevity not quite up to Montale standards

19th May, 2013
A very interesting take on leather-musk and it has the wow factor really. It has the classic Montale start but the rose is very backstage and ceases to exist in some minutes.

What stays is a very dark and challenging leather note. This is quite a difficult fragrance to wear, but much much better and different from the rest of the vast numbers of Montales.
13th March, 2013
Like many Montale fragrances Black Musk is a challenging wear for some. It opens up with an explosion of the medicinal Montale oud house note however this didn't last too long on me before I found myself sniffing my shirt over and over to try and identify what was going on.

Black Musk is complex and is not as linear as some other Montale fragrances. I agree with comments about it being dark and futuristic. To me it had a sharpness to it with almost metallic/inky qualities.

This has huge longevity and after the initial burst of fragrance I find it stays quite close to the skin however still projects enough to have people notice how great you smell.

In a sea full of aquatics and department store "woods" you'd stand head and shoulders above the rest.
07th December, 2012

Add your review of Black Musk

Shop for Black Musk products online

Search Amazon for Black Musk

Member images of Black Musk

There are no member images of Black Musk yet. Why not be the first?