Black Musk (2010)

Year of Launch2010

HouseMontale
PerfumerPierre Montale

About Black Musk

Black Musk is a shared / unisex perfume by Montale. The scent was launched in 2010 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Pierre Montale

Black Musk fragrance notes

Reviews of Black Musk

A softer, more leathery cousin of Montale Black Aoud, Black Musk is a pleasant winter fragrance, easy to wear, that contains some of the powderiness of Van Cleef & Arpels Midnight in Paris while embodying much of the depth and intensity of Black Aoud. There's not too much else to it--it's not thrilling but it's subdued and comes back to the middle enough that I could see it being someone's, especially a man's, signature cold weather fragrance for night and/or formal events.

Priced similarly to the rest of the line (circa $100 for 100ml on BeautySpin), Black Musk strikes me as a good option for those that find Black Aoud a bit overwhelming, assuming one also likes a little leather and powder. Not as thrilling or as powerful as Black Aoud, but still very good in its own right.

7 out of 10
21st January, 2016
Montale is quickly becoming one of my favorite houses to sample fragrances from, and Black Musk may be my favorite of the line. For those that like Black Aoud or Aoud Lime but feel they're a bit too strong, heavy or challenging to wear, Black Musk may be for you.

Black Musk opens nearly identical to most of Montale's Aoud offerings, with the tradmark synthetic aoud-rose notes. After about 30 minutes, the medicinal aoud quiets and a soft leather warms it's way forward and becomes the central attraction. The leather is rich smelling but not as heavy as one might assume. In fact, it transitions to a somewhat powdery leather and rose, with the synthetic Aoud barely perceptible underneath.. The leather never overwhelms and really works complimentary to the rose. I don't detect any musk at all, so again, the name can be deceiving. Average sillage, but incredible longevity. You never feel cheated with Montale. I see Black Musk as a cold weather fragrance, and straight forward enough for the office or evening out, if you control the projection.

I'll definitely order a bottle of this one. Thumbs Up.
20th December, 2015 (last edited: 24th March, 2016)
As a proud owner of 6 Montale fragrances, BMusk was my first foray into Montale and out of the six Montale’s I own, it is my favorite. If you can imagine Black Aoud (everybody and their mother has smelled that one!) with the patchouli/aoud accord tamed and pepper, leather and musk added to the brew, you’re close to what BMusk smells like.

BMusk opens with a luxurious Aoud note mixed with black pepper & nutmeg. I’ve yet to find any note pyramid or ad-copy that says BMusk has Aoud in it but it’s in there. The pepper and nutmeg mix really well with the Aoud and the “medicine-like” quality of Aoud is transformed to something greater. Slowly the rose, leather and musk begin to unfurl. Each note delicately intertwines with another. The musk is subtle and light and always present. The leather is light too, never heavy or foreboding. When I wear BMusk, I feel elevated to another stratosphere and surrounded by an aura of greatness. Similar to the feeling I get when I wear one of my favorite fragrances – YSL Rive Gauche PH. I’m surprised BMusk isn’t more popular in the Montale stable.

A few words about longevity - it is outstanding. I spray this on a shirt before I go out for the evening and I still can smell it days later when I retrieve it from the hamper to put it in the washer. It goes through the wash/dryer cycle and I can still detect traces of BMusk.

Black Musk comes highly recommended.

08th October, 2015
A perfume of glue-sniffing addictiveness for me – combining the dry woods and patchouli accord that signifies ‘the dark’ (ooh-err) in many a Montale with a veritable blizzard of musks and sweet powders circling round a mild and civilized leather note. Black Musk feels at once completely synthetic and completely satisfying. It has richness and depth and that headcharge that comes with a perfume high. It makes me feel like I am the proud owner of a pair of turbojets, and it stimulates me into thinking carnal thoughts. That’s quite enough for me.
Spray it on in the morning and by bedtime it has turned surprisingly tender and soft – just the thing for sweet dreams.
21st August, 2015
Tested today from a 2ml sample. Sharp at first, then light (not dark for me), sweet, musk and smoke. I can also pick out leather, albeit after I read the list of ingredients. I also keep thinking of Turkish Delight, but I can't figure out how from the ingredient list. Feels oriental, exotic, unfamiliar. Like browsing round a dusty tourist shop in North Africa. Smoky, leathery, musky, sweet. Interesting to see all the different exotic wares, feeling slightly uncomfortable, and then I'm outside again. This type of scent is too exotic for me, at least at the moment. I really enjoyed my sample, like I enjoyed my holiday, but now I'm on my way home again to a cooler, greener, herbier, more traditional landscape.
It's a pleasant scent, and I got a compliment from a female colleague today too because of it, but it's not enough for me to buy a bottle. I will probably come back to it when I have more experience of musky scents. Moderate to heavy sillage and lasts about 4 hours.
August 2015
Later edit : the scent projects for 4 hours, but as a skin scent the longevity is ridiculous. 36 hours and 2 showers later, it's still there!
14th August, 2015 (last edited: 15th August, 2015)
A moderately and modestly austere, dark and dusty opening, with oud, a subtle musky-skanky feel on the very base, some vanillin (a sort of really light, almost unperceivable, diffused, soft cloud of sweet talc), and a leather note surrounded by warm amber (ambroxan) and nutty-almondy notes. Shortly a sort of dry, dusty amber-dark scent à la Montale, where the dark means a synthetic and plain blend of oud-like notes, leather and musks. Not a disaster, especially for being a Montale, but surely nothing special: despite it may appear interesting and "threatening" it's actually fairly light, dull, plain, artificial - not "scary" at all and quite uninspired. Needless to say it smells like a dozen of other Montale's.

5,5/10
21st August, 2014

Add your review of Black Musk

Shop for Black Musk products online

Search Amazon for Black Musk

Member images of Black Musk

There are no member images of Black Musk yet. Why not be the first?