Black Musk (2010)

Black Musk information

Year of Launch2010

PerfumerPierre Montale

About Black Musk

Black Musk is a shared / unisex perfume by Montale. The scent was launched in 2010 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Pierre Montale

Black Musk fragrance notes

Reviews of Black Musk

As a proud owner of 6 Montale fragrances, BMusk was my first foray into Montale and out of the six Montale’s I own, it is my favorite. If you can imagine Black Aoud (everybody and their mother has smelled that one!) with the patchouli/aoud accord tamed and pepper, leather and musk added to the brew, you’re close to what BMusk smells like.

BMusk opens with a luxurious Aoud note mixed with black pepper & nutmeg. I’ve yet to find any note pyramid or ad-copy that says BMusk has Aoud in it but it’s in there. The pepper and nutmeg mix really well with the Aoud and the “medicine-like” quality of Aoud is transformed to something greater. Slowly the rose, leather and musk begin to unfurl. Each note delicately intertwines with another. The musk is subtle and light and always present. The leather is light too, never heavy or foreboding. When I wear BMusk, I feel elevated to another stratosphere and surrounded by an aura of greatness. Similar to the feeling I get when I wear one of my favorite fragrances – YSL Rive Gauche PH. I’m surprised BMusk isn’t more popular in the Montale stable.

A few words about longevity - it is outstanding. I spray this on a shirt before I go out for the evening and I still can smell it days later when I retrieve it from the hamper to put it in the washer. It goes through the wash/dryer cycle and I can still detect traces of BMusk.

Black Musk comes highly recommended.

08th October, 2015
A perfume of glue-sniffing addictiveness for me – combining the dry woods and patchouli accord that signifies ‘the dark’ (ooh-err) in many a Montale with a veritable blizzard of musks and sweet powders circling round a mild and civilized leather note. Black Musk feels at once completely synthetic and completely satisfying. It has richness and depth and that headcharge that comes with a perfume high. It makes me feel like I am the proud owner of a pair of turbojets, and it stimulates me into thinking carnal thoughts. That’s quite enough for me.
Spray it on in the morning and by bedtime it has turned surprisingly tender and soft – just the thing for sweet dreams.
21st August, 2015
Tested today from a 2ml sample. Sharp at first, then light (not dark for me), sweet, musk and smoke. I can also pick out leather, albeit after I read the list of ingredients. I also keep thinking of Turkish Delight, but I can't figure out how from the ingredient list. Feels oriental, exotic, unfamiliar. Like browsing round a dusty tourist shop in North Africa. Smoky, leathery, musky, sweet. Interesting to see all the different exotic wares, feeling slightly uncomfortable, and then I'm outside again. This type of scent is too exotic for me, at least at the moment. I really enjoyed my sample, like I enjoyed my holiday, but now I'm on my way home again to a cooler, greener, herbier, more traditional landscape.
It's a pleasant scent, and I got a compliment from a female colleague today too because of it, but it's not enough for me to buy a bottle. I will probably come back to it when I have more experience of musky scents. Moderate to heavy sillage and lasts about 4 hours.
August 2015
Later edit : the scent projects for 4 hours, but as a skin scent the longevity is ridiculous. 36 hours and 2 showers later, it's still there!
14th August, 2015 (last edited: 15th August, 2015)
A moderately and modestly austere, dark and dusty opening, with oud, a subtle musky-skanky feel on the very base, some vanillin (a sort of really light, almost unperceivable, diffused, soft cloud of sweet talc), and a leather note surrounded by warm amber (ambroxan) and nutty-almondy notes. Shortly a sort of dry, dusty amber-dark scent à la Montale, where the dark means a synthetic and plain blend of oud-like notes, leather and musks. Not a disaster, especially for being a Montale, but surely nothing special: despite it may appear interesting and "threatening" it's actually fairly light, dull, plain, artificial - not "scary" at all and quite uninspired. Needless to say it smells like a dozen of other Montale's.

21st August, 2014
Black Musk Review, RichNTacoma

Too me, this is very similar to Black Aoud during the first half an hour; which for me is not a great thing. Smells very industrial, intense, and frankly not something wonderful on me. After some development, I get leather and some pepper. I am struggling with Montale so far; this one did not help hugely.

05th September, 2013
cerjr Show all reviews
Favorite Montale.

This is hand's down my favorite Montale so far. I've tried Cuir d'Arabie, Black Aoud, Dark Aoud, and probably a few others, but this one stands out. The musk is not completely dirty, and it has the traditional Montale base, but if the rose is too heavy for you in Black Aoud, this is probably the one you need to try. Love it, and it has great lasting power.

03rd August, 2013

Add your review of Black Musk

Shop for Black Musk products online

Search Amazon for Black Musk

Member images of Black Musk

There are no member images of Black Musk yet. Why not be the first?