Black Musk (2010)

Year of Launch2010

HouseMontale
PerfumerPierre Montale

About Black Musk

Black Musk is a shared / unisex perfume by Montale. The scent was launched in 2010 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Pierre Montale

Black Musk fragrance notes

Reviews of Black Musk

A perfume of glue-sniffing addictiveness for me – combining the dry woods and patchouli accord that signifies ‘the dark’ (ooh-err) in many a Montale with a veritable blizzard of musks and sweet powders circling round a mild and civilized leather note. Black Musk feels at once completely synthetic and completely satisfying. It has richness and depth and that headcharge that comes with a perfume high. It makes me feel like I am the proud owner of a pair of turbojets, and it stimulates me into thinking carnal thoughts. That’s quite enough for me.
Spray it on in the morning and by bedtime it has turned surprisingly tender and soft – just the thing for sweet dreams.
21st August, 2015
Tested today from a 2ml sample. Sharp at first, then light (not dark for me), sweet, musk and smoke. I can also pick out leather, albeit after I read the list of ingredients. I also keep thinking of Turkish Delight, but I can't figure out how from the ingredient list. Feels oriental, exotic, unfamiliar. Like browsing round a dusty tourist shop in North Africa. Smoky, leathery, musky, sweet. Interesting to see all the different exotic wares, feeling slightly uncomfortable, and then I'm outside again. This type of scent is too exotic for me, at least at the moment. I really enjoyed my sample, like I enjoyed my holiday, but now I'm on my way home again to a cooler, greener, herbier, more traditional landscape.
It's a pleasant scent, and I got a compliment from a female colleague today too because of it, but it's not enough for me to buy a bottle. I will probably come back to it when I have more experience of musky scents. Moderate to heavy sillage and lasts about 4 hours.
August 2015
Later edit : the scent projects for 4 hours, but as a skin scent the longevity is ridiculous. 36 hours and 2 showers later, it's still there!
14th August, 2015 (last edited: 15th August, 2015)
A moderately and modestly austere, dark and dusty opening, with oud, a subtle musky-skanky feel on the very base, some vanillin (a sort of really light, almost unperceivable, diffused, soft cloud of sweet talc), and a leather note surrounded by warm amber (ambroxan) and nutty-almondy notes. Shortly a sort of dry, dusty amber-dark scent à la Montale, where the dark means a synthetic and plain blend of oud-like notes, leather and musks. Not a disaster, especially for being a Montale, but surely nothing special: despite it may appear interesting and "threatening" it's actually fairly light, dull, plain, artificial - not "scary" at all and quite uninspired. Needless to say it smells like a dozen of other Montale's.

5,5/10
21st August, 2014
Black Musk Review, RichNTacoma

Too me, this is very similar to Black Aoud during the first half an hour; which for me is not a great thing. Smells very industrial, intense, and frankly not something wonderful on me. After some development, I get leather and some pepper. I am struggling with Montale so far; this one did not help hugely.

05th September, 2013
cerjr Show all reviews
Favorite Montale.

This is hand's down my favorite Montale so far. I've tried Cuir d'Arabie, Black Aoud, Dark Aoud, and probably a few others, but this one stands out. The musk is not completely dirty, and it has the traditional Montale base, but if the rose is too heavy for you in Black Aoud, this is probably the one you need to try. Love it, and it has great lasting power.

03rd August, 2013
Great variation on Black Aoud, not as brash

I am a fan of Montales, having Black Aoud, Dark Aoud, Cuir d'Arabie, Louban, and Red Aoud.  This is a variation on the Black Aoud fragrance, minus the blast of oud, being replaced by a blast of refined Musk.  There is leather also, and I like the analogy that this is a Mafia fragrance.  Not overly "masculine" but more "dangerous"  The only problem I see is that it does not quite last all day like Black/Dark Aoud does..2 or 3 spritzes will give you maybe 6 hrs.

Pros: Incredible complex scent
Cons: Longevity not quite up to Montale standards

19th May, 2013

Add your review of Black Musk

Shop for Black Musk products online

Search Amazon for Black Musk

Member images of Black Musk

There are no member images of Black Musk yet. Why not be the first?