1861 (2011)

• Bottle Designer: Unknown - Let us know

1861 Fragrance Notes

Shop for 1861 products online

Reviews of 1861

Showing 1 to 6 of 8 reviews.

Justin Case's avatar
    Justin Case

The opening is citrus with a strong hot green pepper presence. The green pepper soon gives way to something strongly resembling anise seed. I think it's the combination of lily of the valley and mint. The persistence of lime and patchouli in the background keeps 1861 from being completely objectionable. Still, the sharp sweet and spicy nature of this frag drives me away.

03 May, 2013

FumeHood's avatar
    FumeHood
    Brazil Brazil

I should say that I'm not huge into FRESH and CITRUS. But this fragrance, for me, is the KING of the sophisticated citrus done incredibly well, and perhaps my favorite in the Xerjoff line (which is also saying a lot - as their is plenty in the gourmand, leather, and tobacco field to be had here and THOSE are my preferred wardrobe-fillers.)

In 1861, the notes of petitgrain, bergamot, (I get a very natural lemon accord) lime, and mint are so real and sparkling without tickling the nose with anything approaching detergent citrus. I prefer this to Chanel's Exclusif Eau - which has always been a reference for cologne.

As with other citrus tops in the shooting stars line, there is MUCH more here hidden in the wings, with a warm and woody core that THANKFULLY never abandons its citrus upbringing - rather it just smooth the bright notes out. I don't get the amber, but the muscs and herbal-woods allow this to work year-around as both cool and warm scent.

Long-lasting, impressive projection, and an eternal compliment-nabber, this is THE CITRUS recipe that those crazy Italians are famous for.

Highly recommended even at their prices.

14 March, 2013

Diamondflame's avatar
    Diamondflame
    Singapore Singapore

1861 takes you to a sultry day in the Maldives on board a 50 ft yatch. The sky is a brilliant cobalt, the sea a shimmer of sapphires. The sun is merciless and your throat, parched. Behind a dark pair of shades, you spy a gorgeous bikini clad goddess sauntering over to you with a tall frosty glass of freshly squeezed citruses mixed with a lashing of orange rinds, a floral dash of grenadine, and topped with a mint leaf. She gives you a little smile as she drapes her hourglass figure over the deck chair next to you but all you could think of is a long cold sip from her glass.

Xerjoff 1861 opens with a similarly mouthwatering citrus cocktail that sings right off my skin. Nothing truly original here, just a well executed high quality eau de cologne in the style af Acqua di Parma Colonia. Projection is typical of edcs - not great - but longevity is exceptional, its citrus facet is probably one of the more tenacious ones I've encountered. I'm just glad to have 1861 in my wardrobe especially for those warm muggy days. Recalling the hot girl from the yatch doesn't hurt either.

24 February, 2013

drseid's avatar
    drseid

1861 opens with a beautiful lemon and mandarin orange mixture that starts things off on a promising note. The lemon quickly fades, but the orange remains turning into orange blossom on my skin and then in the heart notes coupling with a mint leaf. The mint is definitely present, but make no mistake, this is not about the mint, and much more about the orange with other floral- like powdery citrus notes including petitgrain in the heart supporting it. Hours later as the mandarin and its supporting florals recede a light musk and patchouli tandem takes center stage in the dry-down, melding with what remains of the orange. Projection is below average and longevity is average.

I guess I am one of only a few who have been less than impressed with Xerjoff's offerings on the whole, and 1861 adds to my list of disappointments. That is not to say that 1861 is a failure or smells bad (it doesn't), but rather it is just like too many other lesser citrus scents on the market that sell for considerably less money. The lemon in 1861 was impressive, but it was all too fleeting, leaving the mandarin and mint combo that was just a bit off to my tastes at least. If looking for a high quality Italian citrus, I could think of any number of worthy candidates costing much less that I would reach for over 1861, but one that immediately comes to mind is Acqua di Parma Colonia. In the case of 1861, I give it an "above average" rating of 2.5 to 3 out of 5 stars for its smell, but only 1.5 to 2 out of 5 for its relatively poor value proposition. Not recommended.

02 July, 2012

Scentologist's avatar
    Scentologist

Top Notes: Bergamont, Mandarin, Lime, Petitgrain

Middle Notes: Rose, Lily of the Valley, Mint

Base Notes: Cedar, Patchouli, Amber, Musk

This juice does not take the epic journey that I was expecting. It is a quiet whisper that begins speaking of wind-swept citrus fields on a sunny day. The top notes lend to a bright and zesty accord that is true to its origination in that it is very surreal and live. Taking a spray is like cutting through the fruits and the talent here is how they've maintained the character, bite, and freshness of the fruit. The appendage of the middle notes is seamless and brings a tough of greenness to the experience but somehow remains subdued as to let the top notes still shine. After thirty minutes to an hour, the real magic for me is in the dry down. Its not a brut like the notes may suggest; think of it as a clean musk accord that is fresh and whispy. I find this more wearable than something like Creed's SV, albeit that SV has superior longevity. This is fun fragrance that can be enjoyed anytime you need a pick me up, and can't be over-applied.

Longevity: 2/5

Sillage: 1/5

Thoughts: Nice and clean but no WOW factor

The Juice: To thin and whispy

Verdict: I can't justify the price based on longevity and sillage, which is mildly better than something like Hermes EDOV

04 June, 2012

Buzzlepuff's avatar
    Buzzlepuff

These are beautiful full citrus notes. Also the florals are very beautifully mixed into the perfume. The notes are: Bergamont, Mandarin, Lime, and Petitgrain, Rose, Lily of the Valley, Mint, Cedar, Patchouli, Amber and Musk. It is easy to see why people will be impressed with the quality of product in 1861.

Explosive in fullness and lavish in mixing style, the orchestration of ingredients used is thrilling with its vibrancy. But is it the right tune? No, not for me I'm afraid. This is a floral style eau de cologne with baroque flourishes that nip at your heels from their richness. Xerjoff 1861 is quality for sure; but it does not sing the right tune on me. Could it be a little too decoratively ornate? Probably not on someone else, but for what I hope to smell this is more effort needed than what I want from a fragrance.

29 April, 2012