1861 (2011)

Shop for 1861 products online

100ml EdP
    $234.62*
    100ml EdP
    (*converted from GBP 150.00)

Reviews of 1861

Showing 1 to 6 of 11 reviews.

SexySmells's avatar

The Xerjoff boutique has the listed notes as : Tangerine, Bergamot, Rose, Lily of the Valley, Mint, Amber, Patchouli and Cedar.

Quality? Yes, in spades and each note can be clearly identified in remarkable fashion. I enjoy citric openings as much as the next person, but this is tantamount to the nuance differences in regular cable and B-ray high definition.

The citrus in the top accord lasts an extraordinary length of time compared to most. It smells extravagant even for a citric opening, but this scent never gets stuffy. After some time has lapsed, a soft and unassuming menthol slides in. Like numerous other enthusiasts, I can have a difficult time with mint depending upon the implementation. This rendition is extremely deft and ( on me ), it's literally hiding behind the oncoming Lily of the Valley. I should note that I get the LOTV first, with the mint right on its coattails. The result is an extremely good accord with longevity.

Slowly, the wearings revealed soft, dusty rose, subtle hints of patchouli and woody amber. The mint is still there, even in the drydown phase, set on perfect volume like the rest of the cast. Quality to me is the totality of a composition. I have no idea what each house uses in terms of ingredient expense and I personally could care less. It either smells like a quality creation or it does not. Totality is the result of thought, effort and tinkering. Quality doesn't seem likely to be rushed........and Xerjoff 1861 smells like someone took their sweet time in finally signing off on it.

Suffice it to say that this fragrance is Italian in feel like it's supposed to be and an excellent wear. If I had 3 thumbs, they'd pointing upward.

11th March, 2015

flathorn's avatar

A nicely done cologne. The citruses are wonderful and fresh, especially the lemon, but the opening is so short-lived. You would have to spray this on right before any event for others to enjoy their beauty.
    So what of the rest of the fragrance? There is a sprightly mint note in the heart that produces a green pertness along with a cool green presence from, I believe, lily of the valley. They play well off the citruses and for a short time create a lilting quality, a green light fresh garden air, a bright song. The effect is short-lived and becomes a little more solidly mint as it ages. In the dry down, the mint melds into a pale musky wood, becoming a soft minted skin scent. All in all, very nice. But...
    Colognes being what they are, this isn't a long-lasting fragrance. I tell myself it's part of their charm because I have no choice, but to be honest their scintillating freshness always frustrates me a little, like holding a butterfly in your hand. Though lovely, it's so ephemeral... and so pricey. I just won't buy it because there are other great colognes I could apply three times as often for the same price, getting three times the pleasure, than I can 1861. But it's quite nice.

03rd February, 2015 (Last Edited: 10th March, 2015)

Johnnyacl's avatar

First Xerjoff, finally! And, guys, Im starting to see why Xerjoff is so highly praised. 1861 is an amazing fragrance, filled with quality ingredients! Yes, this is another level! 1861 gives the best quality citrus Ive come across. The opening is incredible, with a fresh citrus blast, followed by a more "feminine" area of a citrusy-floral scent. The drydown itself is very, very good.

The freshness of this fragrances is amazing and with get also a green/aromatic vibe here. Sparkling, clean, sophisticated, refiend and natural (smelling) ingredients, 1861 is indeed very well done! The woods present are also great and enrich the composition. Got compliments, also. Perfomance is really good for a citrus based fragrance.

What a great fragrance!

[B]Type/Gender:[/B] Unisex

Id say the fragrance is fairly unisex.

[b]Season and Purpose[/b]: Summer and Spring, also possibly for hot Fall days. Suitable for work, formal occasions and special occasions (during Spring and Summer).

[B]Achilles heel:[/B] Although not among the most expensive fragrances, the price is not the best.

[b]Regarding Performance:[/b]

[b]Projection:[/b] 8.10
    [b]Uniqueness:[/b] 8.20
    [b]Versatility:[/b] 8.15
    [b]--- Overall:[/b] 8.59

[b]Would I buy it?[/b] Yes!

The fragrance price is not cheap, (~$220) for 100 ml, but is worth the buying, to me!

25th September, 2014

Justin Case's avatar

The opening is citrus with a strong hot green pepper presence. The green pepper soon gives way to something strongly resembling anise seed. I think it's the combination of lily of the valley and mint. The persistence of lime and patchouli in the background keeps 1861 from being completely objectionable. Still, the sharp sweet and spicy nature of this frag drives me away.

03rd May, 2013

FumeHood's avatar

Brazil Brazil

I should say that I'm not huge into FRESH and CITRUS. But this fragrance, for me, is the KING of the sophisticated citrus done incredibly well, and perhaps my favorite in the Xerjoff line (which is also saying a lot - as their is plenty in the gourmand, leather, and tobacco field to be had here and THOSE are my preferred wardrobe-fillers.)

In 1861, the notes of petitgrain, bergamot, (I get a very natural lemon accord) lime, and mint are so real and sparkling without tickling the nose with anything approaching detergent citrus. I prefer this to Chanel's Exclusif Eau - which has always been a reference for cologne.

As with other citrus tops in the shooting stars line, there is MUCH more here hidden in the wings, with a warm and woody core that THANKFULLY never abandons its citrus upbringing - rather it just smooth the bright notes out. I don't get the amber, but the muscs and herbal-woods allow this to work year-around as both cool and warm scent.

Long-lasting, impressive projection, and an eternal compliment-nabber, this is THE CITRUS recipe that those crazy Italians are famous for.

Highly recommended even at their prices.

14th March, 2013

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

1861 takes you to a sultry day in the Maldives on board a 50 ft yatch. The sky is a brilliant cobalt, the sea a shimmer of sapphires. The sun is merciless and your throat, parched. Behind a dark pair of shades, you spy a gorgeous bikini clad goddess sauntering over to you with a tall frosty glass of freshly squeezed citruses mixed with a lashing of orange rinds, a floral dash of grenadine, and topped with a mint leaf. She gives you a little smile as she drapes her hourglass figure over the deck chair next to you but all you could think of is a long cold sip from her glass.

Xerjoff 1861 opens with a similarly mouthwatering citrus cocktail that sings right off my skin. Nothing truly original here, just a well executed high quality eau de cologne in the style af Acqua di Parma Colonia. Projection is typical of edcs - not great - but longevity is exceptional, its citrus facet is probably one of the more tenacious ones I've encountered. I'm just glad to have 1861 in my wardrobe especially for those warm muggy days. Recalling the hot girl from the yatch doesn't hurt either.

24th February, 2013

Add your review of 1861

Member images of 1861

There are no member images of 1861 yet. Why not be the first?