Shooting Stars: Kobe (2009)
by Xerjoff

Shooting Stars: Kobe information

Year of Launch2009

HouseXerjoff
PerfumerJacques Flori

About Shooting Stars: Kobe

Shooting Stars: Kobe is a masculine fragrance by Xerjoff. The scent was launched in 2009 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Jacques Flori

Shooting Stars: Kobe fragrance notes

Reviews of Shooting Stars: Kobe

Xerjoff Kobe seems to promise a lot in what I expected to be a warm-weather-leaning fragrance, especially given the multitude of notes. In actually smelling it, though, it seems relatively straightforward. It starts with a hefty dose of citrus and labdanum, quickly exposing the strong neroli heart that takes over the fragrance with a very subtle blend into some of the base notes, most of which I cannot detect, because the neroli remains so heavy, even into the dry down.

The petitgrain is the notable non-neroli contributor in the dry down, along with some of the woody notes in the base.

To its credit, Kobe is sophisticated, even restrained, perhaps, as far as a warm weather scent, and it should function well both in day and night and in formal and casual situations.

Performance seems fine, but I'm just not blown away by the scent itself, which pretty much needs to be the case with Xerjoff's pricing---in this case, $260 for 50ml on Luckyscent.

7 out of 10
05th October, 2016
Kobe is a very warm and dark neroli scent. Everything revolves around the neroli note here including notes of oud, rosewood, palisander, resins, and amber. At first sniff I thought what a rich gourmand woods scent, but the warm orange neroli floral note never departs even though it is influenced heavily by the amber and oud. How original to create a neroli oud fragrance! This is a very original, masculine and captivating fragrance - not to my taste - but I can see how many people will like it greatly. I would give it 3 of 5 stars, downgrading only because I don't enjoy the scent myself, but I can find nothing wrong with it at all other than personal taste issues. It is definitely one to try for the experience of what is possible with neroli.
15th June, 2016

Citrus and petitgrain opening. I understand that the petitgrain gives a needed longevity to the citrus, but it also weakens the purity of the citrus notes as far as I’m concerned… the opening citrus doesn’t have the citric purity that I expect from a fragrance of this price

It’s a long time before the heart notes start finding their way through the petitgrain, and I was very much looking forward to the promising wood heart notes – rosewood, resins, and oud. But I never get to enjoy the heart notes: the petitgrain is so lasting that it never loses its over reaching presence even as the light wood / oud accord struggle to pierce through. By the time the base shows up, I’m too bored to care (it’s rather sweet).

I agree that the petitgrain weakens the quality of the fragrance. I have to admit, though, that the citrus opening does have excellent longevity, so, for someone who does manage to enjoy the opening, it may have been a good decision to overdo the petitgrain. Even though Kobe strikes me as a quality, competent fragrance, there are many, many oud offerings that deliver better and more.
17th February, 2016
A fine offering based on a neroli and petitgrain pairing, crisp and lucid. Whereas when the focus is firmly on neroli it can get a bit high-pitched and shrill, petitgrain brings a range of citrusy, woody and faintly green tones, providing body without compromising on the freshness. Of course there is discreet support from citruses and balmy resins in the background, and a bit of tonka softness in the drydown.
An elegant, sprightly thing, but the fact remains that, despite its excellent longevity, olfactorily this is in cologne territory. Xerjoff’s pricing is not.
20th August, 2014
Wow....This opens with a spectacular gorgeous neroli note that is citrus fresh and a little bit creamy.

After a while it gets a little sweeter with a vanilla like smell. Eventually this develops into a cookie dough like smell within the main neroli accord. It does seem a little out of place but the scent is so beautiful it hardly matters.

As time moves forward the scent also develops a woody aroma within the blend.

To sum up a breathtaking neroli fragrance that gets sweeter and a little woodier as time progresses. A must try fragrance!

03rd June, 2014
Kobe seems to be based on a very traditional citrus Eau formula (imagine ADP Colonia or Eau de Hadrien) of bergamot, citrus, and herbs over orange flowers and petitgrain. Personally, I like Kobe less than many of its brethren, largely because it focuses so heavily on the petitgrain. Petitgrain is a really rough smell, scratchy and standoffish, and Kobe fixes this by immersing it in powdery soap at first, and eventually in marshmallowy vanilla. Kobe also features the floral mix of orange blossom and neroli more than the citrus itself - it's odd, I usually like a good orange floral, but the upfront petitgrain makes the flowers kind of oily and waxy, so I'm just not enjoying this.

I don't have the heart to give Kobe a thumbs down - aside from the stupid marshmallow smell at the end, it doesn't really do anything terrible, but I just don't like it. I'll happily stick to CDG's Citrico, which is my go-to Eau...
04th May, 2014

Add your review of Shooting Stars: Kobe

Shop for Shooting Stars: Kobe products online

Search Amazon for Shooting Stars: Kobe

Member images of Shooting Stars: Kobe

There are no member images of Shooting Stars: Kobe yet. Why not be the first?