Granville (2010)
    by Christian Dior

Granville Fragrance Notes

Granville information

The House where Christian Dior spent his childhood is located in Granville, in the Normandy region. François Démachy said "I wanted to create a fragrance that was not only aromatic, since the property is overflowing with pine trees, but also very sharp and extremely fresh, to evoke the wind gusts and the waves that perpetually strike the rocks. In Granville, nature is all but calm. This fragrance is the scent of the wind that blows there."

Reviews of Granville

Showing 1 to of 6 reviews.
    positive 4 Positive Reviewsneutral2 Neutral Reviewsnegative No Negative Reviews

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Update -- I've finally acquired a bottle. I love it. It has a marvelous lemon-pine opening, quite a bit like Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet. It is a refreshing, outdoorsy sort of scent. It develops into a scent which is more herbal (esp. thyme) and mossy than BB. It is very satisfying and wears very well with incredible longevity -- more than 12 hours on my skin. My one wish is that the pine lasted longer, but pine notes are notoriously short-lived in many cases.
    --- earlier review below ---
    This has a lovely Eau de Cologne opening: gorgeous citrus-herb clouds envelope you. Then, it develops into a very very high-class (even elegant) Pino Silvestre -- sturdy herbal notes with a hint of conifer. It suggests garrigue, scrubland, gorse, earth. I think the conifer notes could be even more prominent, but perhaps they are to be found in the invigorating, brisk aspects. There are hints of black pepper. A quietly assertive and satisfying scent. It is very dry. At times the scent suggests SMN Broom/Ginestre, at other times CdG Laurel, at other times a rosemary/mint combo.

21st August, 2012 (Last Edited: 27 November, 2012)

Mrnybluesman's avatar
    Mrnybluesman

Granville...Christian Dior.

The opening grabs you and makes you pay attention. The problem for me came in when the pine grew in stature. It is a well made scent with what seems to be top notch ingredients. It is just a bit too "green" for me. I give it a "thumbs up" because while it is not for me, it is well done and interesting. There is a place for this scent for people who enjoy this genre.

Projection and longevity seem fine on my skin.

14 August, 2012

dollars&scents's avatar
    dollars&scents

Granville by Christian Dior - One is initially treated to a zesty, citric accord. Tangy lemon and orangey mandarin interplay with pungent, savory thyme. This burst of briskness transitions to the heart. Here, the invigorating opening is enveloped by camphoraceous rosemary, with its green, menthol aspect. And, a chaparral, some might say garrigue, aura, with its motley assemblage of sagebrush, cypress, juniper and sage, infuses its pungently aromatic and slightly foul, skunk-like aspect. A whisper of resinous pine flutters about. Segueing to the enhancing base, lively black pepper, with its tingling, woody spiciness, commingles with a smooth sandalwood and a dank, earthy, oakmoss. A stock drydown ensues. Albeit there is no doubt that quality ingredients were used, this composition is nonetheless stale. It definitely leans to the masculine side, and has average projection and longevity.

15 March, 2012

drseid's avatar
    drseid

Granville starts off with an incredible herbal citrus mixture that resembles the opening of the great Acqua di Parma Colonia. It then adds pine to that classic Eau de cologne blend and the result is just sublime. If the scent could hold this mixture together throughout, it would be an easy buy for me... Alas it is just not meant to be. On skin, the scent quickly moves to a heart that says "rubber cement" to me... In actuality, it is kind of a menthol/eucalyptus scent. Whatever it is, it ruins the experience for me and completely seems out of place. Longevity is excellent and projection average. The top notes get a big thumbs up, the dry down a big thumbs down... So my bottom line rating is a neutral at 2.5 stars out of 5. What a shame.

28 February, 2012 (Last Edited: 21st December, 2012)

autumngleeman's avatar
    autumngleeman

the opening is a very pleasant aromatic blast of cool citruses (especially lemon) and thyme. As this part fades, the pine and herbs grow in prominence and eventually dominate the scent. There is a menthol quality to the middle portion and drydown; it feels like a menthylated and natural smelling lemon with pine. Imagine this mixed with soft pine and herbs (rosemary and thyme) with a VERY slight woods and oakmoss base and you have the complete idea of Granville. Every note smells of high quality and I would think Creed fans would like it especially (had I not been told, I would have guessed the first sample I tried was a new Creed). To be precise, I would say it bares a resemblence to the Creed aesthetic somewhat. Anyway, I bought a bottle immediately and I am very happy. This is a wonderful and light spring/early summer pine scent. Longevity and sillage are pretty good. I would say it strikes me as a straight unisex.

20th February, 2012 (Last Edited: 29 February, 2012)

alfarom's avatar
    alfarom

An high-end version of Pino Silvestre aimed to the ladies (well, sort of).

I've to admit the above sentence may sound disencouraging to someone but let me say Granville is terrific. It's a classy herbal/citrus with resinous undertones that opens with a sparkling lemon joined by leafy green citruses. In this phase it may somehow bring to mind of classic Eau De Cologne type of stuff but when you're just about to dismiss it because of this, pine and some culinary herbs (thyme and rosemary) join the party leading the fragrance to other territories. Slightly minty (menthol), bitter, dark green and much closer to Pino Silvestre than to an EDC.

That being said, Granville is not exactly up my alley, but if you're into bright piney fragrances this is an extremely solid option. Originally aimed to the ladies but definitely more masculine.

16 February, 2012