Granville (2010)

HouseChristian Dior
PerfumerFrançois Demachy
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About Granville

The House where Christian Dior spent his childhood is located in Granville, in the Normandy region. François Démachy said "I wanted to create a fragrance that was not only aromatic, since the property is overflowing with pine trees, but also very sharp and extremely fresh, to evoke the wind gusts and the waves that perpetually strike the rocks. In Granville, nature is all but calm. This fragrance is the scent of the wind that blows there."

Granville fragrance notes

Reviews of Granville

This initially seem s like like a supercharged cologne - lemony, green, dry, herby, and has some woody depth. But it's more than that. I love the feeling of pine woods it evokes. I think it may be close to my imprinted dream of French citrussy freshness and herbiness (with zero 'marine' stuff). I find it puts me in mind of soda water fizzing on rock at the beach - something almost limestony if such a thing could be smelled.

I wore it today on a hot sunny day locked up at work with stress and nonsense and it made the day brighter. It has very good staying power for something so citrussy, plenty of herbs (thyme) and spice (pepper) and it never goes into that oversweet verbena territory that many initially promising fresh scents often do.

I really like this - it's just complex enough and magically cooling. It is utterly, utterly French and is supposed to evoke the wind and pine of the Manche coast around Granville. As a child I used to stay very near Granville in the summers, but this doesn't really remind me of that coast in wind and seaside terms - maybe my standards for windswept coastlines are too high (as I was brought up near the dramatic and truly windswept Atlantic coast of the west of Ireland). However the pine and Frenchness of it are spot on.
24th May, 2017
I'm not a big fan of pine notes. I guess I have too many childhood memories of pine air fresheners and scented cleaners that associate a cheap, overly accessible scent. And while Granville leads with pine, the supporting notes of lemon, herbs (rosemary/thyme/mint) and soft woods transform it into something wonderfully fresh and inviting.

I really enjoy Diptyque Hesperides, which was my very affordable version of Granville before I even knew it. But after discovering Dior discontinued it, I decided it was time to explore this fragrance. Longevity is rather like an EDC than an EDT, so one may find reapplying is necessary. I don't mind that, because not every fragrance has to be a powerhouse or bold enough to last 24 hours. This is something very office safe and yet, different from so many other fragrances. It comes somewhat close to being "mouthwash scent", but stops just short of it. A little more mint and it would smell terribly cheap. Ironically, retail prices are rather high for what you get, but it isn't the most popular fragrance from Dior's Couturier Collection so slightly used bottles can be had for very decent discounts. Get it before it starts becoming scarce!

Fragrance 8.1 / Value 7
06th April, 2017
Granville is a fresh, woody, herbal, slightly spicy mix that reminds me of a traditional men's cologne along the lines of Dior Eau Sauvage or Chanel Pour Monsieur, though certainly it's quite different from both in actual smell. It nonetheless occupies an intersection of fresh and woody aromatic, a nice combination of lemon, pine, pepper, and sandalwood. It's not sweet at all, either. Performance is decent--moderate projection and longevity.

Work-safe and year-round wearable, versatility might be one of Granville's strongest attributes. It's agreeable,
To me, it's akin to Bois D'Argent in that it's very agreeable but nonetheless just a "like" not a "love," especially considering the price (standard Privee pricing of $210 for 125ml). I would certainly wear it if I had it but I probably wouldn't buy it apart from the sample I have.

Definitely worth trying--this could be a signature scent, especially for men.

7 out of 10
03rd August, 2016
I got a good sized sample of this since it's supposed to be a pine fragrance. Disappointment once again. This is a "tyme" bomb. Far too herbal/medicinal for my taste. As Odysseusm said, this has a very similar opening to Blenheim Bouquet, but seems a little better made. I got some very strange scents from Granville, from mouthwash to corn chips. Just subtle little whiffs that seemed to bring weird olfactory waking dreams. There is a certain sense of freshness to Granville, from the herb quality it has, but it's not one I enjoy. If you like rubbing herbs like tyme and rosemary all over your skin, then you'll love Granville. Longevity was only 4.5 hours for me, and sillage was only about 2 hours. I'm still searching for the pine notes as well.
13th May, 2016
A dry, stark and austere fragrance.

Granville is an aromatic green composition centred around pine. It heavily borrows from Blenheim Bouquet. It's more herbal and has a bit more of the spices. The initial citric burst of lemon is deceptive. Briefly the composition turns piney with some herbal elements. Thereafter it is quite relentless in its green character, and quite linear. It is bitter, medicinal, formal and somewhat unisex with moderate sillage and longevity.

Personally I feel it misses a supporting cast. Even though it is deep, it mostly has a single facet, and in this case it is intriguing but not that compelling. Any hint of sweetness or a touch of incense or a mild accent of patchouli would have provided an interesting contrast. Instead its dry, bitter, green apporach is uncompromising. It is also outdoorsy, evocative of vast open greeneries, and cool, cloudy days spent wandering about in the woods, not without a sense of wonder. The palette is mostly shades of green, yet the painting board has some blank, abstract spaces to let imagination complete the story.

A weak thumbs up.

3.5/5
17th April, 2016
Classical, elegant, angular and cool.

Granville is a crisp, cool, slightly bitter, lemon, herb and pine fragrance in the Eau De Cologne style. Sparkling with light but also with bitter green shadows. Granville opens with sharp citrus and cool green notes. There is rosemary but the herb accord is dominated by a very realistic culinary thyme note as others have said. The fragrance is aromatic and dry. As it develops and the wood comes through I find that there is an airy, salty quality to Granville. There is also a mossiness in the drydown. Granville has something of Eau Suavage , (the old one, from my memory,) and it is also very reminiscent of Blenheim Bouquet.

13th April, 2016

Add your review of Granville

Shop for Granville products online

Search Amazon for Granville

Member images of Granville

There are no member images of Granville yet. Why not be the first?

Features relating to Granville