Vikt (2009)

Year of Launch2009

HouseSlumberhouse
PerfumerJosh Lobb

About Vikt

Vikt is a masculine fragrance by Slumberhouse. The scent was launched in 2009 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Josh Lobb

Vikt fragrance notes

Reviews of Vikt

Love at first sniff!!! What an amazing fragrance! The main accord is a wonderful anise/licorice note that is the perfect level of spicy hotness, incredible! This is blended so wonderfully with balsamic and conifer notes that bring a dusky mellowness, while heightening the clear, piercing nature of the anise and the conifer at the same time. Brilliant blending and execution in my opinion. I love Rive Gauche Pour Homme, but the star anise note is very piercing in RGPH. In Vikt, it is perfectly balanced. This has moved way up my personal faves list! There is a slight hay like note in the early development of Vikt that isn't problematic for me, and was only slightly noticeable for a while. I don't smell it now at 7 hours in since application. I just realized that there is something about Vikt that reminds me of Noir Anthracite by TF. Interesting. Vikt became a skin scent on me at about the 5 hour mark, but the longevity was excellent, and I was still enjoying it 14 hours after application. This is my first wearing, so I'm looking forward to more opportunities to enjoy this excellent fragrance. Thumbs way up for Vikt!
22nd March, 2018
Projects like a 10 million candle spotlight. Hot, spicy, hot, burny, hot...
17th May, 2016 (last edited: 16th May, 2016)
“On candystripe legs the spiderman comes
Softly through the shadow of the blissfully dead
Looking for the victim shivering in bed
Searching out fear in the gathering gloom
Suddenly!
A movement in the corner of the room!
And there is nothing I can do
When I realise with fright that
The spiderman is having me for dinner tonight”

I walk in silence in this land that I do not know, exotic sensations of turmeric and Indian spices greet me on the edge of a border that I did not know, this land is called Kere. I already know that I'll stop here, maybe it will be my death or the fate of this new frontier.
Before crossing that limit, I sit for a moment on the grass and I light up a slow cigar, it was hand-made with leaves of the eternal Norne. I drink two drops of the last whisky I bought in the smoked land of Baque.
I am waiting for this cigar to clarify my ideas, while white flowers (known as white Greev) are diverting the tired smell of my sweat to more comfortable scenarios.
I go, finally.
White sheets are hung out to dry and the hot wind by Eki relaxes the journey of my eyes.
A woman gives me an aromatic food that looks like a pear but it actually is an olive "This is the fruit of the gardens of Rume, the Goddess celebrated on the holy green day of cinnamon…" she smiles and disappears.
A distillery invites me to enter. An old man presents his productions. He has already figured out that I wrote my story in alcool.
It speaks about Sova, a distillate product from the feathers of a bird I do not know. It speaks about Jeke, a kind of liquor made from bitter herbs I do not know.
He asks me where I come from.
"I come from Vikt!" I say.
"Then you're the man of the dream! The man who sleeps! Come on, we've been waiting you, your house is ready."
I do not know what he speaks about, and I do not know what he means, but my eyes are already closed. And in this house of sleep and dream, I'm still living from that day, and in this house I'm staying and I dream to die and I dream to stay and I dream to die and I dream to stay...

This reviewer may have conflicts of interest

07th May, 2015 (last edited: 08th May, 2015)

Advertised as a “dark rich sap.” Slumberhouse says of Vikt: “Dark balsamic woods slowly oozing sweet metallic oils – motions of soft smokey black agar woods through syrupy bronze resins. Incredibly deep & well rounded fragrance with a mellow darkness at its heart.”

The reason I quote the product description of Vikt is that, for probably the first time in my reviewing of 2000+ fragrances, the fragrance company, Slumberhouse, delivers, in spades, exactly what they say they are delivering. The fragrance is dark, balsamically smoky, oudy, and resinous. It is well rounded, metallic and boasts a certain mellow darkness –I don’t need to review it, you can trust Slumberhouse’s blurb.

Actually Vikt is too syrupy-dark (I could take either one but not both) for me, so I would have personally been voting a neutral, but the fact that the company has delivered precisely what they said they would and it is an unquestionably dramatic and creative fragrance… Well, Slumberhouse has me uber impressed. This fragrance is anything but a compromise with the bean counters and/or the marketing departments. This is love-it and/or hate-it creativity. Vikt is what I wish more “niche” purveyors would be about.

10th March, 2015
Interesting. Yes, Vikt has licorice, but there's just as much fennel (the natural-smelling green kind with a distinct onion undertone). There's also a complex boozy sweet syrupy red berry smell. It starts off fairly distinct - the individual notes are fairly separated - but with time the edges wear off and it forms a cohesive whole. I like this stage better (the onion-ness of the fennel with the strong sharpness of the licorice isn't particularly pleasant) because it smells weird, but much more well thought out. At that point, it pretty much just wears on, eventually fading far enough to reveal a galbanum-smelling base. I can't imagine wearing this as a signature scent, and I have other go-to's that I enjoy more when I want something clever and different, so I'm not really loving Vikt, but its creativity is worth at least a neutral rating.
28th January, 2015
I am not sure why, but I am very drawn to Vikt. Technically, I know I shouldn't be, because the opening notes are of a harsh and pungent black licorice, the likes of which I wouldn't normally put anywhere near my tongue let alone my nose. In fact, the licorice here reminds me of that salty kind that Scandinavians love, which my Danish stepmother gave me once and I promptly spat out, causing hours' worth of huffy sulking, tears and apologies. Piling worse on bad, there is distinct smell of something animalic, and not the cozy castoreum and civet type of animalics I usually love, but rather the folded-away-wet smell of a kitchen jiffy cloth that hasn't been rinsed out since its last go around the kitchen table. It smells moldy and more than a little objectionable.

But then, the truly horrific opening notes dissipate (and much more quickly than in other Slumberhouse scents) and it dries down to a heart that is green-resinous with bay leaf and slightly soapy / animalic in the vein of none other than Chanel's Cuir de Russie and the more recent Maai by Bogue Profumo. There is a hum of something dark and woody at the base, but the scent is mostly this resinous, soapy leather accord that I find deeply attractive and pleasurable to wear. There is something creamy or balsamic about the woods, soap, and leather here too, which contrasts nicely with the sharper herbal bay leaf. I am not sure when I last smelled something as horrific at the start dry down to something as sublime, and in such a short amount of time too. The only thing I've found about this is that it is not as dense or as long-lasting as the other Slumberhouse scents, which I put down to the lack of the black, sticky tar and oil notes Josh seems to use with more free abandon elsewhere. Vikt strikes me as being a very spare composition, but powerful and complex nonetheless. It just doesn't last as long as the others, is all.

Overall, this and Sova are the two standouts from Slumberhouse for me, with Norne following only a short distance behind. Like I said at the beginning, Vikt surprised me because it went from a scrubber (on me) to absolutely divine in the space of about an hour. Two thumbs up!
19th August, 2014

Add your review of Vikt

Shop for Vikt products online

Member images of Vikt

There are no member images of Vikt yet. Why not be the first?