Fareb (2010)

HouseHuitième Art
PerfumerPierre Guillaume
Parent CompanyPierre Guillaume Diffusion

About Fareb

Fareb is a shared / unisex perfume by Huitième Art. The scent was launched in 2010 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Pierre Guillaume

Fareb fragrance notes

Reviews of Fareb

A decent take on immortelle and baking spices. Good, with decent performance, but suffers by comparison with the only other immortelle scent I have tried, Dior's wonderful and discontinued Eau Noire. The latter had that coffee vibe that pulled it out of the ordinary. Fareb needs something similar, more of a backbone. It began to annoy me late in the day that this component wasn't there - but I'll commend it for the fact that it lasted long and strong enough for me to make that judgement. Just a little linear for my liking.
12th September, 2017
I get several kinds of cumin in this one. First the cumin is boozy, absinthe-like. Then it mixes with something like cardamome, and smells like bold, real and simple cumin. It evolves with some sour, fruity notes and gives some curry smell. Nothing sweet, just spicy gourmand. I get the woody cumin next, and it ends with powdery cumin.
Longevity is very good, you get different versions of the main smell all the way, but sillage is low.
Ah, and I gave it to a male friend. I don't find it feminine. But I love smelling it on him.
07th January, 2017
Strong in smell yet weak in build, Fareb reminds me of an early draft of Fate Man even though Fareb came first. I’d describe this scent as a cumin-infused cedar over semi-oriental candy notes with a rough, dry edge to it (think Les Nez’s Lion). Vague florals (powdery iris) and fruits (raisin-esque) add ornament, yet the scent remains dry and even a bit shrill. There’s a savory, curried feel to the whole thing, but after 30 minutes it becomes a dull sugary, lip-sticky base. Not bad, but not great either. I’d check out El Attarine or Fate Man for more successful takes on the same style.
27th October, 2015
Fareb is an unexpectedly (for me) powerful bomb by Pierre Guillaume, basically an immortelle powerhouse with smoky and woody notes – I miss the leather, to be honest. I say "unexpectedly" powerful because all the other scents I tried made by this nose were fairly lighter, this was quite a surprise, like when you listen to a record and one of the tracks has been mastered to a louder volume, so you rush lowering the volume. Anyway, in Fareb you have this central, monolithic wrap-up of immortelle surrounded by spices, resins and woody notes, allegedly leather too but I don't smell it at any point. The general feel is sweet, almost candied (there's ginger), with pollen notes, a brownish fog, earth and roots. There is indeed a similarity with 1740 by Histoires de Parfums, whereas the latter is darker, richer, and more boozy-tobacco. Fareb is more "organic" in a way, more earthy, simple, and brighter. Although it's a bit linear and as I said, quite loud for a while, it's surely a deal if you like the notes, notably immortelle: it's bold, dense, substantial, well built and deadly persistent – almost haunting after a while.

7,5-8/10
08th October, 2014
Fareb stands for: frais, aromatique, resineux, epice et boise (fresh, aromatic, resinous, spicy and woody) and for once, they didn't dream up the notes in a marketing ivory tower someplace, as I think that pretty much covers the reality of the fragrance. It features two new phyto-perfumery extracts of bois d'immortelle and ginseng. It comes across as dry spicy to me, and cumin is a big player in this one.
First up, I don't tend to think of cumin as sexy or skanky. On me, it bypasses all the erogenous receptors and goes straight to armpits. Usually armpit hell. In this fragrance, it smells like cumin the spice. No armpits (or whatever people are smelling). I got my sample on Surrender To Chance and they called it wonderfully skanky - bummer, this one doesn't smell skanky to me. I guess I just don't 'get' cumin, or get it all wrong.
It smells kind of freshly spicy, woody, leathery, with a large fresh cumin presence. I like it. It's intriguing, and, okay, maybe the cumin wafts in and out of sexiness. Possibly. But it may be the woody leather vibe as much as cumin. A thumbs up.
17th July, 2012 (last edited: 06th December, 2013)
Spicy, but in a distinctly perfumey way, like spices somehow liquefied into a syrup. I guess that's the immortelle's doing - it tends to be syrupy-sweet. It also reminds me a bit of the distinct medicinal sweetness of myrrh. Fareb is a "boozy" scent, like Idole or Aomassai or various stuff from Nez à Nez. I don't get the other reviewers' description of it as dry - all the potentially dry notes like spices and woods are liquefied into that boozy syrup. I think of it as a gourmandy oriental - not gourmandy as in sweets, vanilla or chocolate, but gourmandy as in simmering spices, mulled wine and fruity liquors. If you like immortelle you'll probably like it and if you like orientals it's worth a shot.
13th March, 2012

Add your review of Fareb

Shop for Fareb products online

Search Amazon for Fareb

Member images of Fareb

There are no member images of Fareb yet. Why not be the first?