New Look 1947 (2010)

PerfumerFrançois Demachy
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About New Look 1947

François Demachy:

The New Look femininity often inspires me. I wanted to compose a perfume in which rose and jasmine unfurled, like a skirt with an outrageous quantity of fabric and a narrow, slender waist. Heady Tuberose fully expresses this whirling vivacity.

Reviews of New Look 1947

This is one I only discovered because of a free sample I received with a purchase and I'm glad I did. It is one of the scents that made me rethink my dislike for tuberose (turns out I love it).

This, to my nose, is a good humoured, sophisticated, well-behaved lemony tuberose; its more sleazy and heady aspects neatly covered by a fine dusting of powder. Underneath the prim and proper exterior lies a balmy, almost resinous warmth of vanilla and benzoin, which keeps the scent from turning too preppy or icy. At times this warm base reminds me of Ormonde Jayne's Tolu.

In my line up of tuberose scents, this is the most well manicured one; one you can take home to meet the parents, shall we say. It's also one of the few tuberoses that works better in colder weather.

13th January, 2020
The early stages and mid of this are nice and can smell like a men's version of 31 Rue Cambon. Into the base, it loses some luster, and smells like a less-inspired version of Dior Homme Intense.

Thinking back on what I wrote above, and on Darvant's review, I like the quiet confidence of the base of New Look 1947. As we speak, it has survived the discontinuations of several from early in this line. It's slightly daring, but careful not to offend.
07th July, 2018 (last edited: 14th October, 2019)
I'm a man and this may be my favorite of the privee line (perhaps a toss up with Mitzah). It's a very good creamy floral. I'd say it's about 60% creamy and 40% floral.

I get a feminine vibe whilst wearing it, but it's definitely a unisex perfume. If I could afford a full bottle, I'd buy two.
11th August, 2016
Beautiful jasmine and iris with a rose touch. Feminine, but I would wear this in a few situations. Beautiful fragrance. Another beauty in the privee collection. 8.5/10
17th March, 2015
Dior New Look 1947 is an "immaculate" floral vanillic with a dominant tuberose-jasmine-ylang/ylang accord. Yes, balmy (somewhat creamy), delicate and spicy. The Francois Demachy's creation smells like a balmy-floral skin moisturizing foam (with a touch of rosey "neutrality") combined with the feminine organic warmth. Really sensual and intimate. Finally the tuberose seems to be dominant (despite a yet considerable jasmine), the white sandalwood rises up and a touch of "Allure" seems lingering in the air. A beautiful scent anyway not enough temperamental to be a masterpiece. No more to add.
08th December, 2014
This was another surprise sample sent to me by a kind fellow perfumista. This is unmistakably the child of classic French perfumery. It shares its heritage with earlier Diors, characterized by quality ingredients and sophisticated style. This is one of those perfumes that makes an impression. It's on the dry side of floral, with perhaps the iris softening the impact of both ylang and tuberose.

The tuberose is the dominant note, however, it is tempered with other notes that save it from being a sillage monster. Tuberose can be overwhelming to wear, especially in very warm weather. New Look projects, but not loudly. I have had it on for about an hour and it is still very detectable, though softly so. I spritzed a very tiny bit onto the back of my hand, so a proper spray from a full bottle would no doubt not need refreshing during a day's wearing.

Overall, a sophisticated, memorable perfume for someone who wants something distinctive, with style though not sweet or too young. The woman who will wear this is confident, experienced, with an understated style of her own. If that is you, and you are looking for something that is individual, stylish and smells 'expensive' then do try it.

Unfortunately for me, white flowers have never been my thing. I can admire the craft in this one, though it doesn't tug at my heartstrings.
14th December, 2013

NEW LOOK 1947 by CHRISTIAN DIOR 125ml/4.2oz ***BRAND NEW***

End Date: Friday Jan-24-2020 16:05:47 PST
Buy It Now for only: $299.99
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

CHRISTIAN DIOR NEW LOOK 1947 450ml 15.2oz Eau De Parfum NEW NO BOX - SPLASH RARE

End Date: Sunday Jan-26-2020 10:34:04 PST

Christian Dior NEW LOOK 1947 Eau De parfum Spray 4.2 oz/ 120 ml Sealed

$295.00 (0 Bids)
End Date: Monday Jan-27-2020 15:26:39 PST
Bid now | Add to watch list

CHRISTIAN DIOR NEW LOOK 1947 4.2oz New Sealed Box.

End Date: Thursday Jan-30-2020 5:16:44 PST

Dior New Look 1947 By Christian Dior Eau De Parfum .25 Oz Mini

End Date: Sunday Feb-2-2020 15:52:17 PST
Buy It Now for only: $33.00
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

CHRISTIAN DIOR NEW LOOK 1947 4.2oz Box.

End Date: Monday Feb-3-2020 16:27:54 PST
Buy It Now for only: $152.88

Christian Dior - New Look 1947 - 5ml SAMPLE Decant Glass Atomizer

End Date: Monday Feb-3-2020 16:47:42 PST
Buy It Now for only: $15.21
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Christian Dior La Privee Collection New Look 1947 250ml/8.4oz NEW RARE 2010 YEAR

End Date: Wednesday Feb-5-2020 4:48:13 PST

Christian Dior NEW LOOK 1947 Eau De parfum Spray 4.2 oz Sealed

End Date: Thursday Feb-6-2020 15:47:19 PST
Buy It Now for only: $226.99

Member images of New Look 1947

There are no member images of New Look 1947 yet. Why not be the first?