Vétiver (2010)

Year of Launch2010

HouseChristian Dior
PerfumerFrançois Demachy

About Vétiver

Vétiver is a masculine fragrance by Christian Dior. The scent was launched in 2010 and the fragrance was created by perfumer François Demachy

Reviews of Vétiver

Initial spray gave me a nice blast of citrus and vetiver (quality vetiver). Pretty linear for about an hour or so then you get a coffee hit out of nowhere. Caught me off-guard. Strange mixture but I like this one. 8/10
13th March, 2015
One of the best vetivers I've ever smelled...in fact, probably one of my favorite scents I own. I don't know how to describe it more in depth, other than to say it's different than any other vetiver I own. So sad it's discontinued.
11th March, 2015
Thanks, foetidus, for your second-paragraph, reflective, appreciation. That gives me hope for the drydown.

The more I smelled DV in its 5mL decant, the more floral it became. I had to apply some quickly just to give the fragrance a fair chance. It's still sweeter than I would prefer and lavender is just not my favorite note in a fragrance (though I love it in the original). As for coffee and grapefruit, well, it seems the copywriters were given the first draft of the first brainstormed concept of the frag.

Though I may wear this vetiver little, I'm still glad I've got it because, having enjoyed Cuir Cannage for a few weeks, I now have a sense of Dior's exclusive line.
19th September, 2014
Vetiver opens with a very strong violet. The violet is sweet and very floral, not anything close to grapefruit or coffee. It reminds me an awful lot of Burberry Touch, which I strongly disliked.

Vetiver eventually becomes more bitter, more dried grass that is quite pleasant, but that doesn't make up for the weak opening.
13th August, 2014

Not the usual vetiver scent – especially in the sense that it has notes in it that dominate more than vetiver does. Unlike some other reviewers, I don’t get much, if any, citrus in the opening – I get mostly lavender. After the lavender settles down, I get leather. It’s not a strong leather, it’s not even annoying to me as most leathers are… still it overwhelms most of vetiver that is present. I do get a soft, grassy vetiver note as a background note through most of the fragrance, but the primary impact of this fragrance comes across to me as a dull, uninspired lavender / leather fragrance. To be fair, I have to say that my dislike of the accord has nothing to do with the quality of the lavender or leather – the quality is fine. My reaction to this does not surprise me – I have had problems with most of Dior’s exclusive line.

In spite of my dislike of the particular notes of Dior’s Vétiver, I must say that when the dominant lavender and leather accords tone down, it becomes a subtle, elegant, more-than-skin-scent that is quite catching and extremely easy to live with. It’s a quality fragrance.
11th March, 2014
I bought this blind after reading various reviews and I was immediately let down. First, where was this blast of citrus everyone seems to talk about. Citrus scents were my go to for a very long time after some very unfortunate fragrance purchases, so I generally feel confident that I know what citrus smells like in a fragrance. Artek by CDG, for instance…now there’s blast of citrus. If you’re not careful, it’s like walking into a lemonade firehose. Consequently, with my mind closed the way it was when I first sprayed it on, I dismissed it because it wasn’t what I was expecting.

Fast-forward a little bit of time and some considerable fragrance experimentation, I took Vetiver off the shelf and tried it again. My first realization is that I should not have simply expected lemon or bergamot at the beginning. Of course, grapefruit is a citrus as well. With that box checked off, I began to appreciate the peppery note that vacillates through the entire dry down. The constant is that fresh grassy note that reminds me of adolescent visits to my uncle’s farm. It brought back the summer afternoons baling the fresh mown hay and all the other wonderful things that were going on in my life at that time, made me appreciate the beauty of this fragrance and the power of olfaction to evoke memories and emotions. Try as I might, I still cannot find the coffee in this one.

It is a wonderful fragrance to wear at the office, after a workout, on a warm summer day or when I want to kick back on a weekend, put on Joni Mitchell’s “Blue” and reminisce.
28th January, 2013 (last edited: 09th February, 2013)

Add your review of Vétiver