Cologne Royale (2010)

PerfumerFrançois Demachy
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About Cologne Royale

François Demachy:

Creating a cologne is a ritual for perfumers. Rigorous and authentic Cologne Royale conforms to this calibrated, harmonious exercise in style, which sees the finest citrus fruits – Mandarin, Orange and Lemon – bursting forth. It is classical and yet unusually elegant, setting itself apart while still remaining in its traditional frame. It has the soul of Visconti, telling us nothing changes because everything changes.

Reviews of Cologne Royale

Wow! Classy discovery for me is Cologne Royale, which is a really terrific blend of citrus elements mixed with fine mint, neroli and luxurious sandalwood to create an exceptional take on the Eau de Cologne mystique.

This category of fragrance is a true favorite of mine, and I must say that Dior's (pricy!) Cologne Royale is a remarkable creation. Longevity is decent, and I just LOVE the quality ingredients used to make this scent. Huge Thumbs Up!
23rd October, 2018
Thumbs up scent with a thumbs down performance, hence the neutral
17th March, 2017
Dior Privee Cologne Royale is another great high-end take on the traditional "eau de cologne" scent, much like Chanel Eau de Cologne, which I tried yesterday.

Ever so slightly more floral and green than Chanel's, there's certainly more of a departure in Cologne Royale than some other EDCs as well. Although listed notes are just citrus, neroli, and musk, I'd argue that there are some other florals involved. The musk dry down too is much significant than in Eau de Cologne and other EDCS. The dry down is very soft and leans toward the musk, the citrus almost entirely gone.

Purportedly an EDP but expectedly not, Cologne Royale is not a high-performer, being sub par both in terms of projection and longevity. I like this one a lot but I'd certainly give the edge to Chanel's version, despite Dior's better pricing (the standard Privee $210 for 125ml)

7 out of 10

07th June, 2016
bFlay Show all reviews
Excellent orange/bergomot, bitter citrus accord... Freshness! Dry down brings a spring-like minty note...which fades all too quickly. This manages to be both sweet and masculine. I like it a lot. Unfortunately, has a somewhat poor longevity, but still unique and worth the price. The mildness and short wear can actually be favorable in some situations...
25th May, 2016
Really like this one. Beautiful neroli and citrus. I get just a tad bit of mint which makes great for warmer weather. Summer gem IMO. You won't smell this after about 3 hours, but everyone else will. Very zesty and energetic. Great fragrance, just wish it projected a bit more. 8/10.
14th December, 2015 (last edited: 06th January, 2016)
Royale Cologne opens with a very natural Lemon and Mint combination, which smells a lot like Grass. It smells heavenly, and if you focus on the Lemon it bears a strong resemblance to Dior's Cologne '13.

The Lemon very quickly subsides and lets the herbal Mint shine, as well as some Neroli in the background. It has been about 5 minutes.

The Neroli slowly starts to take over from the Mint. It's soft and floral and works well with the Sandalwood heartnotes, which creates the image of smelling a bitter orange tree: blossoms and wood.

Very soon after it has all but disappeared. It has been about 15 minutes.

Royale Cologne is a delightful experience for the nose. It's unfortunate that it's longevity is so poor. Normally that would be enough to receive a Neutral from me, but despite that glaring flaw I choose to give it a Positive due to the sheer quality of the scent for those 15 minutes.

I won't be purchasing a bottle, but I'm glad that I picked up a couple of the 7.5ml sample bottles. If you cannot get your hands on Royale, try out Cologne '13 for a similarly well-done Chypre by Dior.

Update:

Despite my statement that I wouldn't be buying a full bottle, I've enjoyed my small amount of Cologne Royale so much that I decided to treat myself to a 4.2ozer. What finally pushed me over the edge was that one day I went for a well-paced walk and smelled something completely divine. Floral, crisp, fresh, it smelled amazing... and then I remembered the Cologne Royale that I'd applied in the morning after a shower.

Having worn Cologne Royale for a few months now, I've decided that the Sandalwood note is so suppressed that for all intents and purposes it may as well be absent. If I were to assign a basenote to Cologne Royale it would be Neroli, which acts as a modifier for the strong Mint heartnote.

If you can find samples I'd recommend giving this one a shot, with the understanding that it's a simple Citrus+MINT MINT MINT fragrance. I can see many being annoyed at the simplicity and high price, but Demachy has created a work of art with Cologne Royale.
04th May, 2014 (last edited: 08th August, 2014)

Add your review of Cologne Royale

CHRISTIAN DIOR " COLOGNE ROYAL" 7.5 ML EDT WITH B0X

End Date: Friday Jan-10-2020 20:50:27 PST
Buy It Now for only: $26.00

Member images of Cologne Royale

There are no member images of Cologne Royale yet. Why not be the first?