Trayee (2011)

Year of Launch2011

HouseNeela Vermeire
PerfumerBertrand Duchaufour

About Trayee

Trayee is a feminine perfume by Neela Vermeire. The scent was launched in 2011 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Bertrand Duchaufour

Reviews of Trayee

I have to admit upon first spritz I said to myself 'why do I smell like pot? What perfume did I pick? Isn't this supposed to be....?' What the heck is a 'ganja effect'...and being the out of touch person I am, I put two and two together (aka ganja is slang for pot).

I don't like the smell of pot around me or on me, which on my skin lasted for what felt like an eternity. After the wafts of ganja finally flitted away, a lovely warming scent of woods and spices, a very deep milky chai. I found Bodhi Language by 4160 Tuesdays a much more agreeable rendition of the same woody notes.
19th March, 2019
A sensuous undulation of scent

Trayee is a seamlessly blended perfume offering a powerful oriental melange buoyed by a gorgeous, to-die-for sandalwood. With the opening, you are treated to a rich panoply of notes with excellent projection.

There's no ganja to my nose, which I associate with skunk, so that is a positive. I also do not detect much oud here. What I do smell is an intermingling of lush rose and jasmine, forming the densely muscled heart of this scent, while herbs and spices dance around the edges. My favourite part of Trayee is the stunning sandalwood. I'm not a huge sandalwood fan but I find it very evocative here. It's not simply smooth and creamy, it is bright and aromatic as well.

I would describe Trayee as multifaceted, but that implies hard edges. Rather, Trayee's notes undulate swooningly slow, waves of notes slowly rolling into the foreground and then receding. I'm reminded of a mood ring changing colour in slow motion or light installations of colour gradients gradually shifting hues.

This is an incredibly sensual scent. "Sensual" is often used euphemistically in perfumery to describe something sexy or dirty, but I use the word precisely. Trayee is pure sensual, eye-rolling pleasure. The problem with a scent like this is I simply cannot wear this anywhere. It is far too distracting as I keep wanting to smell it.
27th November, 2018
This opens spicy with ginger, elemi, clove & cardamom, but there's a strange coolness here. As the initial phase progresses, there's incense & oud, which gives it that "band-aid" vibe when sniffed up close, & lends a masculine feel. One hour in, these notes are joined by creamy sandalwood, & then a slight fruitiness, but not sweetness. I don't get the listed "ganja effects", which disappoints me as I've never smelled this in a fragrance. After three hours, the spicy notes fade & the base of amber & oakmoss kicks in. There is something in this final phase that I smell in both Une Rose & Un Matin d'Orage, that I've never been able to identify, & these are three completely different fragrances, with very different notes lists. Ten hours in I detect the ghostly presence of the spices again, just as it's fading.
An interesting & quite complex fragrance, this isn't really my style, although I did enjoy the excellent quality of the sandalwood in this one. And after the first three hours, the lack of any further development means that for me, it's just not interesting enough for the price.
31st May, 2016
Assumption.
McDonald's has had a marketing idea! In a restaurant (style gourmet) are served special burgers. The idea is to serve the sandwiches of the American fast food chain, but people must think they are recipes of the chefs… And customers appreciate! After two days of success, then the surprise: the sign of the restaurant falls and, in its place, now you see the unmistakable M yellow.

This perfume is yet another French, Indian, Indian-French "masterpiece"! And because it's a scent of Batman, it must surely be a great fragrance!
These ignorant attitudes - arising from primitive ideology of supremacy where to French perfumers or similar are assigned different values - remain a source of endless violence and misery in times of creativity, as well as in times of IFRA all hypocritical legal restrictions for the protection of the superiority of some industries over others “losers” are cultural hallucination.

If you are a French child, you will soon learn this superhero's song:
If you're perfumer and you know it, clap your hands (clap clap)
If you're a nose and you know it, clap your hands (clap clap)
If you're Batman and you know it, then your face will surely show it
If you're perfumer and you know it, clap your hands. (clap clap)

This perfume has no artistic value and never could have, but it is yet another representation of Batman's strength.
The story is always the same. Someone has money to invest and decides to create a new brand of perfume. But how? At the same time a French industry has entire warehouses full of raw materials to be disposed of. But how? No problem, there is Batman!
In the Batcave, Batman reads that another chemical lab has a different Nose. Batman suggests the team split up and each check a different lab to cover more ground. They move out. All at different labs, no body sees anything, except Batman. He sees a mustached Nose and he knows that the perfumer. Who else would go to a chemical lab in the middle of the night?
Inside the lab, Batman jumps in and quickly pins the perfumer to the ground. Too easy! Batman wants to try that again, and time rewinds to when Batman jumped in. This time, the perfumer avoids Batman's first attack but falls after an unexpected roundhouse kick. Time rewinds again... again... again! No way! Batman always wins!
Viva Batman!

This scent is yet another defeat for the niche perfumery, but if you like it, you can also smell one like this one in the episode "Batman and the mystical Malian", where cardamom, vetiver, myrrh, patchouli play the same rule: Timbuktu (2004) by L'Artisan Parfumeur.

P.S.
If Batman were a perfume would be called: L'homme chauve-souris!

This reviewer may have conflicts of interest

18th May, 2015 (last edited: 26th May, 2015)
Genre: Woody Oriental

Trayee is a fascinating scent: a kind of Indian dessert with a subtle overlay of pot. It’s like eating cardamom-and-saffron rice pudding while your brother-in-law enjoys his bong in the next room. The cardamom, saffron, and vanilla far outlast the cannabis note, giving way in turn to a drydown of vanillic amber, incense, creamy sandalwood, and leathery notes. I detect none of the listed oudh or oakmoss.

Trayee is a complex scent, yet subtle, a gourmand, yet not overly sweet. I enjoy it and recommend that fans of creamy vanillic fragrances give it a try.
06th October, 2014
purush Show all reviews
Smells exactly like an authentic Indian dessert: Kulfi would smell! Absolutely delicious!
12th September, 2014

Add your review of Trayee

Shop for Trayee products online

Shop for Trayee at online perfumeries

Member images of Trayee

There are no member images of Trayee yet. Why not be the first?