De Profundis (2011)

HouseSerge Lutens
PerfumerChristopher Sheldrake
Parent CompanyShiseido

About De Profundis

De Profundis is a shared / unisex perfume by Serge Lutens. The scent was launched in 2011 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Christopher Sheldrake

Reviews of De Profundis

I own the limited Vapo version of this scent and, like CliareV, can't say that I find it melancholy in any sense.
Quite on the contrary, I like to wear it in late February and March, when the snow is beginning to thaw as the sun is warming. The cool fresh green top notes go with our longing for new greens and give us hope of a renewal of nature. They are like the first millimetre of a yellowish green leave tip when the first buds open in late March, early April.
I get cool flowers, violets mostly, and chrysenthemums on a very slight hint of light wood and just a tiny bit of incense. The perfume has a polite sillage, but it lasts and lasts. I sprayed it, using one spritz, 20 hours ago and I can still smell it clearly and in full complexity.
Aren't flowers meant as a consolation in funerals? A beautiful reminder of how nothing is ever lost, just changes form, a body turning into soil and from soil into plants and new life?
Anyway, this cool, calming, ethereal fragrance that stays with me for a whole day and more is perfect for a work environment in early spring. Lovely!
25th February, 2019
what a disappointment!!! do not deviate from the sweet and floral lutens. it is only very green as the cemetery flowers. but has a too sweet and too feminine base. violet is too strong and even the plum tree and soil tincture and incense are nonexistent. too feminine. for nothing sad. too feminine. great performance. 4/10
27th November, 2017
I used to worship this perfume. It's my pseudo-signature scent for now.

Of all the perfumes I’ve sniffed, this is the only one which gave a perfect presentation of chrysanthemums— the green, slightly pungent funeral flower.

However, I do wish they can take that iris smell away -- that rice powder coated iris which take over the verdant chrysanthemums.

What's left, is abyss. It's dark soil, but not those typical vetiver scent: it doesn't give out even one hint of warmth. So It's fair to say this perfume is cold, but just the opposite of those light/transparent citruse/mint notes.

It's wild chrysanthemum growing in graveyard.
30th August, 2017 (last edited: 02nd January, 2019)
Ophelia John Everett Millais 1852
28th July, 2016 (last edited: 14th December, 2016)
The earthy autumnal scent of chrysanthemum is evident to my nose from the start. In the background is that bitter Oud-like wood note that Lutens is so devoted to and which ruins a dozen of his scents for me.

I don't get the carnation, violet or hyacinth as distinct notes. There is a mild sweetish vibe which supports the chrysanthemum, but which is unimpressive.

It is for me another of the non-scents, so light and so ephemeral as to disappear within minutes. This is one that certainly baffles me, given all the positive and in depth reviews here of its effects on emotions.

I give it a neutral as it is an experience lost on me that could be due to intervening factors I'm not aware of. Definitely one that should not be purchased blind.
08th June, 2016
This is a happy perfume, able to breathe atmosphere into a blue skied and fairly hot day. I don’t find the marketing spin at all helpful, obscuring the perfume’s effect for me. The name, the story attached to this name, vibrant purple dye, none of it seems to fit my experience of the smell.

De Profundis is deceptively light at first, but soon blooms into a huge and long-lasting haze. When I decant some drops from my 2011 bell jar into a vial and apply a couple of sprays, it is like sitting on a stone bench under a blossoming tree whilst I rest my back after attending to a flower bed. The flowers are neither sweet or sharp, and this bit is in sync with the perfume’s name, a turbid accord takes up a prominent place amidst the floral sunlight medley, that successfully conjures up the idea of the smell of fresh soil, a moody presence adding an undercurrent of sulkiness. There is subtle frankincense low and creeping in the shady corners. The description melancholic could fit here.

This perfume is tenacious, and that is what I don’t like about it in the far drydown, which is a monotonous greenish floral, not unpleasant or a scrubber but surprisingly weedy, and tiring, with an aquatic transparent feeling, like water left to stagnate in an old vase or collect in rain barrel. When it reaches the last stage I layer on a different perfume. A seasonal wear so doesn’t receive much use, but I choose it some mornings in the Spring.
23rd May, 2016

Serge Lutens De Profundis Eau De Parfum 3.3oz/100ml New

End Date: Wednesday Jun-12-2019 9:45:26 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $274.99

Member images of De Profundis

There are no member images of De Profundis yet. Why not be the first?