De Profundis (2011)

HouseSerge Lutens
PerfumerChristopher Sheldrake
Parent CompanyShiseido

About De Profundis

De Profundis is a shared / unisex perfume by Serge Lutens. The scent was launched in 2011 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Christopher Sheldrake

Reviews of De Profundis

I tried this a year ago, and it came across as sober, dry and somewhat gray. I retried it, and it is very nice this time, but pretty different than last year. I read the reviews - De Profundis sounds like a real shape-shifter.
This time it was light floriental, not bright, but an interesting combination of uncommon flowers that end up having the resonance of a subdued gathering of sweetness, remembrance and memory. I can see its association with funerals. These florals have the feel of notes in quiet conversation. Of shared reminiscence. And hopefulness. Is that the chrysanthemum? A vague undercurrent of smooth incense gives this fragrance a peace and acceptance.
I'm going to have to try a decant and see if it won't be as variable as it seems right now. At this point I really like it. It has the potential because of its midtone quality and careful modulation and introspection, of being a versatile fragrance that will fit in well with a life.
The sample I tried this time is the remainder from last year's sampling. Is it possible this fragrance improves with aging?
07th April, 2015 (last edited: 10th April, 2015)
I've been a lover of perfumes for decades but am new to Serge Lutens but am intrigued by his work, his creative spirit and his I'm making myself a project for this year to try ever one of his perfumes and to do a writeup....posting on basenotes if I think my review is worthy. So I tried De Profundis today and fell in love!! What I'm getting with the SL line is that not only do the perfumes smell very different on different people but also very differently on myself depending on my mood and variations in time of day. De Profundis is a huge floral on my skin - it opens with the most exsquisite sweet/sharp/almondy/lily/honey/violet wall of flowers and smoothly morphs into a luxurious blanket of succulent blooms fit for a queen - beautiful!!! In a way it is not unlike Chanel 19 in the old days- but compared to today's No 19 its like the Philharmonic orchestra next to the local school's line-up. I love it and will definatley get a full bottle - I think it would be grand for a day when you're feeling particularly low or fed-up and is perfect for spring and summer. A real shape shifter and a mood enhancer....wonderful!!
09th February, 2015 (last edited: 08th March, 2015)
Genre: Floral Oriental

The photorealistic chrysanthemum top note is unique in my experience, and truly arresting. Chrysanthemum is an autumnal, melancholy note, with associations of turning leaves and early frosts. As De Profundis matures on the skin, the evocative chrysanthemum gains support from an accord of liturgical incense, carnation, and woody violet. It’s all rather moody, despite the floral content, and the composition maintains a brooding, bittersweet air right up to the drydown. In its late stages De Profundis is a clean musk, amber and frankincense skin scent, with a lingering touch of violet at the verge of olfactory perception.

I happen to enjoy De Profundis, especially on a gray, damp Pacific Northwest evening, but subdued and contemplative as it is, I can’t imagine this scent finding much of a popular audience. Whether it’s likeable or not, I give Lutens and Sheldrake credit for offering a unique olfactory experience, and recommend a sniff for curious fragrance lovers.
19th July, 2014
A strong green violet scent. quite persistent. quite linear and lacking complexity (it is quite hard to convince myself that i detect anything beyond violet and some generic greenness). not bad, but to me it doesn't live up to the marketing hype. having read the description and the reviews, i was expecting more.
13th July, 2014
lingering darkness, huge charming power...
22nd December, 2012
I absolutely love this.

It's achingly ephemeral and rather abstract, but for the precious few hours that it lasts on the skin, it's so beautiful and finespun that it's almost transporting. I've never quite smelt anything like this before. It's one of those scents which require the wearer to be in a certain frame of mind to appreciate its elegiac nuances and sublimity.

It is not a scent which will ever be released in the export bottle as it's ever so polarising. I'm certain they would've known that this ain't no crowd pleaser, but there's a lot to be said about Serge Lutens and Christopher Sheldrake continuing to push the envelope every time.
23rd September, 2012

Add your review of De Profundis

Shop for De Profundis products online

Search Amazon for De Profundis

Member images of De Profundis

There are no member images of De Profundis yet. Why not be the first?