Lasso (1956)
    by Jean Patou

Lasso Fragrance notes

Floral notes, Oakmoss, Leather

Reviews of Lasso

Showing 1 to of 4 reviews.
    positive 3 Positive Reviewsneutral1 Neutral Reviewsnegative No Negative Reviews

Foustie's avatar
    Foustie
    Scotland Scotland

What a privilege to be able to try this fragrance, the original version, from the 1950's. Whether it has remained as it was then? Well, there is no way for me to know. I suspect that it has mellowed.

What tsrikes me about this fragrance every time that I wear it, is that is so beautifully PLUMP. Furrypine set the scene for us. It is a floral leather, not a chypre. It is not angular, nor is it as dense and uncompromising as some of it's peers. It is far more yielding. The flowers are a luscious bouquet but not overwhelming. They are old fashioned. The flowers have melded these days (perhaps always) but it has a Carnation, Jasmine, and Rose, heart, and Iris I think. The leather is both resinous and animalic, rich and soft, and just a bit smoky.

Lasso, vintage glamour through a soft focus lense, rich, soft, very appealing, and PLUMP!

26 April, 2013 (Last Edited: 27 April, 2013)

Larimar's avatar
    Larimar
    Austria Austria

This is a very Patou-ish perfume. I always feel the great, long discontinued house classics share 80 or more percent of their perfumed DNA, so knowing one or two is a bit like knowing them all. This is a bit exaggerated, of course. However, they all share a very unique and prominent soapiness. Here we have another variation on the vintage Mitsouko theme, of which the house has more on offer. The biggest achievement here in my opinion is the seamless incorporation of improper amounts of animalics which come across as totally well-behaved and 'nice 'n' sweet'. The base is very warm in feel, Patou-style chypre with some lovely leathery animalic facets. One of the best from the old house of Patou!

15 December, 2012

kalli's avatar
    kalli

Lasso, I get mostly floral, which has a bit of candied sweetness on top that fades quickly before the florals come out. Florals may be rose and iris and/or orris root. Carnation is another guess. Then the scent becomes very powdery..I get a lot of oakmoss. The smooth, leather notes come in along with that masculine powder. The sweetness takes a backseat as the florals and powder take over. I would say there is musk in this one and perhaps patchouli. There is a note that makes this a bit masculine..it's the leather plus maybe another note, that's why I thought patchouli. Very animalic. I am also thinking that animalic is civet. Woody notes as well. There is also something slightly resinous or balmy and I would guess maybe there is some amber in the base. Perhaps vetiver. Very vintage-y powdery/mossy floral. It smells like a masculine, animalic but also vintage-floral talc powder+Bottega Veneta. Lasso is way more animalic than Bottega..I get a lot of civet or musk in Lasso. There is some kind of animal spray in this, lol. Very animalic, oakmoss-y, woody floral. Impressed with the oakmoss.

28 November, 2012

furrypine's avatar
    furrypine
    Norway Norway

I am testing the parfum, and it's deep, rich, sweet. It's herbal and floral, something slightly mentholated (or peppery?) floats by, then the leather smooths out everything. It looses most of it sillage after about an hour and becomes a skin scent, though the far drydown lasts for many hours. A real treasure, don't miss the opportunity to try it if you like old school chypres.

Edited to add: I've changed my mind after testing it twice: I don't find it to be a typical chypre, on me at least, Lasso is more of a floral leather.

27 June, 2012 (Last Edited: 19 December, 2012)

Add your review of Lasso