Boston Ivy (2011)

Year of Launch2011

HouseD.S. & Durga
PerfumerDavid Moltz

About Boston Ivy

Boston Ivy is a masculine fragrance by D.S. & Durga. The scent was launched in 2011 and the fragrance was created by perfumer David Moltz

Boston Ivy fragrance notes

Reviews of Boston Ivy

Yuck. Not for me. A sharp clover flower smell that isn't quite sweet, but gags me with it's funeral flower water smell. There's a greenness around the edges that wouldn't be bad if it wasn't for that sickening floral that just leaves me cold. Love Bowmakers and also really like Mississippi Medicine, but Boston Ivy's a pass for me.
04th January, 2017

I donít know what the Boston ivy plant smells like, but if it smells like this opening, it smells darn good. The opening is a deep, rich green Ė neither creamy-green nor sharp-green as many of the fragrance-greens smell. Good sillageÖ Iím voting thumbs-up on the opening of Boston IvyÖ

The heart accord settles down to a softer green Ė identified as English ivy and clover Ė and it has a definite salty tinge to it. Itís a pleasant green note, but itís a bit weak in my opinionÖ it certainly doesnít deliver like the opening level did.

The base is a real let-down: I get a soft mossy accord which gives off a background green resin (the galbanum?). I donít get an Earth-note, and the intensity of the base is so low that I get only a skin scent Ė very little sillage. Iím afraid that this is another fragrance that starts strong but weakens too much. Too badÖ it opened as one of the best greens Iíve smelled.
19th December, 2016
rbaker Show all reviews
After admission first few minutes, when a somewhat bland citrus impression hit my notes, the full gamut of the opening notes develops: a green, herbal and woody combination evolves, a successful mix that evokes the outdoors.

Later in the drydown the ivy note arrives, a note of green bushes and convincingly done. At times slightly spicy clover-laden moments come and go, citrusy whiffs of lime alternate with more ozonic impressions.

The drydown takes on earthier mossy characteristics, but the moss is not the real thing and fairly flat on my skin.

All this reminds me of the likes of Geoffrey Beene's Bowling Green or Crown Perfumery's Town and Country, but less refined and less intensive than especially the latter. Boston Ivy is less rich and more restrained.

I get moderate sillage, good projection and eight ours of longevity on my skin; after that the occasional transient glimpse of a slightly balsamic afterthought remains for another few hours but it is too close to my skin to be counted.

This is a nice spring scent, and whilst not without its weak points it is overall a successful realisation if what he name promises. The ingredients are mostly of respectable quality. 3.5/5.
30th May, 2016
Boston Ivy is an aquatic with a distinctly minty element that doesn't appear explicitly in the note listing but that I'm guessing is created by the lime mixed with ivy. Definitely a different take on an aquatic, warm weather-leaning scent, this pairing yields a fairly unisex combination that I think some will like and some will hate. This surely isn't a universal winner, and not a winner by individual taste as well, as that minty element is not something that's terribly palatable at any time of year. There is a herbier side to this in the dry down, especially, likely brought about by the galbanum and oakmoss.

Projection is decent at the opening, but the longevity is relatively weak, and I question the EDP concentration in this case. It wore off on my skin within 3 hours, barely being a skin scent after that.

This isn't one I'll be buying, and it's not unpleasant--the notes just don't blend well for me.

6 out of 10
29th June, 2015
I get two distinct green accords at work here: the first a dark, lush green coupled with a synthetic mossy-feel. I donít say that to put it down; it smells interesting to me. The second is a light green accord: the scent of cucumbers, buried underneath the darker green accord. Two strikes for me: the two accords donít come together and I really donít like the scent of cucumbers.
12th June, 2015
Boston Ivy is a unique and interesting fragrance that really can't be compared to any other that I am familiar with. I liked BI right away, however it's taken several wearings for me to fully appreciate how original and well constructed this fragance is. The main notes are green ivy and ocean salt. The background notes are soil and a light floral. It's a definite fresh green scent and the ivy and ocean salt seem to drift back and forth with each other. Makes me think of being on a green shoreline, as a wave washes in you catch the scent of ocean salt, as the wave washes back out the green ivy takes back over. It's one of those fragrances that is better described as an atmosphere. Like a New England sea shore. Sillage is low average, but maintains itself lightly for about 6 hours. Although BI could be worn as an office scent, I think it has a more casual appeal and would be well received in a wide variety of occasions and seasons.

A truly unique fragrance and a certain Thumbs Up.
06th April, 2015 (last edited: 28th April, 2015)

Add your review of Boston Ivy

Shop for Boston Ivy products online

Search Amazon for Boston Ivy

Member images of Boston Ivy

There are no member images of Boston Ivy yet. Why not be the first?