Mississippi Medicine (2011)

Year of Launch2011

HouseD.S. & Durga
PerfumerDavid Moltz

About Mississippi Medicine

Mississippi Medicine is a masculine fragrance by D.S. & Durga. The scent was launched in 2011 and the fragrance was created by perfumer David Moltz

Mississippi Medicine fragrance notes

Reviews of Mississippi Medicine

This is a long-shut cupboard in the wood supplies store Ė stocked full of preparations to treat your planks, and smoky, tarry polishing products. Although thereís frankincense at the centre of this fragrance, itís presented in a dark, earthed manner, bolstered by an array of woody and resinous tones. It could have been a dense mess, but instead it breathes and invites you into its frontiers gloom. The pine and bark notes give vigour to the more burnt out elements. The smokiness has the dusty quality of dry leaves burning. The kind of fragrance that seems to be calling out for a sunny winterís day or when the ĎI want to go live in a log cabiní mood strikes you (Iíll admit to being visited by it from time to time, usually when I have been desk-bound too long).
Nonetheless, this seems more of a perfume for a few hours than for an entire day, as it doesnít evolve much except for the frankincense and resins getting more of the upper hand in the later stages with the smoke and woody notes receding somewhat. I found this a bit tiring; but the more single-minded may beg to disagree.
17th December, 2016
Birch tar...and a lot of it in the opening. It settles down pretty quickly though, and I really enjoy Mississippi Medicine. It's a green scent that smells of many different trees. I love trees and I love to smell like most trees. This is a wonderful combination of cedar, spruce, pine, wild juniper or "cade". A nice resinous scent. I would buy some as well if it wasn't 165.00 for around an ounce of fragrance. Very pricey. Maybe someday...but for now, there's others I want more...
10th December, 2016
Absolutely fantastic fragrance. This smells almost exactly like burning copal resin, which is used a lot during Dia de los Muertos, on the ofrendas (altars) to the dead. Very much like a pine-cedar resin. Brilliant!
09th September, 2016
rbaker Show all reviews
The opening blast with a floral notes with aldehydic touches, and an incense note, and the latter soon takes over. It is a frankincense with, especially initially, a balsamic undertone that could be described as mildly medicinal at stages.

In the drydown a woodsy pine accent appears, but it is soon pushed into the background when the birch tar sets in, which has a distinct burning and smoky characteristic on my skin. Gradually it is fading out over time, like a fire that moves further away in the distance.

The sillage is moderate, the projection brilliant and the lovebird and excellent nine hours.

A warm incense winter scent with a burning and smoky characteristic, made from high-quality ingredients and well blended. 3.25/5.
08th July, 2016
An interesting mix of wood notes (cedar, birch) and incense, probably not the heaviest/strongest offering D.S. & Durga that I've smelled. Surely more on the cold weather side but also workable in warmer weather, Mississippi Medicine is doesn't lean so heavily on the incense as it does on the woody/resinous notes. Like other scents in the house, it smells very natural, never surprisingly sweet or sour, but almost a patchouli-esque earthiness. Probably not one that I'd buy but with decent projection and longevity, it might prove worthwhile. This makes me to go back and smell some of their other scents to compare.

6 out of 10
16th July, 2015
Dark, moody, evocative

From D.S. and Durga:

"Mississippi Medicine is a fragrance based on the rituals of the proto-Mississipian death cult of the 1200s."

Wow! This may be one of the first times for me that a description of a fragrance actually matches exactly the image that the scent evokes. Dark, moody...you'll only want to wear it while chanting hexes in velvet robes and your blackest, thickest eyeliner. A really great scent that had me constantly sniffing my wrist...I was really digging what I assume was the birch tar. The downside? Well, what makes it so intriguing may also work against it and I feel like it would make me, well...make me feel depressed because it is so damn moody. Just maybe. But I love the fact that a fragrance can do that. I would definitely recommend it for people seeking a dark, incensey fragrance. Well-made, evocative, decent-to-great longevity.

16th October, 2013

Add your review of Mississippi Medicine

Shop for Mississippi Medicine products online

Search Amazon for Mississippi Medicine

Member images of Mississippi Medicine

There are no member images of Mississippi Medicine yet. Why not be the first?