R'oud Elements (2011)

R'oud Elements information

Year of Launch2011

PerfumerJohn Pegg

About R'oud Elements

R'oud Elements is a masculine fragrance by Kerosene. The scent was launched in 2011 and the fragrance was created by perfumer John Pegg

R'oud Elements fragrance notes

Reviews of R'oud Elements

Dr. Z. Show all reviews

There's a vast array of positive opinions about this albeit creative , but not so "complete" fragrance ; at least to my nose, that I hesitate to give this a neutral thumb.
Maybe its me.

But should I betray my helpless nose?!

Also.. Keep in mind that I'm not as seasoned as some of you so forgive me if this makes little (or no) sense.

First things 1st...

The materials are great and the blending of the orange bitters with some of the other notes.. amber... ect.. Is done very well.

But there's a "gap" in here which I'll explain later.

Also, the combination of "sharp-ish" nuances combined with the woodsy accord that drives my nose close to the fragrance impact points are first rate-ie the bitter blast that opens this, followed by the "mellow"oud that closes it are well done. (They actually arrive as one entity but the balance shifts with time allowing the sharper tones to get attention before the others).

This is quality juice!

Nice and thick!

I like it.

The opening reminds me of those spinning wheels found in small parks-It rotates around and around throwing off ( small children, if the wheel is spinning fast enough!) many complex neoclassical "whiffs" of notes. Some are more detectable than others.. on the other hand, not all I detect, are listed in the pyramid.

I'm very much aware that the "pyramid" here is linear. But I think a fragrance, linear or not, still needs a sense of "balance". More so.. when it's linear... IMHO.

Before I get too the dry down .. Which again is quite linear on my skin ... There's this NICE ORANGE BLAST!

Others notes are deeper "mellow wood" and a touch of something edible??
Maybe I'm getting a bit of chocolate in here ( I'm watching a Hershey's commercial. Gimme a break...)

Some (that are floating around my olfactory bulbs) , I believe are a result of the juxtaposition of two or more notes listed in the "pyramid".

Some notes are even boozy as mentioned by other reviewers.

That being said.. I get a slight "high pitched"-detergent- like "buzz" that I perceive throughout, thankfully, just the 1st hour or so, as this frag commences it's purpose.

It occurs instantly to a few seconds, after the initial opening but gradually increases till it peaks- one half hour later. Then, as it rounds the "apex" it calms down.

However... Since this is basically linear on my skin... It only takes a back seat.. Then goes into the trunk... But it never leaves completely. It only disappears completely when the fragrance does. But right before it does.... I get a sweet/ mellow, oud.

It has - this "buzz"- which I'll admit may be something I get from the combination of several notes in the "pyramid".. Which notes?? I don't know- is an "effervescent" type of a vibe... Not unlike a typical laundry detergent. Tide ect.. Which renders the frag a tad strange.

Not a good strange. But not terrible either. Just strange.
I'd prefer it "NOT BE THERE" -strange... but try as I may.. It's there.

If your confused right now.. Don't worry. So am I.

So... Where was I?
Ah yes... After an hour or so... The "buzz" really simmers down but I find myself looking (with my nostrils of course) for the "second" and "third" violins.

In other words... The reason for the neutral is that if this were a violin concerto (hey.. they're called notes aren't they??), there would be quite a bit of olfactory stimulation perceived on one side of the linear pyramid (oxymoron) -- ie 1st violin-who's bow is stroking out the melody--as well as at the other side--i.e. bass (base) ...whose notes are to establish the "key" in which the piece is composed in.

The bass(base) note of the composition here as I mentioned earlier is sweet, mellow & woodsy.

The dilemma?
I don't perceive with my nose, that the "other" notes ( amber, vanilla, lavender & iris) are, suited in this frag as a proper "bridge"--- connecting the various highs and lows.
Or....not "adequate" enough through the majority of the dry down, to bring the most out of what this fragrance could be!

Think of that the wonderful initial blast of the bitter orange that becomes a nice woodsy 4-ingredient M7- like dry down.

So as time passes I find myself asking: "where are the 2nd & 3rd violins??

Or...where's the rest of the Fragrance?"

In this composition...the "harmony" in my opinion, is somewhat lacking-rendering in a way- the entire "balance" of the fragrance to be thrown off ...slightly.

It is this "HARMONY" ( which I feel is extremely important)--that is supposed to bridge the top and bottom notes, giving the whole piece a particular "feel".

A "mood".

I'm missing this in here. Don't get me wrong.. I like it overall. But due to the absence of the rest of the "orchestra", the result is that a good part of this fragrance is VERY VAGUE to my nose.

Again...I get a nice "melody" adequate (to say the least) and a nice bass (base) line; but somehow the two are so far apart that theres a "gap" where the harmony should be-hence the neutral.

"Empty space"

Space that... like any musical composition ... is absolutely necessary to establish the "mood". This is something I look for in a fragrance.

The "emotion(s)" if you will. (Or won't ... your choice).

Does this make any sense??

I dunno (I just felt like writing).

Great projection and longevity (16 hours till it was undetectable).

Rating: 6/10

But that will most likely be going up... I hope. (Not cheap)
19th June, 2016
The opening of R’oud Elements by Kerosene shows quite many features and recurring notes of America’s contemporary indie perfumery: powerful, slightly boozy-terpenic, dark and incredibly rich, halfway the dark-syrupiness ŕ la (early) M7, mostly for the same amber-oud-booze-herbs structure, and the metallic black amber reminding me of some Slumberhouse scents. Above this, a sharp, sour, dry and aromatic greenish accord with bold metallic whiffs (which don’t sound cheap, though, as they seem “intended” to provide a sort of post-industrial feel, which I guess quite fits the brand – or at least its name) and a base woody accord in fact quite similar to oud – smoky, dry, animalic, with a compelling shady and warm richness. The sandalwood lies somewhere on the very base, just providing a subtle drop of sweetness well contrasting with the general smoky, dark and almost “rotten” vibe. Overall: not bad at all, I enjoy the contrasts between the dark notes and the hints of sweet colour, wrapped in a warm, dark amber and woody feel. After a while the bold metallic aftertaste gets kind of annoying to me, but at least it seems a creative choice with its “raison d’etre” here. The projection is quite loud and the texture in my opinion smells as much creative as quite “elementary” somehow (not minimal, rather just barely simple to the point of smelling clumsy from times to times), but as I said... not bad at all for me!

18th December, 2014
jcw122 Show all reviews
I think this is a great fragrance...but I can't help but acknowledge the resemblance to Joop! Pour Homme. It has that candy-like scent to it mixed in with the oud, and is somewhat overpowering compared to the oud note. The note is must more smooth compared to how Joop can be rather sickening. Overall, it smells good but reminds me too much of Joop. I also wouldn't call it well blended...the "Joop" note and the Oud complement eachother, but seem only present in their own rights, not mixed. Overall, it's a great scent IMO, very unique, but lots of candy-ness which isn't my thing.

Projection and longevity are outstanding.
13th October, 2012 (last edited: 26th November, 2012)
I must say this is really great! I understand the reference to M7 made by Alfarom, it doesnt exactly share any similarities except in the way that it blends a really smooth oud into its composition almost effortlessly. It starts out with a great bitter orange with a creamy slightly sweet note. After awhile the bitter orange gets much creamier and richer as the oud really kicks in. Its interesting how much smoother this gets as time goes on. I guess its the amber/vanilla combo that lends itself to the smoothness. I just barley detect the lavender but I think its job is to keep the whole fragrance from crossing over the line of too sweet and feminine. Again, I agree with Alfarom that this could have been a little more edgy and included an animalic note. That being said I give this 9/10
12th June, 2012
jPhx Show all reviews
A blizzard of bitter orange is my initial stance to this stunning scent by Kerosene. It immediately brings to mind unsweetened marmalade and within moments warm woods shadowed by amber are revealed, then completely envelope the brief yet acerbic onslaught.

A beguiling fragrance of developing soft and smooth ouds with good sillage and a longevity that is excellent upon me. For those who usually do not like ouds - as mentioned by others including Kerosene - I would certainly recommend trying this striking fragrance, which is neither exceedingly sweet nor smothering and has nothing of the barnyard that can deter the tender-hearts like me.

This is a distinctive and good EdP that has remained close to the skin half way through my day - drawing me into a comforting and balmy golden haze. Put quite simply, I like it. Do give it a try.
04th April, 2012
My favorite out of the Kerosene fragrances so far. The Orange bitters and Oud stand out in the opening with the lavender and amber giving it a tad bit of sweetness throughout the heart and drydown. It's a very comforting fragrance that is masculine, fresh, and very wearable in any season. I'd put this right up there with Royal Oud by Creed as one of the best and well blended Oud fragrances. Fantastic fragrance that easily gets a 9 out of 10.
30th March, 2012