Norne (2012)

Norne information

Year of Launch2012

PerfumerJosh Lobb

About Norne

Norne is a masculine fragrance by Slumberhouse. The scent was launched in 2012 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Josh Lobb

Norne fragrance notes

Reviews of Norne

I've been wearing this for about 2 years now. It's the most impressive, realistic version of a deep, northern forest that I've ever come across. Dark resins and smokey wood, rich pine and conifers, and brown and green mosses come together naturally to recreate this sacred space. I have the original EDP of Norne, so I can't comment on the current extrait, however the projection and longevity is through the roof. I apply one spray and I'm set. What I really love about Norne is that despite the heavy materials and the realism behind it, it's also quite wearable. It fits the typically masculine mossy-woody-pine mold, but has so much more depth and naturalness to it. I spend part of my summer in New England, in a cabin deep in a pine forest. Norne reminds me of the cool mornings there gathering wood and lighting it in the fireplace. It brings all of those elements into perfect focus. 5 stars for my favorite offering from one of my favorite houses.

(originally written October, 2014)
26th September, 2015
Immediately this became one of my very favorites. Firstly, I've read that this is a fragrance one can only enjoy in the polite company of solitude. Respectfully, 1. Unless you're wearing Eau de Merde or positively bathing in eleventeen sprays of whatever it is you're wearing, don't worry about it. 2. The wife liked it!

Anyway, this strikes me as a mature fragrance. Not in the Matlock sense, but... it certainly doesn't say, "I'm trying to get layed in a club by wearing something unisex", but it's also neither macho nor "badass". The maturity I perceive in it is found in its depth, quality and character. Mind you, regarding those descriptors, I sincerely don't have the knowledge or experience of the many more seasoned and educated noses on here to disect and comment on the intricacies of a fragrance. This fragrance simply is what it is. It's.... Perhaps this thought simply comes from my affinity for these, but it's like this fragrance, within a wonderful family, could be the eldest brother to Polo "Green" and Esencia Loewe. Take nothing away from either, but have them go through more in life, gain more experience, spend more time out in the woods and building and fixing things but also more time in church, and there ya go. It's got woods, it's got incense.... It's... a powerful presence in its depth, as opposed to being in your face. It doesn't flex its muscles because it's neither inclined nor does it need to.

That's my take on it. Tried Jeke, wasn't big on it, but this one... it's one of those fragrances that makes me wish I had the knowledge and experience of many of the members on this site in order to speak more eloquently and with more specificity as to what exactly I'm smelling, but I just had to write something to pay humble tribute to it. Magnificent fragrance. Perhaps not for the faint of heart, but not for the tank top chest hairs and gold chain crowd either. If you feel any intrigue towards this one, at least treat yourself to a sample spray, and I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do. Happy scenting!
26th September, 2015
From that place are girls of much wisdom,
Every day they are weaving faith and boredom!

They are alone and three, from those cold cold waters
they are sisters of a tree, and of the world are daughters.

The First young girl creates runes on a rough deal table,
the Second write the law for a legendary fable!

The Third of them knows life and reigns onto the fortunes!
They all are playing a theme in the roots of any emotions...

The tree of life they put at the center of the cosmos,
you can smell it in mind and with your heart just for osmose!

by your amazing "interesting man in conflict"

This reviewer may have conflicts of interest

22nd June, 2015
Excellent reviews here on Norne. Like other reviewers, I find Norne quite similar to Serge Lutens’ Fille en Aiguilles, which I own. Compared one to one, I think Norne is more complex and a bit better smelling. Norne has even fewer of the sweet references than Fille en Aiguilles has, and Norne is more realistic – I know because I live in a pine-spruce-fir forest. Norne is an excellent fragrance... quality materials, noteworthy performance... a daring composition. It is a must try for anyone interested in conifer fragrances.
03rd May, 2015
Like a haunted forest burning to the ground in the middle of a moonless night.
Like covering your body in fir sap and rolling around in burnt incense, as the wind carries a chilling breeze overhead.
Or maybe like a recently set ablaze church in the middle of the frozen Norwegian woods.
Stoic, haunting, sombre, and meditative are all fitting. It almost seems like day to day life is not worthy of such powerful, enchanting imagery. Just to add to the experience, i've never had anything perform like this. It just keeps lasting.
Wearing this in even slightly warm weather would be absolutely stifling so I can't justify a full bottle due to my area's tropical climate, but man does this sample make me long for being lost in some snowy, dark, coniferous forest. Truly a masterpiece and one of the best from Slumberhouse.
26th April, 2015
Norne is a case of perfect top-down design. The Black Metal concept speaks to young men like me who wish the perfume world would embrace a larger swath of culture than the ubiquitous dainty slim-volume-of-poetry herbal-tea-with-a-saucer prim ladylike groupthink liberal blogosphere. I can't tell you how excited I was when I started reading interviews with Josh Lobb to find he is opinionated, open about his drug use, doesn't care about ingratiating himself to The Right People, and truly cares about making high quality and distinctive fragrances. Hearing a different, less *polite* voice just meant so much to me, and I want more of this. I was reminded of the late Robert White's great Fragrantica reviews, and how reading him felt like a breath of fresh air in an often stagnantly mannered field.

I have no idea if Josh has smelled the deceased and legendarily out-there Norma Kamali Incense, but Norne resurrects its tarry, thick, literally sticky spirit and casts it in a shadow of fresh pine and musty forest floor. As lovingthealien said, it also brings to mind both Yatagan and Youth-Dew. I can't say enough about how great this is. Roll a joint, turn out the lights, blare Mayhem's "De Mysteriis Dom Satanis" or Burzum's "Filosofem," slather yourself in Norne, and lay back.
30th January, 2015

Add your review of Norne

Shop for Norne products online

Search Amazon for Norne

Member images of Norne

There are no member images of Norne yet. Why not be the first?