Norne (2012)

Norne information

Norne is a men's fragrance by Slumberhouse. The scent was launched in 2012

Shop for Norne products online

Reviews of Norne

Showing 1 to 6 of 35 reviews.

rbaker's avatar

A deep, earthy, dark green aroma from fir tree forests dominate the opening, a combination of amazing slightly smoky depth. In the drydown pine needle covered grounds mix with herbs, clove and later incense notes. A green brooding is ever-present. Like a deeper, earthier mix of Bogner's Deep Forest, Dunhill's Blend 30 and some O'Drius: sensational in ingredient quality and blending. Add great silage and longevity to a brilliant longevity of eleven hours - the last four very close to my skin - and you get a top class fragrance for autumn.

18 August, 2014

ClaireV's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Somewhere between dark green and black, the color of this juice announces its sinister intentions ahead of time. This stuff stains. It feels sticky where you sprayed it, like getting pine sap on your fingers, or tar. This is what it smells like, too. Fir balsam served straight up, crushed pine needles underfoot, the camphor and tar of a dark forest jostling around you. For a bit you even think “Christ, will I be able to breathe?” You will. Just wait.

The openings to such fragrances are often unfriendly. Pine sap, fir, tar, smoke, camphor – these are all notes that are all best taken in small doses. Here you get a full whack of them, all at once.

But soon, the resinous top notes loosen up a bit, your lungs contract and you gulp in a big breath of fresh air….aaah! As your head clears, you begin to notice other notes emerging from the blackness. Focusing, you can identify the bitter peel of a lemon or an orange – or perhaps this is just the slight citric edge that frankincense has. But if there is incense here, it is the cold, ashy remains of incense tears left in the censer and not incense that is still burning.

There is a very prominent sweet note now, almost candied, which plays off nicely against the grassy, herbaceous notes emerging also at this time. This reminds me strongly of the part in Parfums de Nicolai’s Vie de Chateau Intense where the grapefruit rind plays off against the trampled grasses and hays. It’s very clever, this play between bitter and sweet, coniferous and herbaceous. There is also something here that reminds me of hashish resin – grassy, resinous, sticky. There are some points of intersection here with transitory cannabis notes in House of Matriarch’s Blackbird and Parfumerie Generale’s Coze, although, in general, outside of the pot references and the “great outdoors” feel, not much else connects these perfumes.

More than anything, this scent conjures up a photorealistic image of a pine forest at high altitudes. It is quite linear. You get a pine forest in all its glory, and not much else. But that’s more than ok with me. It reminds me of the pine forests up in the North of Montenegro, specifically the National Park of the Black Lake. We go there, my family and me, almost every year to escape the oppressive heat of the city: Norne reminds me of that moment when we step out of the car and into the deep green silence of the forest. The first gulp of that fresh, piney, cold air is simply intoxicating.

But, although my forest is a sun-lit and Mediterranean, Norne is a chilly fantasy of dark forests in Scandinavia and Russia. There is a spooky, moody feel to it that would suit Goths down to the ground. It is somewhat reminiscent of Annick Goutal’s Encens Flamboyant, which also combines fir balsam and incense, but Norne is greener, more resin-y and outdoorsy. The Goutal is as much about the church as it is the forest; Norne is an unapologetically pagan prayer to Mother Forest.

Another natural point of comparison is Serge Lutens’ Fille En Anguilles. But while the Lutens creation takes pine and spins it off into an orientalist’s fantasy of Orthodox churches, dried fruits, and booze, Norne feels cool and reserved. Filles en Anguilles is off in the corner smoking a hookah while Norne is like, totally emo, in its no logo t-shirt and Fair-trade coffee. The start to Norne had me wincing, but by the dry down, I had really grown to appreciate it. I am not sure if I would wear this one much, because it seems so oddly specific to a time and place (the forest). But I really enjoyed testing it out, and all the more because this was my first foray into Slumberhouse. All in all, an excellent start to my exploration of this daring and avant-garde indie house!

25 July, 2014

purplebird7's avatar

This is the Slumberhouse I most wanted to try, based on the notes. I'm an evergreen freak, especially pine, fir, and spruce. This perfume smells like a walk out in the forest. Fabulous. I could wear this easily. To me, it smells primarily of balsam fir absolute. I'm not getting any smoky notes -- no burned smell, no remnants of a fire -- even though I'm sensitive to those, and I dislike them. So, this is surprisingly easy on my nose. Rather, it's more like frankincense.

It is strong, though. I didn't even do a full spray, and it's still enough. The initial hit of broken branches, sap, and crushed needles is heavenly. It smells like a long-lost, pine bubble bath that I used as a child -- a dark green liquid in a bottle that foamed in the tub and filled the entire bathroom with the scent of a Colorado mountain in the summer. (Alas, it disappeared like many of wonderful products.)

After more than an hour, Norne still smells great, but a soapy-musky base is becoming prominent. This doesn't put me off, though. (After all, my first pine-y love was a bubble bath.) Green notes are hard to retain. Norne does an admirable job of staying true to its intent, holding onto the original essence as long as possible. I am enjoying this immensely.

My biggest reservation about buying a bottle, actually more than the 100ml $300 price, is that I have read the essential oil safety books by Martin Watt and Robert Tisserand, and I wonder if this beautiful juice has more of the terpene-rich natural substances than are recommended in order to avoid sensitizing the wearer. I'd hate to develop an allergy to my favorite trees. The fragrance, itself, is dark green and sticky just like the absolute. Just so you know. IFRA be damned here.

30th June, 2014

Jack Hunter's avatar

At first application of this scent to my skin I am getting a very concentrated smell of smoky Frankincense. It smells like it's actually melting on charcoal. If you have experienced this before it's unmistakable.

Around the main smoky incense I can smell pine sap, very green and smoky like someone has thrown pine onto the charcoal that's burning Frankincense. The scent then becomes very spicy in a green mossy coniferous way.

This scent is like a piece of art that I can appreciate but could never wear. It's just to concentrated and overwhelming for my taste. I mean I love the Mona Lisa but would never have a print of it hanging on my living room wall. lol

25 May, 2014

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

The smell of burning pine forest at night in the bottle.
    The opening is a heavy green, piny, woody, mossy and smoky scent with touch of spices.
    While the scent has that green woody piny aroma, it's extremely smoky and dark because of heavy incense.
    I can smell the burning woods, burning pine needles and burning mosses on tree's skin.
    I can feel some sort of damp feeling as well. something like patchouli that give the scent wet and a little earthy feeling. there are soft spices in the background but not too much.
    As time goes by the smoky feeling of the scent settles down and I can smell much more spices and more earthy feeling.
    The mid is not as dark and smoky as the opening, but still very exotic.
    The scent didn't change till the end.
    Projection is very good and longevity is around 9-10 hours on my skin.

20th May, 2014

Pure UK's avatar

I believed the hype with Norne and it let me down! I pictured a dark forest of pine with mist weaving through it, dank moss hanging from branches, an undiscovered wilderness. I didn't get that.

This will sound strange but it has a fizzy smell to it like a can of carbonated juice, like a can of fizzy pine!
    I like the smell but it didn't blow me away with its uniqueness or longevity. It wore off pretty quick which is a shame as others get hours from it.
    There is in old wood smell about it too which does remind me of an old fusty library or something like that. I had Norne on my neck and 1 spray of Ore on my hand, Ore was the dominant one. I checked with my other half to see if it was just my nose getting Norne fatigue but only right up to my neck could she even detect it. She also preferred Ore.
    Really wanted this to be a pine warrior but for me it can't see the woods for the pine trees, oh and yes it does leave green stains even a small drop on the skin looks like a bruise.

17 May, 2014