Santal Blush (2011)

HouseTom Ford
PerfumerYann Vasnier
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Santal Blush

Santal Blush is a shared / unisex perfume by Tom Ford. The scent was launched in 2011 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Yann Vasnier

Reviews of Santal Blush

Santal Blush is a light veil essence of sandalwood that lasts and radiates for many hours. Potent stuff. I like the hint of cumin at the outset to add some depth and background grounding character - could have had more of that for my taste. Every note listed for the fragrance expresses some aspect that is part of and from within the spectrum of a pure sandalwood idea or concept of what sandalwood is all about. Is this a great fragrance? No, but it is an excellent sandalwood story. The notes: Sandalwood, Cinnamon, Cumin, Fenugreek, Carrot seed, Jasmine, Rose, Ylang ylang, Benzoin, Agarwood, Musk - all play a part. In comparison to other sandalwood fragrances I've owned it is much milder and more unisex than Santal 33, less cedar than Tam Dao, and has not nearly the Indian culinary spices of Santal Mysore. But it is true to the aroma of real sandalwood oil only amped up to be much more radiant than the real stuff ever was. Best applied lightly so it hides in the mysteries and the recesses but lasts as a blush of sandalwood aroma that radiates on liquid light dust through the ethers. Sandalwood is a difficult scent to reproduce as the pure oil is so light, creamy and ethereal that it almost escapes notice when worn by itself. But it is extremely resilient as is Santal Blush. This might have been a better fragrance if Yann Vasnier had not tried to replicate sandalwood aroma so realistically and created a metaphor using bolder punctuation of spice, incense, tar and woods. I like Santal Blush, since I do enjoy sandalwood and wood scents in general. Do I like it more than the other sandalwoods mentioned above? Not sure I would go that far, but Santal Blush is an adequate portrayal of sandal wood that is flying under the radar of most wood fans. Check it out.
29th September, 2015
I'd heard about Tom Ford Santal Blush being unisex so I wanted to try it out, and while it does lean feminine, it is an interesting mix of sandalwood, musk, and spices that some men might find appealing. It's unusually soft, being pretty unoffensive / non-acidic from the very start, gradually becoming more powdery throughout its dry down. I cannot identify most of the top notes but what I get from Santal Blush is mainly the mix of the base notes.

I can see this working for some men, but not me, as I'm left far more with the "blush" (the makeup / cosmetics smell) than the "santal" (sandalwood) myself, but I'm sure it works differently on other skill.

Nothing special as far as projection or longevity, and uninspiring even as a female scent, I probably wouldn't even recommend this to women I know, especially given the price.

5 out of 10
27th May, 2015
At first glance it was unpleasant but as it wore down I thought warm and pretty. But I couldn't get away from this scent it became to overwhelming I couldn't wait to shower. Unfortunately that wasn't it, it stayed on my clothes(which I didn't even spray) and overwhelmed my closet. Now feeling nausea from this scent it's like that time I drank to many gin martinis and now when I smell gin it makes me sick. Sorry
25th February, 2015
A buttery, creamy sandalwood, with a generous pinch of spice. ln fact there is a slight curry vibe here from the cumin & fenugreek, but this accord is not at all overwhelming or sweat-like; it merely serves to give some warmth & interest to the woody notes. The heart is powdery, sweet & yet savoury. l don't get any of the listed floral notes. ln the first hour the projection is good; l get pleasant wafts of fragrance each time l move. After this it settles closer, but the drydown is a persistent, drier mix of incense smoke, wood & a subtle, suede-like leather. Unlike some other reviewers, l find that this fragrance does develop, & l would say it is definitely unisex.
l could be seriously tempted to buy a bottle of this, but oh, the price!
29th March, 2014

I smelled australian sandalwood essential oil earlier today and it smelled like curdled cedar. Incidentally, it also smelled a lot like Santal Blush.

Id blush, too.

from scent

27th June, 2013
If you like Crabtree & Evelyn's Sandalwood collection, you will like this. I'm not sure how different TF Santal Blush is from C&E's EdT Sandalwood, but in my memory, it's a near exact match.

For fun, I tested side by side TF Santal Blush, Tam Dao by Diptyque, and Santal Sacre by Lucky Scents. This is what I found - the person who said this isn't a dry scent was right... it's "juicier" than the others; where TD is warm as a sandalwood, almost a gourmand, and SS is spicy and dry, TF is moister. It is longer lasting than SS, and more bitter than TD. The cedar seems to come out in the heart note, it's not immediate.

For reference, my favourite sandalwood so far is Santal Sacre, but this one's definitely worth a bottle (for me). I also waited several hours for the base note to come out. (Dude's right who says it's mostly linear, but it does lighten) and layered some Serge Luten's Feminte du Bois. Yes, we have a winner.

Today I applied Tom Ford SB to my arms, with some tiny dabs of Bond No9 I love New York on the wrists. This afternoon, after those are dried down, I'll add FdB... By the time I get home I'm going to smell like I've been sitting in a cedar sauna, burning sandalwood incense and chewing on vanilla beans all day :)

01st May, 2013

Add your review of Santal Blush

Shop for Santal Blush products online

Shop for Santal Blush at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Santal Blush

Member images of Santal Blush

There are no member images of Santal Blush yet. Why not be the first?