Mollie Parnis (1978)

Year of Launch1978
AvailabilityDiscontinued

HouseMollie Parnis

About Mollie Parnis

Mollie Parnis is a feminine perfume by Mollie Parnis. The scent was launched in 1978

Reviews of Mollie Parnis

There is one review of Mollie Parnis.
jujy54 Show all reviews
Mollie Parnis is listed in Perfume Intelligence as being from the house of Weil, and it's pedigree shows, if not in the particular notes, in the depth and quality of composition.

MP is fruity and floral, with that late-70s/approaching 80s tuberose kick, but it is no Amarige. Despite a distinct peach note, neither does it resemble Mitsouko. Some smell cherry and rose, and some call it a rosy chypre. These notes were identified by BNer Twolf:

Top: Galbanum, peach, plum, orange blossom, anise, coriander;
Heart: Carnation, tuberose, lily, rose, jasmine, lily of the valley, heliotrope;
Base: Sandalwood, tonka, amber, civet, musk, vetiver, styrax.

Mollie starts out astringent, it has verve and elegance. Something about it even reminds me of Constant Comment or blackcurrant tea. I bought it when it first came out at Cleveland's premiere downtown department store, Halle's. I was in my early 20s and this was my first "expensive" purchase—$28 in 1978 for 2 oz EdP. I wore it for me, yet people—men and women—followed me around when I wore it. It was discontinued—don't know when—and I stretched those 2 oz over two decades, until I found some on ebay. I don't know anything that smells remotely like it, the presence of galbanum knocks the tuberose down to size. Mollie Parnis, the child of Russian immigrants, was an American designer whose foundation was dressmaking; she started in the "shmatta" trade of the Lower East Side and became designer to first ladies. A biographer states her fashion philosophy: Fashion was meant to enhance the intrinsic beauty of a woman, not overpower her, which is exactly what this unique, elegant scent does.

Further update (sept 2014):

I sent a bit of this to Barbara Herman, she of yesterdaysperfume and the book Scent and Subversion, and the note profile Yann Vasnier offers is: Fruit notes, lactones, peach, gardenia, spices, osmanthus, mushroom note.

Gardenia vice jasmine might explain the mushroominess. All in all I count Mollie Parnis amongst a trio I refer to as The Bite of Spring for their astringence, the other two being Amarige and vintage Chamade EdC.
16th March, 2012 (last edited: 03rd September, 2014)

Add your review of Mollie Parnis