L'Arbre de la Connaissance (2011)
    by Jovoy

• Bottle Designer: Unknown - Let us know

L'Arbre de la Connaissance Fragrance notes

Leaves, Fruit, Figs, Woody sandalwood, Patchouli, Fig

Reviews of L'Arbre de la Connaissance

Showing 1 to of 6 reviews.

rum's avatar
    rum
    Greece Greece

"The Tree of Knowledge"

I don't know what it is with Jovoy Paris and their choice of fragrance names, but I think they are awesome!
    Wrapped in legendary imagery, the Tree of Knowledge as this scent's name translates to, transforms the wearer to the Garden of Eden with its notes of Fig and Fig Leaves. The 'milk' found in freshly-cut figs is what oozes right from the first spritz of this heavy-duty bottle, meaning the wearer has that effect of walking in a sun-drenched Mediterranean (perhaps) forest, full of fig trees a brief moment after a heavy rain shower.
    There are many fig scents out there. Some are blended with (white) musk, others with citrus, but Jovoy's offering has a unique creamy sandalwood base which is both long lasting and projects quite strongly for several hours. Delicious!

09 January, 2014

ScentFan's avatar
    ScentFan

(Woody) Fig, Sandalwood, Patchouli, Fig Tree. What Diptyque attempted in Philosykos, Henin achieved -- the best smelling fig tree ever. It's a fragrant, light and sophisticated scent.

22 December, 2013

danicaradovanov's avatar
    danicaradovanov

Outstanding and to a certain extent dependent on skin type. This will either radiate or stay close. It smells better when radiant. My skin is a little oily and hates orange blossom, tonka usually, loves spearmint, lemongrass, resins, most citrus (except mandarin) and iris. This is radiant and diffusive on me, with a minty opening tempered by citrus that is an abstraction of a fresh green fig. It transforms into a heart of dry fig tempered with musk and wood that smells simply delicious. It ends in a sweet woody-musky drydown with a sugary element. In the first hour it's one of the most delicious, sweet, floral and fruity smells I've ever experienced.

21st November, 2013

drseid's avatar
    drseid

Some Knowledge Is Better Left Unlearned...

L'Arbre de la Connaissance opens with a coconut-like aromatic fig tree note with sharp almost aldehyde-like peach fruit and green accords in support. As the fragrance enters its early heart phase the starring fig tree note remains, though its coconut-like aspects now slightly less evident as the sharp peach fruit accord increases in intensity until it becomes co-star to the fig tree with slightly sweet green fig fruit support late. During the late dry-down the coconut-like aromatic fig tree note finally recedes as the now slightly milky less aromatic sweet fig fruit takes over as co-star teaming with the still present but slightly muted peach. Projection is very good, as is longevity at 8-10 hours on skin.

L'Arbre de la Connaissance roughly translates to "The Tree of Knowledge" and while subjected to tolerating my time with this composition I have learned quite a lot. The main thing I have learned is I dislike this stuff immensely, and the aromatic fig tree and sharp green peach do not work well together. Pretty much as soon as I applied the perfume to my wrist I knew things were going downhill fast, and unfortunately they only accelerated as time passed. The only pause to the torture was during the late dry-down as the fig tree finally dissipated, allowing the fig *fruit* to take a more prominent role and mercifully soften the composition late. The bottom line is L'Arbre de la Connaissance represents the kind of scrub-worthy composition that I wish my knowledge of could be erased, earning a "poor" 2 star out of 5 rating and an avoid recommendation except to staunch fig tree lovers.

Pros: The late dry-down was tolerable and the fragrance has very good performance.
    Cons: There is a weird peach-like fruity vibe that permeates the fig tree and it just doesen't work.

01st June, 2013

Bertie Wooster's avatar
    Bertie Wooster
    Sweden Sweden

I enjoy this scent very much, green with plenty of figue, with a haunting quality that makes me want to go back for more.

11th January, 2013

lefay's avatar
    lefay

The name translates variously as The Tree of Knowledge (a la the Garden of Eden) or The Tree of Enlightenment (the Buddha's, that is).

Based on a small sample, this has a lovely fresh opening -- just a hint of citrus, but mostly green. Then fig -- a bit of the fruit, but mostly wood. Not sweet -- just heavenly fig, leaves, and woods. Perfect for spring and summer, but probably great beside a fireplace, too. I'm not big on "clean" fragrances, but this could be characterized as clean, and dry, and somewhat cool.

Bought the bottle (nice heavy glass in a presentation box), and the character of the juice seems different somehow. I'm not getting much citrus now. The quality is warmer yet paradoxically more herbal, and somewhat indolic. The fruit note, wet and dense, is heavier. I preferred the scent impression I got from the sample (using a dabber, not a spray). There are no animalic notes in the descriptions I've read, but something a bit musky is fighting the fresh greenness I enjoyed so much initially.

I would be very interested in others' impressions.

17 May, 2012 (Last Edited: 09 May, 2013)

Add your review of L'Arbre de la Connaissance