Baque (2012)

Year of Launch2012

HouseSlumberhouse
PerfumerJosh Lobb

About Baque

Baque is a shared / unisex perfume by Slumberhouse. The scent was launched in 2012 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Josh Lobb

Reviews of Baque

Baque opens with a blast of dark rum and coconut, but it's about to question your olfactory senses. The very brief opening of what appears to be a gourmand boozy type of fragrance, now become herbal, fruity, tobacco. It's a really hard to describe one in that stage.. it takes a few moment before the tobacco takes center stage. The herbal note would make you think it has a ton of basil or even oregano in it. I wanna say I smell some apricot, but it's probably not an oil, rather, an accord one must make, and replicating it seems impossible. I get a fuzzy skinned fruit kind of smell, but apricot, maybe not.

This fragrance will send your olfactory senses through twists and turns on a wild ride, and that's just in the opening. The middle settles more into a tobacco-centric frag, and the base gets a little boring with cedar and vanilla. Though we know, there are no base notes that have note already been done somewhere else, there are only some notes that can carry into the base, and vanilla and woods are definitely two. Thanks to the creator for not boring us with tonka and Iso E, or boring amber. I feel this one could have easily has an amber heavy base and still been good, but the combo of vanilla and cedar was a good choice, giving us something a little fresh, a little less utilized in perfumery.

Bravo, Slumberhouse. Although I am not a die hard fan of this house, I certainly respect and appreciate what the creator has done, something we don't see too often. I find the prices a bit too high for my personal taste, already having a huge collection, I wouldn't wear his fragrances often. Although I feel everyone on this website and reading needs to smell what this man can do. If these sold more at the Tauer price point ($100-$110 or so) a bottle, this house would be at stores everywhere, imho.
02nd February, 2020
Genre: Woody Oriental

A sweet dried fruit and tobacco composition in what I consider to be the typical, dense, viscous Slumberhouse style. Not necessarily the most nuanced or distinctive scent in Josh Lobb’s current lineup (those would be New Sibet and Norne, respectively), but appealing enough, especially on a cold, damp Pacific Northwest winter night.
03rd July, 2018
This is another one in the oriental style that I associate with Opium Pour Homme edp. This smells like a great take on it. It has the feel of what I would expect, or hope for, from an independent, or niche, perfume company: a rich, complex, small-batch-production feel, more natural smelling than a mass-market fragrance.

The base isn't a problem, necessarily, but it becomes simplistically one-dimensional sweetness - benzoin, it smells like to me.
02nd July, 2018
I was glad to obtain Baque via blind buy after it was reintroduced in 2017 and while it's not up to the very high level of most the house's perfumes, it's still strong and leaves an impression.

I echo the reviewer who likened it to stewed fruits, as I repeatedly turn to this analogy. Genre-wise, it's boozy and woody more so than fruity, though, and while I get hints of tobacco leaf, it feels wholly dominated by the apricot and vanilla that render the final product so sweet.
It's slightly creamy and spicy as well but these are lesser descriptors.

Baque's longevity is still excellent like most Slumberhouse fragrances but its projection is certainly slightly lower than most of the house's other offerings.

Certainly this is one I'd recommend fans of Slumberhouse trying as there's a thread in it that connects it Josh's other creations, but for those new to the house, it does not represent its best, in my opinion. Still, a bottle I'm happy to hang onto and occasionally use.

7 out of 10
11th March, 2018
Update review:

Now that I've spent more time with Baque, I've come to appreciate it even more. This is an excellent fragrance. Where before I was picking up mostly tobacco, (which smells great by the way), I am now smelling the apricot, the cedar, and the vanilla. These show up later in the dry down, or at least, that's when I can smell them. The initial blast has been the tobacco leaf, but I'm extremely excited to smell the complexity that Baque holds. I look forward to continuing my exploration of Baque. I'm very grateful to IsoESuperman for helping a brother out with the purchase of this amazing fragrance by Josh Lobb and Slumberhouse! IsoESupes...you are a true gentleman!!!
11th October, 2017 (last edited: 14th November, 2017)
This. This tobacco. This is what I wanted to come out of my SL Fumerie Turque bottle.

Frog Morton - On the Town (Latakia) pipe tobacco in the tin some dry dusty hay and some prune. What's that? The pyramid says apricot? haha OK then, apricot it is.

Brilliant and simple.

Buy It Now for only: $48.95

Buy It Now for only: $89.95

Buy It Now for only: $132.95
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Slumberhouse Jeke 30ML (Two samples included. Baque and New Sibet)

End Date: Thursday Mar-12-2020 20:17:17 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $350.00

Slumberhouse Baque 1ml 0.04oz Sample Decant

End Date: Sunday Mar-22-2020 10:33:29 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $20.00

Member images of Baque

There are no member images of Baque yet. Why not be the first?