Eau Sauvage Parfum (2012)
by Christian Dior

Eau Sauvage Parfum information

Year of Launch2012

HouseChristian Dior
PerfumerFrançois Demachy
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About Eau Sauvage Parfum

Eau Sauvage Parfum is a masculine fragrance by Christian Dior. The scent was launched in 2012 and the fragrance was created by perfumer François Demachy

Eau Sauvage Parfum fragrance notes

Reviews of Eau Sauvage Parfum

After some poking around downtown Toronto, I found a 2017 edit of Eau Sauvage Parfum. A first reaction on the mouillette was "weird and disappointing." I hadn't known what to expect, but I hadn't expected a blast of very nearly lemony cedrat. Blech! Also, WTF? But I persisted, sharing all of the above with the sales associate as I spritzed some on my wrist, then waving my arm around for emphasis.
As we chatted, something marvellous happened; one of those rare moments as a perfumista/fragrance bro/insane collector. As soon as that first massive waft of citrus passed the scent transformed into... a parfum concentration of classic Eau Sauvage, i.e. nothing like the 2012 edition but very much like the original and, unlike the 2012, precisely what it says on the bottle. In some respects, more like the original Eau Sauvage than the current anaemic reformulation.
This with two important differences. First, Francois Demachy has dialled down the petitgrain of the original, so much so it manages to feel like a parfum concentration of the original without merely being a parfum concentration of the original (for this, see Eau Sauvage Extreme, essential to my collection but essentially unwearable, at least on my skin).
Which brings me to the second difference and this... this is where the magic happens. Several minutes in - I will pay more attention to precisely how many minutes on a second wearing - there is another shift. First, the blast of bergamot and cedrat, then the parfum concentration Eau Sauvage, and then, once again myrrh, myrrh, myrrh!
Somehow Demachy has created something respectful not only of Eau Sauvage but also respectful of the first pass at Eau Sauvage Parfum. It was immediately obvious I was wearing something new, something much more wearable, but it took away nothing of the essential beauty of the 2012 formulation. If you don't have both editions handy, the best comparison I can make is between Guerlain's 2003 Habit Rouge EDP and the current Habit Rouge EDT. The EDP is a rich - dare I say, thicc? - oriental next to the dandy-ish, lighter (arguably deceptively so) EDT.
Here, Habit Rouge EDP stands for the 2012 Eau Sauvage Parfum while the 2017 is the less luxe but much more wearable Habit Rouge EDT. And here, just like the deceptively lighter EDT, this lighter edition of Eau Sauvage Parfum has LIFT. It was a bit of a risk wearing it after it's initial effect on paper so I was cautious with the atomizer. It might have been 'half a spray' (so to speak) but it is projecting like a beast and it.. is... gorgeous.
I say "is" because it is three hour's gone and the same modest spritz to the wrist has me sitting in a comfy cloud of myrrh, fit as a gift for the King of Kings. I have been saving a second spray - did I mention it was full-bottle worthy? - so as to write all of this as a true first impression.
Dior: I hereby forgive you for Sauvage. You are redeemed and I was wrong to doubt.
11th August, 2017
I believe I have the reformulated version of this. The batch code indicates it was produced in February of 2017. I tried the original formula and really loved it. So much so that I bought 200ml.

I got the first twang that I may have made a mistake when I noticed the color of the juice was much lighter than the bright green I remembered from the tester.

My nose isn't pro by any means but this stuff was nothing like I rememberd...it seemed to have been stripped of everything that made it interesting. The myrrh. The vetiver. The boldness and masculine quality of it.

It's now just citrus, citrus, citrus all the way through the drydown and I'm really disapointed.
03rd May, 2017
This is blended fantastically well and has wonderful performance..each stage evolves slowly over the course of the day ..the overall feel of this fragrance is like others have said, no nonsense straight to the point. It doesn't care who likes it and who doesn't but you will smell it. Very masculine scent with bergamot used in the opening and myrrh and vetiver used in the mid notes, in the final stages which remain potent I can detect an orange peel and slight vanilla that I also detect in dior homme parfum, very faint tho and signature demachy. Price point represents an absolute bargain for the quality and performance.
27th February, 2017 (last edited: 28th June, 2017)
This stuff is great! I never bothered to try the EDT because I assumed it was an old man scent judging by the packaging. I can certainly say that I'm glad I picked up a sample at Sephora. This smells a lot like Guerlain's Vetiver mixed with a little bit of Habit Rouge. The vetiver note is a dirty, earthy, rooty one and the citrus is somewhat faint, but pleasant. There is definitely a medium strength powder note in here, which isn't my favorite, but not a dealbreaker.

TLDR
Mix Guerlain's Vetiver and Habit Rouge together and you'll know what Dior Eau Sauvage smells like.
22nd December, 2016
Smooth, satisfying rework of the EdT. Eau Sauvage has a classic nature that isn't loud nor cloying. It shimmers between the bergamot-myrrh-vetiver notes like a dignified dance between partners. It has a powdery quality that is spicy and staid at the same time. A go to scent for me.
08th December, 2016
Stardate: 20160908

A nice citrusy powder. I don't get much vetiver. I do get some vanilla.
I think this is a decent fragrance and maybe more wearable these days than EdT as it lacks that funkiness.
08th September, 2016