Patchouli
by Murdock

Patchouli information

HouseMurdock

About Patchouli

Patchouli is a masculine fragrance by Murdock.

Patchouli fragrance notes

Reviews of Patchouli

Murdock Patchouli (2010) is a fresh, bright, dusty patchouli fragrance given a proper barbershop cologne treatment with a bit of dandy flair thrown in for good measure. Some may compare it to Terre d'Hermes (2006) because of the prominent interaction between citrus, geranium, and patchouli, but I assure you that this is a different fragrance where it counts. Murdock Patchouli plays a similar tune to JB by Jack Black (2010), infusing black pepper in the top of the fragrance to really bring out the bright facets of the geranium core, it just ends in dry patchouli closer to the aforementioned Terre d'Hermes rather than ending in a smear of synthetic woods notes like the Jack Black (although good in it's own right). The focus here is still on patchouli despite the complex note pyramid listed, but Murdock has eased us into the note rather than built it up with animalics or vanilla to smash your head in like something such as Givenchy Gentleman (1974) and Giorgio Beverly Hills for Men (1984). I like those much more assertive patchouli too, but I imagine not everyone does, and with most other alternatives being variations on the head shop theme, it's nice to have something like this available.

The opening is bergamot, petitgrain, and black pepper. Cardamom and nutmeg enter to give a spicy dustiness that lingers into the dry down. The geranium comes into play vividly after just a few minutes, polishing up nicely with some hedione and just a speck of clean rose. There is no ylang-ylang to my nose, despite being listed, but the patchouli makes its way into the picture after about 30 minutes, leaving to a three-way between the pepper, geranium, and that patchouli which comes closest to Terre d'Hermes in overall effect. The pepper dies down as the scent becomes closer to the skin, and from there Murdock Patchouli becomes mostly geranium, then mostly geranium-touched patchouli, with some late-stage incense and amber warmth. There isn't the industrial-sized dose of Iso E Super here like in JB or Terre, so no risk of going anosmic to Murdock Patchouli, but also not a radioactive field of projection either, and this is still a cologne so wear time won't go much over 6 hours. Perfectly dandy in tone thanks to the florals, and perfectly barbershop in longevity, Murdock Patchouli will see you right on a casual day at home or the office.

My only bit of complaint is paying $115US for a bottle of cologne with cologne performance, when pound-for-pound either JB by Jack Black or Terre d'Hermes have better value, even if the former focuses on other notes like eucalyptus while the latter has the flint/mineralic elements that set it apart. I suppose if you're the kind of guy that shops at Nordstrom or other higher-end stores that stock Murdock products, then this price point may not seem unreasonable, especially if you frequent the niche or luxury men's products that tend to be carried there, I'm just speaking from purely "average Joe" perspective. I don't know who the nose for this brand is but they surely have their head in the right place here, as there simply aren't enough patchouli fragrances that veer away from the thicker, oilier aspects of the plant that tend to be the focus with perfumes that place it at the center of a composition. This should be pretty easy to test and there is even a sampler size to buy if you can't find a way to walk in and spritz, with fans of modern fresh aromatics or dandy revival scents in particular advised to try it. Thumbs up!
06th January, 2020
Just picked this up and it is THE patchouli scent I've been looking for. Clean and fresh -- with a hint of the slightly earthy patchouli I wanted. On the initial spray I definitely detect the rose as others have noted, but then the patchouli comes though loud and clear. I'm not a scentologist by any means, but this glorious fragrance is a real winner in my book. It's clean, elegant, and class in a bottle. Having purchased other patchouli-heavy scents in the past and been disappointed, I was thankful that this actually worked for me.
21st February, 2019
Murdock Patchouli is pretty nice, but I get little or no patchouli. It certainly would not remind you of "hippie" patchouli or Givenchy, or any "real" patchouli fragrances. I like it fairly well, but I have to say I don't love it. It's all right. I suppose on those diffident days, I might reach for this very generous sampler that will last, and last. It might grow on me...and if the ladies like it, well, that would be a plus.
22nd December, 2018
Not sure who the nose behind Murdock's fragrance is but they sure know their stuff. I own Black Tea which is much loved by certain members of this forum and I love it to. But this is better.

Think traditional barbershop cologne with some really subtle and smooth patchouli with a bit of rose. Very manly and undeniably classic. Lighter version of Patchouli Nobile.

05th January, 2018 (last edited: 28th February, 2020)
Believe me guys, this fragrance will not disappont you for sure. Murdock Patchouli is indeed an extraordinary combination of earthy patchouli, resins, indolent rose, fresh dusty spices, a touch of frankincense and leather. It smells holy and exotic (but contemporary at same time) producing an incredibly velvety earthy-spicy wave dancing in the air for metres. The aroma is luxuriant and almost mystic but fantastically balanced and velvety. At the beginning the spices are fresh, more than vaguely barber-shop, dusty, rooty and intoxicating, the note of cardamom provides an almost aqueous (in a while prickly due pepper and cloves) vibe soon coming out more and more dusty and articulated. I detect several diverse nuances in the air, a touch of rose for sure, musk, frankincense, a growing up leather and boise resins imprinting a deeply woodsy general vibe (all around a main incensey rootiness). The birch tar in particular is really heady and provides a "close to resinous aoudh" sort of feel (which seems to be smokey incensey so far). The connection between olibanum, earthy patchouli, rose, geranium, moss, dry spices, suede and further conjures me more that vaguely one of my absolute favorite patchoulies around, I mean that great Etro exotic Patchouly which is one of the highest representations of the main theme around. The Etro's one is more straightforward over the note of patchouli, is sharper though finally faintly soothed by a minimal touch of vanilla and powdery amber (and stronger over geranium while in here the rose is more featuring in my opinion) while the Murdock's one is more resinous (fir resins/olibanum), far more spicy (equally leathery in my opinion), smoky and woodsy. A touch of ylang-ylang provides that dose of "far in the memory" exoticism which makes me dreaming far lands beyond the "world's borderlines". I find too so sexy and mysterious this fragrance which anyway preserves a modern and dynamic twist provided by well "cleaned" aromatic, fresh, leathery and mild spicy elements. Highly, highly, highly recommended.
16th September, 2014
It opens with a fresh soft spicyness with patchouli, cardamom with a dose of pepper and it smells very nice. The patchouli is very earthy and low key, it never overwhelms but is subtlely blended amongst other notes but is still the spicy heart of the fragrance.

I can pick up some florals in the midnotes mixing with the earthy spicy patchouli which is probably what is giving the scent that freshness in the opening. In the basenotes you can smell the earthy patchouli on a light bed of Frankincense and I have to say it smells really nice .

The marketing is spot on with this scent as I find it sensual & mysterious and also a bit sexy, a good light spicy modern barbershop cologne that never overwhelms or outstays it's welcome. I get about five hours in longevity and it has arm length projection.

Another Murdock winner for me and this is going straight into my rotation, I just love the modern barbershop style of this house where the fragrances are clean,masculine and can be worn anywhere and at anytime. A big thumbs up from me!
15th December, 2012

Add your review of Patchouli

Shop for Patchouli products online

Member images of Patchouli

There are no member images of Patchouli yet. Why not be the first?