Eau de Shalimar (2008)

HouseGuerlain
PerfumerJean Paul Guerlain
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About Eau de Shalimar

Eau de Shalimar is a feminine perfume by Guerlain. The scent was launched in 2008 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Jean Paul Guerlain

Eau de Shalimar fragrance notes

Reviews of Eau de Shalimar

When compared to vintage Shalimar's home made pain d'épice this is nothing more than an industrial brioche, the sort of sweet, soft, vanillic white bread you find at the supermarket in a plastic bag.

15th September, 2018
This is a great flanker of the original. I don't get any orange on the top but, I do smell the bergamot and lime. Rose and jasmine in the middle - I smell those, also. the rose, in particular stands out. I think the citrus at the beginning and the rose in the middle are what makes this so different from original Shalimar. The base is classic vanilla and resin. Now and then I get a whiff of iris. A lighter version of Shalimar indeed. I'll stick with my bottles of original and the Mexican Vanilla version. However, there are one or two other flankers I may try in the future.
19th March, 2018
This fragrance gets less love than it should, I think. It's taken plenty of criticism from Shalimar purists for being insubstantial and sweet and consequently, somehow immature and less sophisticated. It's neither of those things, despite being pretty and undemanding. The Shalimar heart and base are instantly recognisable and due to the softer top notes in EdS, make themselves known faster than in the full-fat original.
I should say that I love Shalimar. It was the scent that got me interested in the world of fragrance and the first perfume I bought with the intent of understanding it as much as wearing it. 6 years later, I still find it challenging and tend to wear it only when the weather, my mood, my wardrobe, my date and the planets are all in perfect alignment. Each time I wear it, I am knocked out by its beauty, depth and complexity; each time I wear it, I am distracted from what I am *supposed* to be doing by my need to engage with the fragrance, analyse and appreciate it. I have a vintage extrait, a vintage PDT and a relatively recent EDT; all of them without exception demand my attention in some way or another. EdS gives me the opportunity to wear Shalimar just for the sheer pleasure of it, without having to think about applying 40 minutes before I leave the house, or whether it might set off someone's rhinitis, be overpowering in a car or clash with the wine. I truly love Shalimar, but I'm on a long journey with it - EdS is my pretty shortcut home.
31st March, 2017
Oviatt Show all reviews
It is always a risk, messing with a classic--especially one as iconic as Shalimar. Eau de Shalimar achieves its goal of being a lighter, fresher version of this classic oriental. The top notes are lifted with a bright and light lemon/lime/bergamot note--literally good enough to eat--and the base notes are relieved of some of the tonka and rich incense (resin notes are listed instead of the traditional opoponax) but the rest is pure Shalimar. The vanilla is still there since it wouldn't me Shalimar without it. This is not a watery scent; it has more freshness than classic Shalimar but is still an Eau de Toilette and has excellent lasting power. Great for Shalimar wearers in warm climates or for those who do not want the heavy French formality of the original but love the citrus/floral/incense/vanilla dream that is Shalimar.
27th May, 2016
Shalimar Cake (with recipe)

"Let them eat cake" The utterance is attributed to Marie Antoinette upon hearing that the peasants were rioting due to the scarcity of bread. Let's attribute it, equally falsely, to Jean Paul Guerlain. Boil a lb of sultanas for five minutes, strain off water and allow half a pound of chopped butter and three quarter pound of sugar to melt in the hot fruit. Let it cool to tepid. Add 1 tsp each of almond essence, your best Madagascar vanilla essence and lemon essence and a pinch of salt. Breathe in the perfume of Eau de Shalimar. Yes, it's the batter. Add three well beaten large eggs together with three quarter lb of standard flour and a tsp of Baking Powder. Lift your perfume bottle high in the air and spritz it three times.( assuming there are no babies present) Bake in two loaf tins or one large extendable one in a moderate oven for 1 and a half hours. When cold serve with Earl Grey tea in an elegant salon similar to the one I saw Jean Paul interviewed in when the BBC screened their Perfume Series. You and the cake will be as one, better than sex, better than perfume.

Pros: Let us eat Cake
Cons: Legere, where art thou?"

27th August, 2013
Very sweet and dense. Smells like lemon poundcake. Really good lemon poundcake. Makes me want a nice cup of tea.
29th August, 2012

Add your review of Eau de Shalimar

Shop for Eau de Shalimar products online

Shop for Eau de Shalimar at online perfumeries

Guerlain Shalimar Cologne Eau de Toilette 3 oz NEW

End Date: Tuesday Jan-15-2019 21:37:35 PST
Buy It Now for only: $69.00
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Shalimar By Guerlain For Women Eau De Cologne Spray 2.5 oz (Pack of 3)

End Date: Tuesday Jan-15-2019 22:47:33 PST
Buy It Now for only: $129.63
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Shalimar By Guerlain For Women Eau De Cologne Spray 2.5 oz (Pack of 4)

End Date: Wednesday Jan-16-2019 0:47:18 PST
Buy It Now for only: $169.99
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Shalimar By Guerlain For Women Eau De Cologne Spray 2.5 oz (Pack of 5)

End Date: Wednesday Jan-16-2019 3:18:16 PST

Shalimar Souffle De Parfum Perfume by Guerlain, 3 oz Eau De Parfum Spray

End Date: Wednesday Jan-16-2019 4:13:03 PST
Buy It Now for only: $68.35
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Shalimar By Guerlain For Women Eau De Cologne Spray 2.5 oz (Pack of 6)

End Date: Wednesday Jan-16-2019 5:34:02 PST

VINTAGE SHALIMAR by GUERLAIN EAU DE TOILETTE 3 Oz Bottle

End Date: Wednesday Jan-16-2019 7:46:01 PST
Buy It Now for only: $99.99
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

RARE VINTAGE HUGE SHALIMAR GUERLAIN EAU DE COLOGNE 6.8 oz ?

End Date: Wednesday Jan-16-2019 8:13:10 PST
Buy It Now for only: $99.00

Member images of Eau de Shalimar

There are no member images of Eau de Shalimar yet. Why not be the first?