Arizona (2011)

Year of Launch2011

HouseOlympic Orchids
PerfumerEllen Covey

About Arizona

A dry, woody fragrance inspired by the evergreen forests of the Arizona high country on a sun-warmed summer day. The nose behind the fragrance is Ellen Covey.

Arizona fragrance notes

Reviews of Arizona

I must admit to a bit of disappointment. I was hoping for more pine and coniferous notes. I'm picking up high desert ground cover...the sage brush and chaparral notes. I'm also picking up a slight medicinal vibe with a plasticky edge. That was my impression of the initial opening. As Arizona dried down, I got small hints of pine, which was nice. This is a complex fragrance and will require several more wears to get a good feel for it. The sillage waned at about the 3.5 hour mark. The longevity stood up better though, and at about the 5 hour mark, it started to remind me a little bit of Wald, which I quite enjoy. I'm giving this a thumbs up, as it is green and improved in the dry down to my nose. I'll try it again soon.
23rd September, 2016
A 5-star thumbs up from me. I don't give those easily.
Green, coniferous, resinous, dry, sharp, aromatic, dusky. All the qualities I appreciate in a scent. Dense, almost "full-bodied" in construction, with a fruity note from the juniper that is almost like bergamot. Notes reminiscent of wild mint, artemesia, wild fennel, and scrubby undergrowth. In style, much like the Juniper Ridge foraged scents. Very satisfying to wear, and good longevity. A delight!
14th September, 2016
Maybe it's because I live in Arizona, but I love this fragrance. I wear it happily in the summer and I don't find it especially masculine. The sweet acacia gives it a beautiful sweet creamy floralcy that is very true to the flower growing along the sidewalk in front of my house. The juniper and sage recall the high plains. This is the kind of fragrance that can take you on a journey.
27th April, 2016
A decent entry into the rather small club of ‘dry forest’ perfumes, Arizona gives the wearer a wonderful opening blast of the great outdoors with the inviting scent of conifers – their green needles, their resins, their wax – and the twigs and parched earth of the forest floor.
This is a cologne strength offering (unlike most others in the Olympic Orchids line), so needs liberal application. Has an unsettling mid-phase where soapy lavender tries to tame something that deserves to remain wild and free. Fortunately it morphs into something more anisic that blows better in the breeze.
Uncomplicated, perhaps simple, but satisfying nonetheless.
30th April, 2015
danieq Show all reviews
Pungent Pine

It's a really crisp scent, perfect for winter but definitely not a scent I'd wear. However, I think it would be great for a man. It smells just like a pine scented candle I own. It's a very pungent pine scent with a bit of smoke to it. It says it has a hint of wildflower but I'm not getting any wildflower. There does seem to be a tiny hint of something like brown sugar though.

If you're looking for a pine scent which reminds you of being fireside on cold winter nights, this might be worth a try.

Pros: Very strong outdoorsy scent
Cons: Has no feminine character at all"

13th August, 2013
I was going to give this a neutral rating, because the opening struck a wrong chord with me. Something resinous and balsamic was anesthetizing the lively evergreen note. Reading what the earlier review by rogalal, I'd be inclined to imagine it was the unfocused quality of some naturals.

Anyway, about an hour into wearing this, an intriguing perfume appeared. There was that jammy conifer, along with dry and freshly cut wood, and a hint of smoke.

The dry down artfully evokes a nature walk, and I like that.
04th April, 2013 (last edited: 14th May, 2015)

Add your review of Arizona

Shop for Arizona products online

Search Amazon for Arizona

Member images of Arizona

There are no member images of Arizona yet. Why not be the first?