Play Black (2012)

Play Black information

Year of Launch2012

HouseComme des Garçons

About Play Black

Play Black is a shared / unisex perfume by Comme des Garçons. The scent was launched in 2012

Play Black fragrance notes

Reviews of Play Black

Well, some reviewers find the birch tar note too light.... that is not the case with me! Au contraire, for me it sent the thumb downwards.
I liked the opening, peppery and woody, with a hint of herbs.
But then the birch tar delivered its typical heavy, fairly sweet, smoky note. It's all I can smell, and after 30 seconds I grew very tired of it.
05th April, 2013
A really great, dark, casual scent. My favorite of the play series. Very peppery and a slight incense smell to it. I also get some tea in the background. This is a pretty overlooked scent because of its recent release and because CdG has the dark, woody, incense department covered. Besides that, I see nothing wrong with this scent! Great longevity as well!
22nd March, 2013
I was really hoping the birch tar note would be a little heavier in this - it for me, would really bring home the "Play" association via the creosote odor from wooden playground equipment in the Southern USA where I grew up. The opening black pepper blast, at least on my skin, dries to a very faint black pepper and thyme that is neither unpleasant nor very long lasting. And forget about sillage; I can smell the plain soap I showered with this morning more than the Play Black on my wrists.
30th July, 2012
There is an astringent quality to this incense fragrance from its black tea, thyme and incense base. All the notes are dark notes that compliment a dark but reserved theme. You've got some birch tar, some violet wood. Nothing is overtly synthetic in this scent profile and also there are no heavy leather, dark smoke, or asphalt tar associations - but it is a pleasant incense heart that that is darkened to shades of grey at every turn. I don't find this very playful but it is light and refreshing for a fragrance with so many dark notes. This is my third choice preference in the series of three Play colors (Green, then Red) but it is an excellent choice for a light fragrance with a slightly serious side.
02nd June, 2012

Add your review of Play Black

Shop for Play Black products online

Search Amazon for Play Black

Member images of Play Black

There are no member images of Play Black yet. Why not be the first?