Les Déserts d'Orient - Encens Mythique d'Orient (2012)
by Guerlain

Les Déserts d'Orient - Encens Mythique d'Orient information

Year of Launch2012

HouseGuerlain
PerfumerThierry Wasser
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About Les Déserts d'Orient - Encens Mythique d'Orient

Les Déserts d'Orient - Encens Mythique d'Orient is a shared / unisex perfume by Guerlain. The scent was launched in 2012 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Thierry Wasser

Les Déserts d'Orient - Encens Mythique d'Orient fragrance notes

Reviews of Les Déserts d'Orient - Encens Mythique d'Orient

Delicate aldehydes with rose and a burning incense in the background. Usually the aldehydes are sparkly, but here they're tamed, polished. The rose feels soapy, maybe it's the combination with the aldehydes. The incense does not let it be just a clean soapy rose perfume, fortunately, and the middle phase brings spices as well as a slight pissy aroma. All this is enveloped in an animalic touch at the base that must come from the ambergris.
I was expecting waves of incense loaded with spices, but this is ultimately a rose based perfume constructed around soapy clean aldehydes, a mild burning incense with some dirtiness in the base.
07th March, 2019
Even though there aren't tons of ingredients, I find this one to be complicated - in a good way. It has a very Oriental top, in an almost traditional way. The saffron rides through, all the way to the end. The middle has a slight metal smell. Something almost industrial. It is brief; perhaps it's the vetiver. The base is indescribable for me. It is almost "head shop" scented with its incense. Mythical indeed.
23rd July, 2018
I so wanted to love this: A modern Guerlain that I could get my hands on, unlike the vintage frags that I search and scour the internet for. Plus, it had incense and ambergris--wow, what could go wrong? Well for me, pretty much everything. There is a synthetic and artificial overlay here that ruins the entire scent for me. Its extreme chemical nature gives this fragrance the sharp, almost crackling sensation of static electricity, and it permeates the perfume from top to bottom. I have tried this scent on several different occasions, thinking perhaps that different weather or a different attitude (mine) might change things for the better. Nope. :-(
29th October, 2017 (last edited: 27th April, 2018)
Basically made up of base notes with rose and saffron added to lighten and intrigue, this is an "incense" scent, with frankincense at its center. The saffron gives it its edge and the amber rounds it out. Patchouli and vetiver are delicately supportive. The whole thing is very well balanced as one would expect from a Guerlain product.

However, I am not terrifically impressed. It's well done, but with so many incense products available, there are so many others as well done or better, primarily in the Serge Lutens lines, that Mythique does not break any new or intriguing ground.

Well done, but a bit pricey for what it delivers.
24th October, 2017
Why am I just finding out about this. I love it. I have been looking for a fragrance that will replace my Parure Extrait. EMdO starts out in the same musty plummy way even though I can’t see the notes listed as being the same.
I wish I had discovered this one sooner.
20th October, 2017
I finally tested the enigmatic Encens Mystique last evening. Never before in my life have I experienced a perfume like this. It was not really what I expected it would be. It was quite light and airy, and it wore very close to the skin with only faint projection and sillage but quite good longevity. I can still detect it on my skin this morning more than twelve hours later, albeit faintly. Ironically, I could detect neither incense nor rose in it, which I found quite disappointing, but subsequent wearings may bring those notes to the fore.

In the deep dry down it changed into something which I find quite difficult to describe. It became slightly salty---a note I had never before experienced---and animalic, no doubt due to the real ambergris M. Wasser used in it. As I lay in bed it wafted around me like some sort of mystical aura, and I sort of lost my sense of sound as I contemplated the perfume. It gave me the feeling of being underwater wherein one loses the sounds of life on the surface as the water fills one's ears. It made me think of whales and of the ocean. It actually conjured images in me of marine life in a vast ocean far from any land mass and any other human beings. It felt, for want of a better description, like a primordial essence of some sort which breathed a sort of melancholia around me. It invoked a certain species of loneliness that oddly enough was not at all painful or sad. In fact, it felt quite peaceful, quite meditative and serene.

Finally, as I began to drift off to sleep, the smell of the perfume suddenly caused me to remember a film I once saw only a snippet of many years ago, albeit a riveting snippet. It was a psychological horror film called "Open Ocean," and it was based upon a true story. I had not thought of this film in a long time.

I am utterly amazed by this perfume! I cannot recall any other fragrance which took me on such an emotional "journey." It was as if the perfume led my willing spirit outside of the confines of time and space. Encens Mythique is a haunting beautiful, ethereal gem that I always want to keep in my collection at any cost.

Fragrance: 10/10

Projection: 5/10

Sillage: 5/10

Longevity: 10/10[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
22nd May, 2017 (last edited: 05th July, 2018)

Add your review of Les Déserts d'Orient - Encens Mythique d'Orient

Shop for Les Déserts d'Orient - Encens Mythique d'Orient products online

Member images of Les Déserts d'Orient - Encens Mythique d'Orient

There are no member images of Les Déserts d'Orient - Encens Mythique d'Orient yet. Why not be the first?

Features relating to Les Déserts d'Orient - Encens Mythique d'Orient