Florabotanica (2012)

PerfumerOlivier Polge
PerfumerJean-Christophe Herault
Parent CompanyBenckiser > Coty Inc > Coty Prestige

About Florabotanica

Florabotanica is a feminine perfume by Balenciaga. The scent was launched in 2012 and the fragrance was created by perfumers Jean-Christophe Herault and Olivier Polge

Florabotanica fragrance notes

Reviews of Florabotanica

I received a sample of this from Nordstrom's yesterday and to me there's a sharp, synthetic, countertop cleaner accord that burns my throat and is rapidly giving me a headache. Underneath the shrill and generic fruit and flower,(it's a stretch to try to name a specific fruit and I certainly wouldn't call this "flower" a rose) I'm getting a very slight, limp vetiver, cleansed of all its dirt and glory. And there is a minty-birchwood thing that is popular these days (though no wood is listed among the official notes). The overall effect for me is the way I have felt trying Narciso Rodriguez: grumpy, disappointed, and vowing not to bother with commercial fragrance counters ever again. Probably good for the office if you like fruity-florals of the popular variety.
26th March, 2015
An unenthusiastic thumbs up. Florabotanica kicks off with a fruity red cassis paired with green mint as a counterpoint. The fruity quality fades fairly quickly, making room for a mix of green herbs and unconvincing synthetic rose that turns out to be the long-term focus of the scent.

Aside from the silly fruit on top, Florabotanica smells to me like a study in the contrasts between masculine herbs and feminine fruity rose. It's not bad at all, but even after repeated wears, I'm just not finding it very compelling despite some interesting pappery flower sillage. In the world of high end designer perfumes that seem to have been obsessed with smelling like strawberry shampoo for the last couple of years, Florabotanica smells considerably more thoughtful and smart than its sisters, but there are other scents that combine flowers and herbs more compellingly. Thumbs up, but without much excitement.
29th January, 2014
I haven't worn a rose-based scent since Tea Rose at age 15, but lately I've found myself lingering in that section of the olfactionary garden. My last two purchases were Eau de Cartier Goutte de Rose and Balenciaga Flora Botanica. I outgrew Tea Rose's soliflore about the time my wisdom teeth came in, but this duo refreshes the demure old theme with a hot clove-carnation spice (Cartier) and a juicy, faintly minty rose cordial (Balenciaga). I don't detect the vetiver in Flora Botanica at all -- odd because I am wild for vetiver -- and the 'powdery' note reported by others sounds more like the desiccated rose petals of the potpourri jar rather than this rich, dew-spangled beauty. The Cartier is my choice for the depths of winter, when the memory of fragrant gardens is wan and tenuous and its peppery rose reminds one of baking summer days. The Balenciaga is more like personal air conditioning, to be worn on baking summer days.
21st January, 2014
First a burst of melon, then pepper, then more pepper - and that's all I get. No flowers at all -and the pepper is harsh and chemical-laden.

The classic Perles de Lalique combined pepper with rose in 2005 and came up with a great new chypre scent. Here no one even attempts to balance these elements.

Another modern disaster from the bought name of Balenciaga.
20th November, 2013 (last edited: 08th January, 2014)
Outside beauty

The freshness of the opening is nice with hints of carnation and a minty twist, with a rather disappointing rose note that on my skin never goes beyond synthetic blandness. A touch of green at times. On my skin this scent is thin with very poor silage and projection, and a longevity of three hours. I suspect in warm weather this might be less flat. Pleasantly superficial. My expectations were raised by the lovely packaging and the well-designed bottle, but the content did not live up to them. Looks great on the dressing table though.

04th October, 2013
This is most definitely a unisex frag. It might be one of the most powerful fragrances I've ever tried -- at least in terms of staying power. I sprayed it on my left arm yesterday at noon, and I can still smell it strongly through the sleeve of my canvas shirt, from 18 inches away. It's like a cross of Ivoire de Balmain (vintage) and YSL's original Paris. I'm a guy and am thinking seriously about getting a bottle. It is by no means original, but it is refreshing. It is not subtle, but subtle isn't always a virtue. It is commanding and bold. It's not a slouchy scent. Rather, it's something you might wear to a semi-formal garden party in East Hampton. Think linen pants and silk bow ties over shorts and flip-flops; mimosas over beer. This day scent is not, however, stuffy or pretentious. It's sophisticated relaxation, a hammock in the shade, a cooling balm after a day at the beach. Reminds me of my summers in Southern Maine.
22nd April, 2013

Add your review of Florabotanica

Shop for Florabotanica products online

Shop for Florabotanica at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Florabotanica

Member images of Florabotanica

There are no member images of Florabotanica yet. Why not be the first?